Jump to topic:

Guinan: A Short Story

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 9:28:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
El-Aurians...we are listeners, that is our chief job and our chief duty. Listening is perhaps one of the most powerful activities any person can undertake--it is the gateway to understanding. People who fail to listen miss out on the tidbits of information that piece together the fabric of the world in which we live. If knowledge is power, then listening is a proton torpedo.

I am Guinan, barkeep of the Enterprise. I am also an El-Aurian, and I have been listening for literally hundreds of years. I would like to teach you some of what I know, if not to inform or entertain, to at least instruct you in the sheer value of listening.

--------------------------------------------------

A few years back, I was on Risa, tending bar, talking to customers, getting some phaser practice in the holosuit as you do. There was a couple there from Earth. They were probably one of the few people on Risa I have ever seen not enjoying themselves.

With technology-controlled climatic perfection, infinite pastimes to engage in, and the chance of getting "jamaharon,"--which I can tell you, with the perfectly sculpted bodies of the Risans, is quiet the fun experience--it was virtually impossible not to enjoy oneself.

So, I offered to serve them a drink when they walked into the establishment I was at. They declined, but I hovered nearby cleaning tables, refilling drinks, and--as always--listening.

"Lita, you know what will happen if we don't give it to them," the man said. He had a kind of whiny, high-pitched voice that one could easily have mistaken for a five-year old child's.

"James, the money we could make with this one the black market would be incredible. We've never had a better opportunity. Either shut up and walk away or sell it. It's your choice." She, on the other hand, had a voice of pure gravel--resonant, grating, and firm.

It was clear that they were talking about a horga'hn that was resting on the table, because every now and then a Risan would walk by, see the object, and ask if the couple was looking for jamaharon. And, each and every time, the women--Lita--would touch the horga'hn protectively and positively growl at the Risan.

After a few minutes though, I had other duties to attend to, and could no longer linger on their side of the bar. I slid behind the counter and began making some drinks for other customers, when a Bajoran man walked up and sat behind the counter. He ordered water, and proceeded to furtively glance around the room.

"So, what brings you to Risa?" I asked. Having two unhappy or unrelaxed people was bad enough, but adding a third to the mix was just incredible.

"I am doing some favors for a friend. Business, of course. More water." He said. His voice was nondescript, but cold, eery. I quickly decided I didn't like him, and slipped some clear, tasteless, and potent alcohol into his refill of water.

It didn't take long for the alcohol to work through his system, and he began to blink, bleary-eyed. "Who is your friend?" I asked. Newly pliant from the booze, he responded, rather sluggishly, "A guy called Draim."

I was fairly surely I knew the name, but I just couldn't place it. "Who's he?"

Suddenly, he seemed to shake himself out of his stupor: "None of your concern." His voice was aggressive, final. It was clear I wasn't going to get any further information.

I went around the room bussing tables, and soon found myself back at the horga'hn table, where the couple was again chatting in hushed voices. "Look, it's just too risky. I want out." The man's voice was more shrill than last time.

"No. Suck it up. If you weren't such a coward we could've found a buyer by now. You want to move too cautiously."

The man had to fight to avoid screaming: "But the Syndicate..."

"SHUT UP!" The woman shouted, noticing that I was nearby and probably listening.

I paused in thought...something finally began to click...Draim...the Syndicate...And then it hit me. I went back behind my bar, and reached for my spare phaser. I slowly lifted it out from beneath the counter, and held it at the Bajoran man. "You're from the Orion Syndicate." I said it as a statement, not a question. I knew where I had heard the name of Draim before. He was a high-ranking gangster in the organization.

The Bajoran froze for a moment, before he jerked off the barstool trying to get out of the range of my phaser.

I was faster.

He vanished in a flash of yellow light. Customers began screaming, and I knew the Risan authorities would soon arrive.

I ran over to the table of the couple and pointed it at them. "What's in the horga'hn?" I demanded. Lita was paralyzed in shock, but the man seemed almost relieved to have had the choice taken away from him. "It's a microchip full of documents detailing actions by the Orion Syndicate. Blackmail."

The woman, by this time, has shrugged off her shock and was reaching for something in her bag. I vaporized the bag, and startled Lita off of her chair.

Just then, the Risan authorities arrived, and I explained the situation. The couple were arrested and the data in the horga'hn recovered.

--------------------------------------------------

The moral of this story is a simple one: listen. It might just help you find a kill an intergalactic criminal, find a microchip full of incriminating data hidden in a sex object, help you practice your aim with a firearm, and keep your bar tending job interesting.

Well, I hope that's given you a reason to, like me and all other El-Aurians, become a listener. And now, I am done talking...It's not really my thing. You can tell the next story.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 9:29:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I wrote this just so that the short story category for the fan fic awards would be viable. It's super cheesy, but whatever...I wrote it in like 10 minutes.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...