Jump to topic:

Fury Road was a Feminist Film...

MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 11:18:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
...and that's a good thing. Spoilers, by the by. I've been hearing a lot of people, especially proponents of Gamergate and anti-feminists, say there was no feminist message to the film - this despite the fact that the film portrays a villain who runs a dystopian society where women are treated like property to breed or drink from, men are indoctrinated into a pseudo-religious inspired form if ultra-masculinity, and it is a female lead who ultimately topples it.

I think that a lot of these YouTube personalities and reactionary GGers don't have any real understanding of feminism outside of radical characatures which often plague the broader movement. So when they see a feminist film which doesn't fit their definition of feminism, they're left dumbfounded and unable to recognize it for what it is... and maybe afraid to call it feminist because they liked it.

This isn't always the case and I have seen a few people moan about Max playing second fiddle to a female character, but such complaints aren't as prevalent.

So, what do you all think? Why are so many people afraid or unwilling to call Fury Road a feminist film?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 11:48:40 AM
At 6/4/2015 11:18:56 PM, MrVan wrote:
...and that's a good thing. Spoilers, by the by. I've been hearing a lot of people, especially proponents of Gamergate and anti-feminists, say there was no feminist message to the film - this despite the fact that the film portrays a villain who runs a dystopian society where women are treated like property to breed or drink from, men are indoctrinated into a pseudo-religious inspired form if ultra-masculinity, and it is a female lead who ultimately topples it.

I think that a lot of these YouTube personalities and reactionary GGers don't have any real understanding of feminism outside of radical characatures which often plague the broader movement. So when they see a feminist film which doesn't fit their definition of feminism, they're left dumbfounded and unable to recognize it for what it is... and maybe afraid to call it feminist because they liked it.

This isn't always the case and I have seen a few people moan about Max playing second fiddle to a female character, but such complaints aren't as prevalent.

So, what do you all think? Why are so many people afraid or unwilling to call Fury Road a feminist film?

...drink from women? Wut?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 12:46:30 PM

Fury Road was a 2-hour high octane car chase/adrenaline rush/rock music video! LOL

Too write it off as a feminist film just because it had a lead female who kicked butt is going a bit far, I think.

Hollywood loves movies where little girls kick butt. it dovetails with its liberal mindset.

I think, if you insist on pursuing this train of thought with movies, it would be more accurate to call "Kill Bill--Volumes I & II" feminist movies. Or Femme Nikita. Or the rip-off on that with Brigit Fonda. Or Lucy. Or The Hunger Games Trilogy.

Fury Road is a poor example. And that guy Hardy..the lead who played Max was about as charismatic as a box of nails.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:38:04 PM
At 6/5/2015 11:48:40 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

...drink from women? Wut?

Mother's milk.
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 10:01:35 PM
At 6/6/2015 12:46:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Fury Road was a 2-hour high octane car chase/adrenaline rush/rock music video! LOL

Too write it off as a feminist film just because it had a lead female who kicked butt is going a bit far, I think.

Hollywood loves movies where little girls kick butt. it dovetails with its liberal mindset.

I think, if you insist on pursuing this train of thought with movies, it would be more accurate to call "Kill Bill--Volumes I & II" feminist movies. Or Femme Nikita. Or the rip-off on that with Brigit Fonda. Or Lucy. Or The Hunger Games Trilogy.

Fury Road is a poor example. And that guy Hardy..the lead who played Max was about as charismatic as a box of nails.

I would never write something off for being feminist. Feminism is a positive force in society, and I'm happy to see more of it in film. The fact that Fury Road spits in the face of the damsel in distress trope and treats it's female characters as people seeking liberation rather than objects to be won or faught over makes it feminist.

The fact that there are people who don't think that's feminism bewilders me.

For every example of a good action film with a female lead, I can give you ten with a white masculine male with five o'clock shadow. While things have definitely improved in the last few - two or three - years, most films don't really treat their female characters as actual characters.

At Hollywood's worse, you may come across films which pretend to be feminist. Sure, they may have female characters that kick butt, but God forbid if they aren't doing it half naked for a male audience or acting like man-hating stock characters. None of your examples have this problem, but for every Kill Bill there is a Cat Woman or a Sucker Punch.