GOT episode 6 - Bowed, bent and broken

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 7:03:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So that episode was intense. Spoilers:

The backlash against the episode is very interesting. Daenerys was raped by Khal Drogo and yet none complained about it. Sansa, an innocent young virgin, gets raped and suddenly people hated it.

They say Theon could be provoked in other ways or the books didn't have that particular scene. Honestly though, it was realistic. No way in hell was Ramsay not going to touch Sansa (and for the benefit of the audience, he touched her after marriage). It was in line with the culture of the world as well.

It was pretty emotional as well. The way they talk about it make it seem like there are hundreds of shows and movies using this sort of exploitation. Perhaps its cliche, but I felt it was impactful.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 7:27:53 AM
I have to admit I was as disappointed as people were to this episode when Theon got tortured. But now I look back and saw that it was necessary. It was the hardest thing to watch and still the most shocking.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 1:42:14 PM
At 5/21/2015 7:03:51 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

The backlash against the episode is very interesting. Daenerys was raped by Khal Drogo and yet none complained about it. Sansa, an innocent young virgin, gets raped and suddenly people hated it.

They say Theon could be provoked in other ways or the books didn't have that particular scene. Honestly though, it was realistic. No way in hell was Ramsay not going to touch Sansa (and for the benefit of the audience, he touched her after marriage). It was in line with the culture of the world as well.

It was pretty emotional as well. The way they talk about it make it seem like there are hundreds of shows and movies using this sort of exploitation. Perhaps its cliche, but I felt it was impactful.

I am so disappointed in Theon.

Ya know, he was one of my earlier possible longshot picks to maybe be the one who ended up sitting on the Iron Throne. But then he became totally beaten down, both physically and mentally.

I kept thinking: "No way George Martin would prolong and keep harping on all the amazing suffering Theon endured, unless he was due for redemption." As, I know that Martin--as well as most Fantasy writers--are big on redemption. As well as the eventual triumph of the oppressed.

So..when Ramsay made Theon watch him bang Sansa, and they showed Theon standing there fuming in the corner, I figured he was gonna sneak up behind Ramsay and choke him out or bash his head in with a vase, or whatever.

But no.

And THEN...he rats out Sansa to Ramsay about her plan to escape! Bugger.

I have now officially written Theon off as a candidate for Redemption. I guess he will remain Reek.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 7:06:30 PM
At 5/27/2015 1:42:14 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 5/21/2015 7:03:51 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

I am so disappointed in Theon.

Ya know, he was one of my earlier possible longshot picks to maybe be the one who ended up sitting on the Iron Throne. But then he became totally beaten down, both physically and mentally.

I kept thinking: "No way George Martin would prolong and keep harping on all the amazing suffering Theon endured, unless he was due for redemption." As, I know that Martin--as well as most Fantasy writers--are big on redemption. As well as the eventual triumph of the oppressed.

So..when Ramsay made Theon watch him bang Sansa, and they showed Theon standing there fuming in the corner, I figured he was gonna sneak up behind Ramsay and choke him out or bash his head in with a vase, or whatever.

But no.
I thought it was meaningful that he was forced to watch. All this time, I thought I used up all my sympathy for the guy but I ended up cringing just as much in season 2 when Theon was tortured.

And THEN...he rats out Sansa to Ramsay about her plan to escape! Bugger.

Wait, so Sansa doesn't go bada ss and kills Ramsay? Damnit.
I have now officially written Theon off as a candidate for Redemption. I guess he will remain Reek.

I still have hope for him. Maybe in the next season?
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 7:11:41 PM
At 5/23/2015 2:07:21 AM, Neana wrote:
Not up to the expectation, the show in this season is definitely going low.

I felt the same way in season 3 and season 4. As a story, GOT is lacking. But as an allegory of real life events, well...