Total Posts:146|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

TOP TEN LlSTS!

airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 5:05:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Everyone likes Top 10 lists right? They are a fast and simple way to write and view categorized opinions in a quick and fun way.

So in the spirit of the fun of Top Ten lists, I am creating this thread so that everyone can submit their own fun and interesting top tens.

While there are limitless possibilities, I tend to think each list falls into one of three basic categories that I will submit an example of following the OP and I hope to see many of each posted to this thread.

Since I hope that each list may include a lot of discussion and arguments about what is included by the individual who submitted it, please include a bolded heading for each list so that it's easy to see each new list when scanning through this thread.

While what is included in each top 10 is entirely up to the individual submitting it, including a brief explanation below each choice certainly does increase the quality of the submission.

I look forward to seeing many fun, interesting and creative TOP TEN lists.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 5:08:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
============================================================

(This is an example of a "Personal top 10". Personal Top 10's are simply a statement of the opinions of the individual submitting it. These are likely to be the most common, and can often be the most interesting.)

Airmax's Top 10 favorite Video Game Franchises


This list will include my favorite video game franchises and is limited to those with at least 3 unique games. This will exclude stand alone trilogies like Mass Effect, or recreations/updates of the same game like Tetris or Pirates!.

10) Forza

While Sega GT is certainly in the debate, as far as simulation racing games go, it doesn't get any better than the Forza series.

09) Max Payne

One of the most stylistic action series out there, seemingly heavily influenced by the work of John Woo. Its writing and story lines have always been excellent, and its gameplay is sharp, unique and a lot of fun.

08) Madden NFL

While I'd certainly like to see more competition in the NFL games sphere, the Madden series has consistently had high production values and been an excellent football simulation. The fact that I buy it every year means I have to include it on this list.

07) Assassins Creed

The often mediocre stealth aspects of the series is well made up for by unique action game play and an emphasis on verticality. The settings and story lines make the series unique, and the gameplay has remained sharp and consistent. While I've found myself less interested in this series as time has gone on, I've certainly played enough of it that it has to be included on this list.

06) Super Mario

The Mario series defined an entire era of video games in terms of the side scrolling platformers. While we often use terms like Doom or GTA clone to describe similar games that followed (until it became its own genre) some ridiculously high percentage of games following Super Mario could be described in the same way, as developers did the best they could to emulate the quality of the side scrolling platformer that the game defined. Similarly, Mario 64 set an early benchmark for the move to 3D. In short, the franchise has been monumental, and though I haven't played a mario game in probably close to a decade, it has to be on the list simply for the amount of time I played it during my childhood.

05) Splinter Cell

There are plenty of great Tom Clancy games, and plenty of great stealth games. But none of those matter as much to me as this series. Splinter cell does stealth better than any other game I've played by properly balancing its mix of action and stealth elements to make each approach unique and truly put choice in the players hands. The series has evolved over the years, but it has consistently remained the best choice in the action/stealth genre.

04) Grand Theft Auto

GTA is the defining series in the "Sandbox" genre of games, and it still remains the very best. While other series have done well in recreating some of the elements that make it so much fun, none have come close to combining all of what makes the GTA series so much fun. The game play, writing, scale and innovations presented in each new iteration show exactly why these games continue to show record sales at every release.

03) Sim City

There have been other city management games released since Sim City began, but Sim City remains the first and, in my mind, still the best. While I haven't played the recently released reboot, I've thoroughly enjoyed every other Sim City game since the very first, and it's always been one of my favorite franchises in a very unique genre.

02) The Elder Scrolls

As far as RPGs go, to me, there is The Elder Scrolls, and everything else. Nothing really comes close to the massive scale, game play and unique experience that the TES series offers. Like the GTA franchise, every time there is a TES release it's an event that I get excited about, and all the games in between in either series genre are just filler until the next proper TES (or GTA) is released.

01) Civilization

As far as turn-based strategy goes, the Civilization series is the best, and if you are a fan of that genre like I am, it has to be among your favorite series of all time. In my case, it is my favorite genre, and Civilization is the reason for that. I've thoroughly enjoyed every game in the series (Starting from Civ 2) and even the simplified version for consoles, Civilization Revolution, is one of my favorite games of all time. Civilization sets the bar within its own genre, and even in terms of general improvements made to the series, shows exactly how to keep innovating and staying relevant after so many years.

Just missed the list:

Donkey Kong
Legend of Zelda
Fight Night
Need for Speed
Far Cry
Myst
Star Fox
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 5:09:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
============================================================

(This is an example of a fact based Top Ten, and ideally should include a source. While I think these will be less common, it should be interesting to see what kinds of fact based top tens are submitted, and the details included.)

Top Ten Tallest Buildings in the World

10) Petronas Tower 2 [Petronas Towers], Kuala Lumpur

Stories - 88.
Height - 1,483 ft.
Completed in 1998.

09) Petronas Tower 1 [Petronas Towers], Kuala Lumpur

Stories - 88.
Height - 1,483 ft.
Completed in 1998.

08) International Commerce Centre [Union Square], Hong Kong

Stories - 118.
Height - 1,588 ft.
Completed in 2010.

07) Shanghai World Financial Center, Shanghai

Stories - 101.
Height - 1,614 ft.
Completed in 2008.

06) Taipei 101, Taipei

Stories - 101.
Height - 1,671 ft.
Completed in 2004.

05) Chow Tai Fook Centre [Guangzhou Twin Towers]3, Guangzhou

Stories - 116.
Height - 1,739 ft.
Completed in 2016.

04) One World Trade Center [New World Trade Center], New York City

Stories - 104.
Height - 1,776 ft.
Completed in 2014.

03) Makkah Clock Royal Tower [Abraj Al Bait], Makkah

Stories - 120.
Height - 1,972 ft.
Completed in 2012

02) Shanghai Tower, Shanghai

Stories - 121.
Height - 2,074 ft.
Completed in 2014.

01) Burj Khalifa, Dubai

Stories - 163.
Height - 2,717 ft.
Completed in 2010.

Source:
http://www.factmonster.com...
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 5:13:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
============================================================

(This is an example of overly specific and often random criteria. These lists will either be fact or opinion based, in this case fact-based. These are intended to allow for some greater creativity, and expand the spectrum of the types of Top Ten lists that will be included.)

Top Ten Highest Grossing films of all time excluding non-original source material, repeated IP, or is directed by James Cameron

This list will include the above as described, or in other words, any movie will be excluded if it is a sequel (Iron Man 3), is from unoriginal source material (Titanic, Jurassic Park), is from already established IP (Frozen, The Avengers), or is directed by James Cameron (Titanic, Avatar). The list is based off of worldwide boxoffice stats. "Overall" refers to it's ranking on the Top 100 highest grossing films overall, and the dollar amount is the films total worldwide gross earnings (not adjusted for inflation).

10) The Sixth Sense

Overall - 77
$672.8

09) Forrest Gump

Overall - 76
$677.9m

08) Gravity

Overall - 66
$716.4m

07) 2012

Overall - 54
$769.7m

06) Star Wars

Overall - 52
$775.4m

05) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Overall - 48
$792,910,554

04) Independence Day

Overall - 45
$817,400,891

03) Inception

Overall - 43
$825,532,764

02) Finding Nemo

Overall - 29
$936,743,261

01) The Lion King

Overall - 21.
$987,483,777

Just missed the list:

Interstellar - 78
Kung Fu Panda - 86
The Incredibles - 87
Hancock - 89
Ratatouille - 92
Mamma Mia! - 96

Interesting notes that may only interest me:

- If the arbitrary James Cameron exclusion criteria isn't included, Avatar is easily #1 on this list.

- Out of the top 100 films, only 16 are qualified for this list - meaning, only 16 are original IPs (excluding Avatar).

- ET, a qualifier for this list, was the highest grossing film of all time (1982) until it was surpassed by Jurassic Park (1993) which is disqualified from this list. It wouldn't be until 1994 (14 years later) that a qualifier for this list would surpass it - The Lion King, which retains the #1 spot on this list still (and 21 overall).

- The top 2, and 3 of the top 10 films on this list are animated. 5 of the 16 qualifiers in the top 100 are animated films.

- If you have ever complained that new and popular films seem to lack a certain amount of originality, this list should give you a good idea of why that is.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.boxofficemojo.com...
Debate.org Moderator
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 5:22:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 5:13:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
09) Forrest Gump

Overall - 76
$677.9m

oh my god max forrest gump was based on a book
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 5:31:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 5:22:36 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 4/19/2015 5:13:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
09) Forrest Gump

Overall - 76
$677.9m

oh my god max forrest gump was based on a book

I had a feeling something in that list would be wrong since I didn't spend as much time researching the material as I should have.

So Forrest Gump should be removed and Interstellar added instead.

Either way FG's removal kind of makes the point of the list, even if it isn't entirely accurate.
Debate.org Moderator
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Top Ten Series Finales

10. Last Forever (How I Met Your Mother): An incredibly strong episode. Until the last ten minutes. Had the alternate ending been used, this could easily have shot up to the number 3 or 2 spot, but it is what it is. The ending was weak, after a whole show about why two characters shouldn't have ended up together, showing time and time again that it would just end in disaster... they're put together.

9. One Tree Hill: This one is similar to "Last Forever" in the sense that it was significantly worse through unnecessary decisions. However, this is more to do with episode count than actual in-universe choices, which is why it is slightly higher. Dan Scott's death at the end of "Danny Boy" would have been the perfect ending, yet they decided to tack on two unnecessary (mainly fluff) episodes to the end. Still a good and satisfying ending, but not as good an ending as "You're my plus one" would have been.

8. Survival (Doctor Who): All in all, a good episode that just doesn't seem like a finale. While it was intentional to leave the door open for a possible reboot in the future, and the production team didn't even know it would be the last episode while making it, the final voice over seems like it could have been bigger, more conclusive.

7. Arrival (The Event): What an episode. Amazing in every way a season finale should be, most notably leaving a few things left open for future seasons to deal with. Unfortunately, the reason this episode qualifies for the list is that the show was unexpectedly cancelled before season two started, but it is still an excellent finale.

6. High School Musical 3: Senior Year (High School Musical): So fvcking satisfying. Everything about it is great, but the almost nonexistent link between it and HSM2 put it at number six as opposed to, say, 4 or 3.

5. In a Bark on the River Hex (The Minister of Chance): After Durian's cliffhanger death in the previous episode, Paul Darrow casually sliding in as the new main villain Lord Rathen flows really well with the tone of the show, and the teamup near the end is very satisfying.

4. The Last One (Friends): Everything happened, which is both a strength and weakness. Cramming so many important things made it seem a little rushed, but the great sense of finality they were able to make the audience feel easily made up for it.

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter): Wrapped everything up pretty well. The epilogue was kinda bad, and a bunch of stuff was still ignored or forgotten about, but still an exceptional ending.

2. The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events): A mysterious and uncertain ending for a mysterious and uncertain book series. Probably the best on the list as a finale, though the next one obviously trumps it due to its extremely high quality.

1. Fall Out (The Prisoner): To no one's surprise, I have selected the finale of The Prisoner to top this list. Everything about it was well done. The best part, in my opinion, was not starting with the normal intro (where the first few minutes of episode one is shown), but instead with the last few minutes of the previous episode. It stunningly showed the audience that the Village was no longer in charge, but Number 6 was. And he'd get what he wanted, from discovering Number 1's identity, to escaping the Village, and even getting one of the Number 2's to side with him!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 7:16:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 5:08:01 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
============================================================

(This is an example of a "Personal top 10". Personal Top 10's are simply a statement of the opinions of the individual submitting it. These are likely to be the most common, and can often be the most interesting.)

Airmax's Top 10 favorite Video Game Franchises


This list will include my favorite video game franchises and is limited to those with at least 3 unique games. This will exclude stand alone trilogies like Mass Effect, or recreations/updates of the same game like Tetris or Pirates!.

10) Forza

While Sega GT is certainly in the debate, as far as simulation racing games go, it doesn't get any better than the Forza series.

09) Max Payne

One of the most stylistic action series out there, seemingly heavily influenced by the work of John Woo. Its writing and story lines have always been excellent, and its gameplay is sharp, unique and a lot of fun.

08) Madden NFL

While I'd certainly like to see more competition in the NFL games sphere, the Madden series has consistently had high production values and been an excellent football simulation. The fact that I buy it every year means I have to include it on this list.

07) Assassins Creed

The often mediocre stealth aspects of the series is well made up for by unique action game play and an emphasis on verticality. The settings and story lines make the series unique, and the gameplay has remained sharp and consistent. While I've found myself less interested in this series as time has gone on, I've certainly played enough of it that it has to be included on this list.

06) Super Mario

The Mario series defined an entire era of video games in terms of the side scrolling platformers. While we often use terms like Doom or GTA clone to describe similar games that followed (until it became its own genre) some ridiculously high percentage of games following Super Mario could be described in the same way, as developers did the best they could to emulate the quality of the side scrolling platformer that the game defined. Similarly, Mario 64 set an early benchmark for the move to 3D. In short, the franchise has been monumental, and though I haven't played a mario game in probably close to a decade, it has to be on the list simply for the amount of time I played it during my childhood.

05) Splinter Cell

There are plenty of great Tom Clancy games, and plenty of great stealth games. But none of those matter as much to me as this series. Splinter cell does stealth better than any other game I've played by properly balancing its mix of action and stealth elements to make each approach unique and truly put choice in the players hands. The series has evolved over the years, but it has consistently remained the best choice in the action/stealth genre.

04) Grand Theft Auto

GTA is the defining series in the "Sandbox" genre of games, and it still remains the very best. While other series have done well in recreating some of the elements that make it so much fun, none have come close to combining all of what makes the GTA series so much fun. The game play, writing, scale and innovations presented in each new iteration show exactly why these games continue to show record sales at every release.

03) Sim City

There have been other city management games released since Sim City began, but Sim City remains the first and, in my mind, still the best. While I haven't played the recently released reboot, I've thoroughly enjoyed every other Sim City game since the very first, and it's always been one of my favorite franchises in a very unique genre.

02) The Elder Scrolls

As far as RPGs go, to me, there is The Elder Scrolls, and everything else. Nothing really comes close to the massive scale, game play and unique experience that the TES series offers. Like the GTA franchise, every time there is a TES release it's an event that I get excited about, and all the games in between in either series genre are just filler until the next proper TES (or GTA) is released.

01) Civilization

As far as turn-based strategy goes, the Civilization series is the best, and if you are a fan of that genre like I am, it has to be among your favorite series of all time. In my case, it is my favorite genre, and Civilization is the reason for that. I've thoroughly enjoyed every game in the series (Starting from Civ 2) and even the simplified version for consoles, Civilization Revolution, is one of my favorite games of all time. Civilization sets the bar within its own genre, and even in terms of general improvements made to the series, shows exactly how to keep innovating and staying relevant after so many years.


Just missed the list:

Donkey Kong
Legend of Zelda
Fight Night
Need for Speed
Far Cry
Myst
Star Fox

Why is Mass Effect excluded but Max Paine included? They're both trilogies...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 8:20:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top Ten Series Finales

Great list. I'd comment more, but I'm not really familiar with any of these shows.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 8:24:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 7:16:51 PM, bossyburrito wrote:


Why is Mass Effect excluded but Max Paine included? They're both trilogies...

That's a good point, but I view them differently as Mass Effect was a planned trilogy, while the Max Payne games were developed independently of each other.
Debate.org Moderator
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 8:34:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 8:20:58 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top Ten Series Finales

Great list. I'd comment more, but I'm not really familiar with any of these shows.

Really? I'd highly recommend the number one spot on the list. It's this show about a guy that gets kidnapped and taken to the Village, and the heads of it try to break him through continually escalating means. Not sure if you've heard of it, but The Prisoner is always a good watch!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 8:43:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Top ten a$sholes:

10. Ho Chi Minh
9. Pol Pot
8. Kim-Il Sung
7. Hideki Tojo
6. Mao Zedong
5. Ghengis Khan
4. Stalin
3. Hitler
2. Voldemort
1. Ayn Rand
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 8:56:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Top Ten Top Ten Lists:
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 9:22:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Top Ten Numbers:

1.) 1

It's #1. What more can I say?

2.) 2

It's #2. What more can I say?

3.) 3

It's #3. What more can I say?

4.) 4


It's #4. What more can I say?

5.) 5


It's #5. What more can I say?

6.) 6


It's #6. What more can I say?

7.) 7


It's #7. What more can I say?

8.) 8


It's #8. What more can I say?

9.) 9

It's #9. What more can I say?

10.) 10


It's #10. What more can I say?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 9:23:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 9:22:57 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Top Ten Numbers:

1.) 1

It's #1. What more can I say?

2.) 2

It's #2. What more can I say?

3.) 3

It's #3. What more can I say?

4.) 4


It's #4. What more can I say?

5.) 5


It's #5. What more can I say?

6.) 6


It's #6. What more can I say?


Number 6 is not a number! He is a FREE MAN!

7.) 7

It's #7. What more can I say?

8.) 8


It's #8. What more can I say?

9.) 9

It's #9. What more can I say?

10.) 10


It's #10. What more can I say?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 9:38:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Top 10 Airmax Quotes!

10. "I think you know what my views on Christianity are" ~airmax1227, in a disgusted tone

9. "I'm an awful moderator" ~airmax1227

8. "I hate the Catholic[s]" ~airmax1227

7. "I don"t care about Iceland" ~airmax1227

6. "I am an evil fascist nutjob that has no qualms about banning everyone if they even look at me the wrong way" ~airmax1227

5. "I support the belief of Holocaust denial." ~airmax1227

4. "I perpetrated [9/11]" ~airmax1227

3. "[Defacing currency] is actually pretty cool" ~airmax1227

2. "Bossy has all the qualities I find ideal in a DDO president" ~airmax1227

1. "Bluesteel and bladerunner and whiteflame are my multiaccounts" ~airmax1227
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 9:39:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 9:38:26 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top 10 Airmax Quotes!

10. "I think you know what my views on Christianity are" ~airmax1227, in a disgusted tone

9. "I'm an awful moderator" ~airmax1227

8. "I hate the Catholic[s]" ~airmax1227

: 7. "I don"t care about Iceland" ~airmax1227
:
6. "I am an evil fascist nutjob that has no qualms about banning everyone if they even look at me the wrong way" ~airmax1227

5. "I support the belief of Holocaust denial." ~airmax1227

4. "I perpetrated [9/11]" ~airmax1227

3. "[Defacing currency] is actually pretty cool" ~airmax1227

: 2. "Bossy has all the qualities I find ideal in a DDO president" ~airmax1227
:
1. "Bluesteel and bladerunner and whiteflame are my multiaccounts" ~airmax1227

Emphasis where needed.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:04:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top Ten Series Finales

10. Last Forever (How I Met Your Mother): An incredibly strong episode. Until the last ten minutes. Had the alternate ending been used, this could easily have shot up to the number 3 or 2 spot, but it is what it is. The ending was weak, after a whole show about why two characters shouldn't have ended up together, showing time and time again that it would just end in disaster... they're put together.

This is probably one of the worst finales of all time. You're right about the final ten minutes essentially negating the entire series. That is probably the worst thing a finale could ever do. I would also argue that the entire episode is garbage, though: Marshall's storyline is rushed, Barney and Robin's marriage (which had been the premise of the entire series) is ended in the first 3 minutes, and humor gave way to melancholy throughout. There are better ones out there, definitely.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:10:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:04:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top Ten Series Finales

10. Last Forever (How I Met Your Mother): An incredibly strong episode. Until the last ten minutes. Had the alternate ending been used, this could easily have shot up to the number 3 or 2 spot, but it is what it is. The ending was weak, after a whole show about why two characters shouldn't have ended up together, showing time and time again that it would just end in disaster... they're put together.

This is probably one of the worst finales of all time. You're right about the final ten minutes essentially negating the entire series. That is probably the worst thing a finale could ever do. I would also argue that the entire episode is garbage, though: Marshall's storyline is rushed, Barney and Robin's marriage (which had been the premise of the entire series) is ended in the first 3 minutes, and humor gave way to melancholy throughout. There are better ones out there, definitely.

Besides getting Robin and Barney back together, only to immediately break them up again, and getting Ted together with the Mother, only to immediately kill her, you could say that the writing in the rest of the episode was at least no *worse* than the writing in any of the final two seasons.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:12:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:04:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:


The entire writers' premise for the last season was terrible. It was "can we write an entire season where they are in a hotel. Answer: yes, but not well.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:18:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 8:43:58 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Top ten a$sholes:

10. Ho Chi Minh
9. Pol Pot
8. Kim-Il Sung
7. Hideki Tojo
6. Mao Zedong
5. Ghengis Khan
4. Stalin
3. Hitler
2. Voldemort
1. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand's a bigger jerk than Hitler or Voldemort?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:31:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:10:12 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:04:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top Ten Series Finales

10. Last Forever (How I Met Your Mother): An incredibly strong episode. Until the last ten minutes. Had the alternate ending been used, this could easily have shot up to the number 3 or 2 spot, but it is what it is. The ending was weak, after a whole show about why two characters shouldn't have ended up together, showing time and time again that it would just end in disaster... they're put together.

This is probably one of the worst finales of all time. You're right about the final ten minutes essentially negating the entire series. That is probably the worst thing a finale could ever do. I would also argue that the entire episode is garbage, though: Marshall's storyline is rushed, Barney and Robin's marriage (which had been the premise of the entire series) is ended in the first 3 minutes, and humor gave way to melancholy throughout. There are better ones out there, definitely.

Besides getting Robin and Barney back together, only to immediately break them up again, and getting Ted together with the Mother, only to immediately kill her, you could say that the writing in the rest of the episode was at least no *worse* than the writing in any of the final two seasons.

You're 100% right. I'm realizing now the foreshadowing of it all. They broke up Barney and Robin in the first few minutes as a bait-and-switch of the final season, which foreshadowed them killing the mother as a bait-and-switch of the entire series. It would be funny if the joke wasn't on us.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:41:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:31:55 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:10:12 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:04:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top Ten Series Finales

10. Last Forever (How I Met Your Mother): An incredibly strong episode. Until the last ten minutes. Had the alternate ending been used, this could easily have shot up to the number 3 or 2 spot, but it is what it is. The ending was weak, after a whole show about why two characters shouldn't have ended up together, showing time and time again that it would just end in disaster... they're put together.

This is probably one of the worst finales of all time. You're right about the final ten minutes essentially negating the entire series. That is probably the worst thing a finale could ever do. I would also argue that the entire episode is garbage, though: Marshall's storyline is rushed, Barney and Robin's marriage (which had been the premise of the entire series) is ended in the first 3 minutes, and humor gave way to melancholy throughout. There are better ones out there, definitely.

Besides getting Robin and Barney back together, only to immediately break them up again, and getting Ted together with the Mother, only to immediately kill her, you could say that the writing in the rest of the episode was at least no *worse* than the writing in any of the final two seasons.

You're 100% right. I'm realizing now the foreshadowing of it all. They broke up Barney and Robin in the first few minutes as a bait-and-switch of the final season, which foreshadowed them killing the mother as a bait-and-switch of the entire series. It would be funny if the joke wasn't on us.

HIMYM was basically a lesson in how to troll an entire tv audience. They filmed that scene with the kids in season one, so they could show it in the finale (cuz the kids were going to age). They were going to bait and switch us the ENTIRE time with "and that's how I met your aunt Robin." The problem is that that particular twist might have made sense as late as late as season 6, but by 9, it was so clear that she and Ted were not right for each other. They weren't remotely compatible.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:44:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:31:55 PM, Maikuru wrote:


I also just generally wasn't a fan of how they ever used foreshadowing on the show. The whole "goat incident" they kept tantalizing the audience with was just stupid.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Genghis_Khan
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:53:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 8:43:58 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Top ten a$sholes:

10. Ho Chi Minh
9. Pol Pot
8. Kim-Il Sung
7. Hideki Tojo
6. Mao Zedong
5. Ghengis Khan

=(

4. Stalin
3. Hitler
2. Voldemort
1. Ayn Rand
anything your heart desires
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:55:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:41:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:31:55 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:10:12 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:04:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/19/2015 7:11:03 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Top Ten Series Finales

10. Last Forever (How I Met Your Mother): An incredibly strong episode. Until the last ten minutes. Had the alternate ending been used, this could easily have shot up to the number 3 or 2 spot, but it is what it is. The ending was weak, after a whole show about why two characters shouldn't have ended up together, showing time and time again that it would just end in disaster... they're put together.

This is probably one of the worst finales of all time. You're right about the final ten minutes essentially negating the entire series. That is probably the worst thing a finale could ever do. I would also argue that the entire episode is garbage, though: Marshall's storyline is rushed, Barney and Robin's marriage (which had been the premise of the entire series) is ended in the first 3 minutes, and humor gave way to melancholy throughout. There are better ones out there, definitely.

Besides getting Robin and Barney back together, only to immediately break them up again, and getting Ted together with the Mother, only to immediately kill her, you could say that the writing in the rest of the episode was at least no *worse* than the writing in any of the final two seasons.

You're 100% right. I'm realizing now the foreshadowing of it all. They broke up Barney and Robin in the first few minutes as a bait-and-switch of the final season, which foreshadowed them killing the mother as a bait-and-switch of the entire series. It would be funny if the joke wasn't on us.

HIMYM was basically a lesson in how to troll an entire tv audience. They filmed that scene with the kids in season one, so they could show it in the finale (cuz the kids were going to age). They were going to bait and switch us the ENTIRE time with "and that's how I met your aunt Robin." The problem is that that particular twist might have made sense as late as late as season 6, but by 9, it was so clear that she and Ted were not right for each other. They weren't remotely compatible.

I agree with that timeline. "Will they or won't they end up together" is common across many ensemble comedies, but you need to play it right. Ending up together always needs to be feasible and something that would, in the end, make the characters better off. Being apart should either be a product of circumstance or some temporary problem. The problem is they did too good a job providing us with reasons why they weren't together: different values, dreams, relationship styles, ideas about family.

Though, maybe that was the plan all along. Maybe Ted and Robin aren't supposed to have a happily ever after, but simply replay their hopeless romance once more off camera. Maybe the series was meant to show us that in the end Ted, as they stated so many times, really is simply hopeless in his love choices. Of course, for that to make sense, they shouldn't have had a "mother" at all lol
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 10:56:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:44:55 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 4/19/2015 10:31:55 PM, Maikuru wrote:


I also just generally wasn't a fan of how they ever used foreshadowing on the show. The whole "goat incident" they kept tantalizing the audience with was just stupid.

Eventually it just became padding, filling out episodes that otherwise would have no B plot.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2015 11:04:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/19/2015 10:55:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:


Though, maybe that was the plan all along. Maybe Ted and Robin aren't supposed to have a happily ever after, but simply replay their hopeless romance once more off camera. Maybe the series was meant to show us that in the end Ted, as they stated so many times, really is simply hopeless in his love choices. Of course, for that to make sense, they shouldn't have had a "mother" at all lol

Meh, any good writer could find deeper meaning in anything. The issue with the finale is how the budgeted their time. This whole story was a dramatic buildup of who the mother of, but more importantly, *why* Ted was telling this story. We got this explanation that he wanted a better story for his kids than his mom's, which was that they "met in a bar." He wanted to instill in his kids the idea that it's okay to be a hopeless romantic because one day you will find your perfect partner. And all the stumbles along the way just lead you to that person.

Instead we got the lesson that if you meet the right person, eventually they die, and you settle for someone who clearly was never right for you. And that this whole story was stupid. It wasn't some mature life lesson for his kids. In the end, his kids had way more maturity than he did.

If his relationship with the Mother was so great and he learned that there is a soul mate out there for everyone, then why is he so eager to get back with Robin, who is clearly not his soul mate? He's no longer a hopeless romantic at that point. He's just an idiot.

Maybe that is the lesson of the series. Ted is an idiot. He was a complete idiot in most of his relationships and picked the worst possible people (e.g. Zoe). Maybe the lesson is that if you're dumb in love, you eventually get lucky, but luck is fleeting. And dumb people keep making bad decisions. But that's a sh*tty message for the final moments of the show. A finale should leave an okay taste in your mouth. Or at least shock you and make you think. This just left you with anger at the writers.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,235
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 7:33:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Top Ten Rush Albums:

1.) Hemispheres
2.) 2112
3.) Caress of Steel
4.) Moving Pictures
5.) Permanent Waves
6.) Fly By Night
7.) Presto
8.) A Farewell to Kings
9.) Clockwork Angels
10.) Power Windows
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz