Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Best boxers in the Rocky Franchise?

daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 2:32:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Rank the boxers in the Rocky franchise, from best to worst. Here's my ranking:

1. Apollo Creed(My current profile pic)
2. Rocky Balboa
3. Ivan Drago
4. Clubber Lang
5. Mason "The Line" Dixon
6. Tommy Gunn
7. Union Cane
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 12:13:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/29/2015 2:32:12 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Rank the boxers in the Rocky franchise, from best to worst. Here's my ranking:

1. Apollo Creed(My current profile pic)
2. Rocky Balboa
3. Ivan Drago
4. Clubber Lang
5. Mason "The Line" Dixon
6. Tommy Gunn
7. Union Cane

I agree with most of your list. I too would rate Apollo #1. By far.

But I think you have Drago too high. Sure he was strong, but not that quick. And surely not light on his feet. He is more of a brawler (like Lang) than a true boxer.

I think Gunn is underrated. So...switch Drago and Gunn and you have MY list.

Good post!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 12:15:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oh...a p.s. to my OP.

Did you know that Tommy Gunn was a real boxer? Named Tommi Morrison?

And..tragically..he died a couple years ago, at age 44.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,393
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 7:47:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, My vote for the worst one is Rocky Balboa.
I'm sorry, but I can only offer you my opinion, because I only saw Rocky 4 ( and that was 2 many). therefore I can't be a very good judge. However, if any of the others is half as bad as Rocky 4, then by merely being in all of these films, we can conclude that Rocky Balboa must be the worst.
although I should be impressed that a developmentally disabled man could both star in and write the screenplay for any movie, Rocky 4 sux like a Dyson.
I have heard people say that Sylvester Stallone is not retarded, he just acts or sounds that way ,but really, The fight between Rocky and the big Russian is some thing about which he says is not about money. He also wants it done on Christmas day in Moscow. Any intelligent man would know that it's not about money, it's about a hell of alot of money. During the cold war a prize fight with a Russian who killed an American fighting a white guy would be like a license to print money. There would be ever so many people who would pay money to watch the fight via pay-view on cable TV, unless the fight happened on Christmas, when so many of them would find that they had other things to do and less money to spend, having spent so much on gifts.
Many people might have traveled to Las Vegas or Atlantic City to watch the fight ringside, but to fly all the way to Moscow, just to watch a fight, maybe not.
On the other hand there were many people in the audience cheering for Rocky, so there must have been quite a few rich Americans there.
Aside from those fight scenes that looked so fake and the general stupidity of the rest of the film, It was not just another dumbass movie I wasted an hour watching. It was like an advertisement for anabolic steroids. Thus it was not just a bad movie it is one of the worst. Impressionable young men hear that Drago was on steroids, and now he is some kind of a superman.

This is not a troll post.
So many young men have been harmed by steroids, at some time after they got this idea that steroids are some sort of magic potion that gives you muscles. This issue is serious. Therefore I simply can't say anything good about Rocky 4 and neither should you.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 7:56:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not too up on the franchise, but didn't Apollo get his asss killed by a guy Rocky later beat?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,393
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 11:03:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yes in Rocky 4 Apollo fought the Russian steroid user, I would think that guy must also use gorilla hormones. If he did he would have to keep shaving off his extra body hair, anyway Apollo dies during the fight, right there in the ring in a Las Vegas stadium.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 12:32:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 7:56:40 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I'm not too up on the franchise, but didn't Apollo get his asss killed by a guy Rocky later beat?

True, but that was a WAYYY out of prime Apollo. Apollo is the only person in the franchise who beat Rocky at his physical and mental prime.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 12:46:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 12:32:40 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 5/7/2015 7:56:40 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I'm not too up on the franchise, but didn't Apollo get his asss killed by a guy Rocky later beat?

True, but that was a WAYYY out of prime Apollo. Apollo is the only person in the franchise who beat Rocky at his physical and mental prime.

Umm...I think you are wrong.

Didn't Clubber beat Rocky the 1st time they fought? Before Rocky beat him in the rematch? Unless you're gonna say that Rocky was not in his "mental prime" for that defeat, since he was pretty much scared of Lang.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 8:28:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/8/2015 12:46:03 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/8/2015 12:32:40 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 5/7/2015 7:56:40 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I'm not too up on the franchise, but didn't Apollo get his asss killed by a guy Rocky later beat?

True, but that was a WAYYY out of prime Apollo. Apollo is the only person in the franchise who beat Rocky at his physical and mental prime.

Umm...I think you are wrong.

Didn't Clubber beat Rocky the 1st time they fought? Before Rocky beat him in the rematch? Unless you're gonna say that Rocky was not in his "mental prime" for that defeat, since he was pretty much scared of Lang.

That is what I'd say. Besides, Rocky wasn't in his physical prime either. He announced his retirement right before Clubber Lang challenged him the first time at the statue unveiling. So, already, by that point, he was out of his peak physical prime.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,393
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2015 7:28:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Drago entered the series as a news story seen by Rocky and Apollo. He was this young white boxer out of Russia, In the boxing business a white boxer has draw. The promoters would put him in a fight with a black boxer with a famous name, this would be a name made famous years before, Possibly because a white boxer who beat someone famous will get so much attention.
e.g. Gerry Cooney, an amiable white man from Long Island who was a very good boxer. Was he a Great One? Well he did defeat Ken Norton and Spinx. He got a match with the champion Larry Holmes before this question was answered.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 10:38:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/7/2015 7:47:52 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
Well, My vote for the worst one is Rocky Balboa.
I'm sorry, but I can only offer you my opinion, because I only saw Rocky 4 ( and that was 2 many). therefore I can't be a very good judge. However, if any of the others is half as bad as Rocky 4, then by merely being in all of these films, we can conclude that Rocky Balboa must be the worst.
although I should be impressed that a developmentally disabled man could both star in and write the screenplay for any movie, Rocky 4 sux like a Dyson.
I have heard people say that Sylvester Stallone is not retarded, he just acts or sounds that way ,but really, The fight between Rocky and the big Russian is some thing about which he says is not about money. He also wants it done on Christmas day in Moscow. Any intelligent man would know that it's not about money, it's about a hell of alot of money. During the cold war a prize fight with a Russian who killed an American fighting a white guy would be like a license to print money. There would be ever so many people who would pay money to watch the fight via pay-view on cable TV, unless the fight happened on Christmas, when so many of them would find that they had other things to do and less money to spend, having spent so much on gifts.
Many people might have traveled to Las Vegas or Atlantic City to watch the fight ringside, but to fly all the way to Moscow, just to watch a fight, maybe not.
On the other hand there were many people in the audience cheering for Rocky, so there must have been quite a few rich Americans there.
Aside from those fight scenes that looked so fake and the general stupidity of the rest of the film, It was not just another dumbass movie I wasted an hour watching. It was like an advertisement for anabolic steroids. Thus it was not just a bad movie it is one of the worst. Impressionable young men hear that Drago was on steroids, and now he is some kind of a superman.

This is not a troll post.
So many young men have been harmed by steroids, at some time after they got this idea that steroids are some sort of magic potion that gives you muscles. This issue is serious. Therefore I simply can't say anything good about Rocky 4 and neither should you.

But this IS a troll post--since you wantonly went waay off-topic in order to give us your thoughts on steroid abuse. Unbidden thoughts, btw.

And you never really answered the question.

We all know about steroids and PEDs.

Go troll elsewhere.

Maybe the Health forums!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.