Jump to topic:

Promoting Fan Fics on DDO

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 12:14:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, during my campaign thus far, I reached out to several people (I don't want to name them publicly in case they don't wish to be associated with my campaign like this), to discuss what could be done to bolster fan fics on the site. There were a few common threads and really good ideas that came up in those discussions, and I want to list those here to start a discussion. These are ideas I support, and I would love to hear any more ideas that people have. Feedback is welcome and important. So, the ideas:

- Interviews with authors to increase awareness about fan fics
- Fan Fics of the Fortnight, perhaps posted in the bi-weekly administration update
- Getting the fan fic awards stickied or making them more prominent somehow
- Promote collaborations between authors

What are your thoughts, suggestions, or ideas? Again, let's start a discussion on this issue.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 12:36:01 AM
At 6/6/2015 12:14:17 AM, bsh1 wrote:
So, during my campaign thus far, I reached out to several people (I don't want to name them publicly in case they don't wish to be associated with my campaign like this), to discuss what could be done to bolster fan fics on the site. There were a few common threads and really good ideas that came up in those discussions, and I want to list those here to start a discussion. These are ideas I support, and I would love to hear any more ideas that people have. Feedback is welcome and important. So, the ideas:

These are great ideas!

Yeah, definitely. The only one who got interviewed last time was Endarkened. I think we should do more of that.
- Fan Fics of the Fortnight, perhaps posted in the bi-weekly administration update
What's that?
That would be nice. I remember Annie trying to do a 800 word story competition too. We all forgot about it because of a lack of organisation. We could have a 800 word team story writing competition.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, or ideas? Again, let's start a discussion on this issue.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 12:39:12 AM
At 6/6/2015 12:36:01 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

These are great ideas!

Yeah, I think these ideas are really good, and would really boost the profile of fan fics on the site.

Yeah, definitely. The only one who got interviewed last time was Endarkened. I think we should do more of that.

Agreed.

What's that?

A fortnight is 14 days. So, instead of having a fan fic of the month, have an official fan fic every 2 weeks.

That would be nice. I remember Annie trying to do a 800 word story competition too. We all forgot about it because of a lack of organisation. We could have a 800 word team story writing competition.

That's a neat idea.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 6:34:25 AM
At 6/6/2015 12:39:12 AM, bsh1 wrote:

These are great ideas!

Yeah, I think these ideas are really good, and would really boost the profile of fan fics on the site.

Agreed.

What's that?

A fortnight is 14 days. So, instead of having a fan fic of the month, have an official fan fic every 2 weeks.
Nice. But what is the bi-weekly administration update?

That's a neat idea.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 8:59:32 AM
I really like the collaboration idea! I would definitely read a fanfic that had intermixing of different styles of writing.

Not sure if there would be interest, but you can also have a one shot competitions with constraints (like specifying a certain scene that should def be in the one shot, or specifying a dialogue that it must incorporate or something). It can be a good practice thing for people who want to keep practising writing.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:19:24 PM
At 6/6/2015 8:59:32 AM, Cermank wrote:
I really like the collaboration idea! I would definitely read a fanfic that had intermixing of different styles of writing.

Not sure if there would be interest, but you can also have a one shot competitions with constraints (like specifying a certain scene that should def be in the one shot, or specifying a dialogue that it must incorporate or something). It can be a good practice thing for people who want to keep practising writing.

Holy hell, that's a neat idea. It could be just like those ones that people do in debates where you write about one scene only like being on top of a volcano or lost on a deserted island.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:26:45 PM

Allow people to write "M" fanfictions.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:34:45 PM
At 6/6/2015 9:26:45 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Allow people to write "M" fanfictions.

This caused a shiver to go up my spine. Esocial would have a field day with all that shipping.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:36:11 PM
At 6/6/2015 8:59:32 AM, Cermank wrote:

I agree with Adam. This would be really cool.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:37:23 PM
At 6/6/2015 6:34:25 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
What's that?

So, every two weeks I would make an update talking about what I was doing on the site as President, and highlighting a few good debates, polls, fan fics, and forums that people should check out.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:38:01 PM
I'd try posting the work of more DDO authors in your series than just those who write fan fic. Making things more diverse might encourage authors to be more adventurous.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:39:38 PM
At 6/6/2015 9:37:23 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/6/2015 6:34:25 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
What's that?

So, every two weeks I would make an update talking about what I was doing on the site as President, and highlighting a few good debates, polls, fan fics, and forums that people should check out.

Awesome.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:40:33 PM
At 6/6/2015 9:38:01 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
I'd try posting the work of more DDO authors in your series than just those who write fan fic. Making things more diverse might encourage authors to be more adventurous.

Indeed.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:17:40 PM
I've always been interested in writing more than fanfiction and have had the plots of a few different novels kicking around in my head for years me but haven't really had the time/motivation to write any of them out. If there was an interest on here I could try to fit in the time for them.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 9:21:23 PM
At 6/9/2015 6:17:40 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I've always been interested in writing more than fanfiction and have had the plots of a few different novels kicking around in my head for years me but haven't really had the time/motivation to write any of them out. If there was an interest on here I could try to fit in the time for them.

I recommend making a shorter mini series. I did what you're thinking and it failed incredibly. Same happened to a couple other writers. The next fanfic I'm planning to make is a mini series.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 10:21:51 PM
At 6/9/2015 9:21:23 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

I recommend making a shorter mini series. I did what you're thinking and it failed incredibly. Same happened to a couple other writers. The next fanfic I'm planning to make is a mini series.

I don't do mini though .-. it feels super shitty whenever I do something mini
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:00:23 PM

Can we move fanfics back to the DDO Forum? I'm pretty sure Airmax confirmed that we were allowed to put fanfics on the DDO forum when Ima consulted him a while back.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:00:57 PM
At 6/9/2015 11:00:23 PM, RevNge wrote:

Can we move fanfics back to the DDO Forum? I'm pretty sure Airmax confirmed that we were allowed to put fanfics on the DDO forum when Ima consulted him a while back.

I can talk to Airmax about it. For sure.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 1:51:58 AM
At 6/9/2015 11:00:23 PM, RevNge wrote:

Bench already asked. Yes, we can.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 3:49:46 PM

Put your fanfic on the DDO forum for more readers (and possibly more people asking you to take your shirt off).