Jump to topic:

Shutter Island:

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:29:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I only just watched it and it's the best movie I've seen in YEARS.

Now, when I went into work the next day and chatted to a colleague about the movie, he startled me by asking " Sane or insane? "

To me it's a forgone conclusion; that's the genius of the film, that we are stuck in his insanity for the duration of the movie and then feel his horror as the truth materialises. (in the marvelous light house scene)

ANYone else feel as he did?
The Cross.. the Cross.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 4:36:45 AM
*SPOILER ALERT*
It is open to interpretation, but I think he was sane at the end but finally realising the reality of things made him want to be lobotomised. I'm not sure though. I watched this and Book of Eli in the same sitting and I thought Book of Eli had a better twist. Shutter Island was awesome though. I'd like to watch it again knowing what I know.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 5:40:41 AM
At the end of shutter island he was insane. It all adds up. He chose to be lobotomised as a punishment for his actions rather than live as a an who let his family die.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 11:36:10 AM
**Spoiler Alert**

He chose to "die a good man" rather than "live as a monster". In his reality he was a good man and the hero, which I why I think he chose to "act" like he was still "insane" at the end. He didn't want to "live as a monster" knowing that he killed his wife and essentially his three children.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire