How do memes happen?

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 2:13:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/29/2010 1:44:00 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
It's currently the number one trending topic on twitter... why? Hell if I know.

I think i understand what a meme is from various contextual uses of the word, but would you provide a more accurate and complete definition?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 2:23:50 AM
At 7/29/2010 2:13:41 AM, innomen wrote:
At 7/29/2010 1:44:00 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
It's currently the number one trending topic on twitter... why? Hell if I know.

I think i understand what a meme is from various contextual uses of the word, but would you provide a more accurate and complete definition?

Wiki says, "The term Internet meme is used to describe a concept that spreads swiftly via the Internet.The term is a reference to the concept of memes, although this concept refers to a much broader category of cultural information.

"At its most basic, an Internet meme is simply the propagation of a digital file or hyperlink from one person to others using methods available through the Internet (for example, email, blogs, social networking sites, instant messaging, etc). The content often consists of a saying or joke, a rumor, an altered or original image, a complete website, a video clip or animation, or an offbeat news story, among many other possibilities. In simple terms, an Internet meme is an inside joke, that a large number of Internet users are in on. An Internet meme may stay the same or may evolve over time, by chance or through commentary, imitations, and parody versions, or even by collecting news accounts about itself. Internet memes have a tendency to evolve and spread extremely swiftly, sometimes going in and out of popularity in just days. They are spread organically, voluntarily, and peer to peer, rather than by compulsion, predetermined path, or completely automated means."
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 3:24:21 AM
By successfully spreading. :P It's why the term 'gone viral' is sometimes used to denote what occurs with a meme. As to why a certain idea will spread, that's a lot more complex; there's plenty of interesting literature on it too. If you want a book that deals with the basics of memes, God Wants You Dead, is an ok place to begin.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 4:06:10 AM
At 7/29/2010 3:24:21 AM, Puck wrote:
By successfully spreading. :P It's why the term 'gone viral' is sometimes used to denote what occurs with a meme. As to why a certain idea will spread, that's a lot more complex; there's plenty of interesting literature on it too. If you want a book that deals with the basics of memes, God Wants You Dead, is an ok place to begin.

What the heck is so special about that vid?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 5:09:32 AM
At 7/29/2010 4:06:10 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

it's really weird.
signature
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 2:52:56 PM
At 7/29/2010 4:06:10 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

Anon sees it, passes it to another Anon, other Anons laugh, pass it on other Anons. Eventually Anons pass it around to Anons who have already seen it, and then make jokes about it. Meanwhile it has infiltrated sites like Facebook, Digg, etc. and the general populace lol at it, and then some memes trickle down to them.

For example, Jessi Slaughter. That was all Anon's doing.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 5:33:20 PM
The first meme I can remember was goatse. That was everywhere. I remember the idiot page too. "You are an idiot. Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!" I still get that song stuck in my head.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 6:05:45 PM
There is something wrong with that video, too slow or something.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 6:46:01 PM
How do memes happen? Well, when a mommy meme and a daddy meme love each other very much...
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2010 6:47:10 PM
At 7/29/2010 6:46:01 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
How do memes happen? Well, when a mommy meme and a daddy meme love each other very much...

Haha. xD
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2010 10:26:33 PM
At 7/29/2010 6:46:01 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:

I can't laugh anymore. xD
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 11:10:51 AM
At 8/4/2010 3:00:28 AM, innomen wrote:
Pronounced meh-meh or meee meee?

Pretty sure it's just pronounced "meem", the silent e on the end changing the sound of the first e to a long vowel.