Jump to topic:

Is Rock 'N Roll Dying?

PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:51:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Many artists and people say it is. And if you ask me, I think they have a point. The charts nowadays are mostly filled with Pop and Hip Hop, and good Rock is scarce. So, what do you think?
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 1:08:19 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:51:07 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
Many artists and people say it is. And if you ask me, I think they have a point. The charts nowadays are mostly filled with Pop and Hip Hop, and good Rock is scarce. So, what do you think?

Well...rock and roll ain't quite dead yet, but I will admit that sometimes it appears to be in its Death Throes. LOL.

But like most things in life, and even in the entertainment and art fields--Hmm..perhaps especially in those fields--things tend to run in cycles. I would agree that we seem to have been in a hip-hop/rap cycle for over a decade now, but I do not think this will last. In fact--I do not even consider Rap to be music, but rather bad poetry.

But the bottom line is, that crapola is NOT built to last. Like Classic Rock was. And anybody who doubts that need only turn on their radio right now to a Classic Rock station. Or just a Pop station. Before too long you are gonna hear something like "Satisafaction" or "Stairway to Heaven" or "Free Bird" or "Back in the USSR" or "Take It Easy" or "Crazy Train" or "Baba O'Reilly."

Do you really think anybody is gonna be playing Nororious B.I.G. in 30 years? LOL. Doubtful, mates.

So..yeah, rock and roll will be back. And it is not gone yet. And I am not sure if they are your particular cup of tea, but there are quite a few working bands out there who play sub-genres of rock. Like: Heavy Metal; Black Metal; Folk Metal; Thrash, et al. If you are not familiar with some of these just go to youtube and punch in something like "best black metal songs" and you can listen to a playlist from various bands to get a taste for it. I just discovered "Folk Metal" last week, and I LOVE it!
(I am in a black metal band and we still get gigs now and then. We published a couple EP's back in the day)

Meanwhile....here is a nice little list of some of the more mainstream rock and roll bands that are still out there making some pretty good stuff. And the Los Angeles rock scene..the home of so many of the great rock bands over the past 25 years..is also going full bore right now. You can Google "best new LA rock bands" and get some great stuff.

Thanks for the post.

Rock On!

http://www.thetoptens.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 5:37:22 PM
At 6/24/2015 1:08:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Well...rock and roll ain't quite dead yet, but I will admit that sometimes it appears to be in its Death Throes. LOL.

But like most things in life, and even in the entertainment and art fields--Hmm..perhaps especially in those fields--things tend to run in cycles. I would agree that we seem to have been in a hip-hop/rap cycle for over a decade now, but I do not think this will last. In fact--I do not even consider Rap to be music, but rather bad poetry.

But the bottom line is, that crapola is NOT built to last. Like Classic Rock was. And anybody who doubts that need only turn on their radio right now to a Classic Rock station. Or just a Pop station. Before too long you are gonna hear something like "Satisafaction" or "Stairway to Heaven" or "Free Bird" or "Back in the USSR" or "Take It Easy" or "Crazy Train" or "Baba O'Reilly."

Do you really think anybody is gonna be playing Nororious B.I.G. in 30 years? LOL. Doubtful, mates.

So..yeah, rock and roll will be back. And it is not gone yet. And I am not sure if they are your particular cup of tea, but there are quite a few working bands out there who play sub-genres of rock. Like: Heavy Metal; Black Metal; Folk Metal; Thrash, et al. If you are not familiar with some of these just go to youtube and punch in something like "best black metal songs" and you can listen to a playlist from various bands to get a taste for it. I just discovered "Folk Metal" last week, and I LOVE it!
(I am in a black metal band and we still get gigs now and then. We published a couple EP's back in the day)

Meanwhile....here is a nice little list of some of the more mainstream rock and roll bands that are still out there making some pretty good stuff. And the Los Angeles rock scene..the home of so many of the great rock bands over the past 25 years..is also going full bore right now. You can Google "best new LA rock bands" and get some great stuff.

Thanks for the post.

Rock On!

Hey thanks! I have full faith in bands like Green Day, Foo Fighters, and New Politics to help resurrect rock and roll. And let's not forget RHCP.

I'm not that interested in Metal, but Folk Metal might be interesting.
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 6:15:57 PM
At 6/24/2015 5:37:22 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:

Thanks for the post.

Rock On!

Hey thanks! I have full faith in bands like Green Day, Foo Fighters, and New Politics to help resurrect rock and roll. And let's not forget RHCP.

YW.

Yeah..love Green Day. My favorite West Coast punk band. You might check out some stuff by The Offspring, too--if you are not familiar with them. they are not new...but if ya like GD you will dig them.

RHCP are OK..sometimes a bit too funky for me--I prefer straight-ahead rock. And I like the minimalist approach..minimum production techniques; no keyboards; and no electronica. 16 tracks is all ya need on the mixer board, baby! (We did our first studio EP with 8!) LOL.

Because after all--that is what rock and roll is all about. Well, that, and as Jack Black said in School of Rock: "Stickin' it to the man!" LOL

I mentioned the LA scene. Always good up and comers there. Here is a list of some guys who you might be hearing more of. Enjoy!

http://www.laweekly.com...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 6:40:42 PM
Oh...I almost forgot. (See..ya get me talking about rock and roll and I can go on forever! LOL)

Did you ever get into Thin Lizzy? You know: "The Boys are Back in Town." "The Cowboy Song." "Whiskey in the Jarro." ?

Well, if ya did and you like them, there is a GREAT spin-off band from Ireland called Black Star Riders. Ya gotta check them out on youtube.

No..wait...lemme getcha a link........

https://www.youtube.com...
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 6:54:07 PM
At 6/24/2015 6:15:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/24/2015 5:37:22 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:

Thanks for the post.

Rock On!

YW.

Yeah..love Green Day. My favorite West Coast punk band. You might check out some stuff by The Offspring, too--if you are not familiar with them. they are not new...but if ya like GD you will dig them.

RHCP are OK..sometimes a bit too funky for me--I prefer straight-ahead rock. And I like the minimalist approach..minimum production techniques; no keyboards; and no electronica. 16 tracks is all ya need on the mixer board, baby! (We did our first studio EP with 8!) LOL.

Because after all--that is what rock and roll is all about. Well, that, and as Jack Black said in School of Rock: "Stickin' it to the man!" LOL

I mentioned the LA scene. Always good up and comers there. Here is a list of some guys who you might be hearing more of. Enjoy!

http://www.laweekly.com...

I know some by The Offspring, but not enough to call myself a fan.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 5:16:50 PM
James Taylor just got his first #1 album, 47 years after what could have been his best work ever.
Yeah, not really 'Rock N Roll', but still......
The Stones are still on tour, 62 years after they started.

They may run out of people who can create new Rock N Roll, but that doesn't mean it died.
If you have a copy of Don McLean's American Pie, play it, and believe, the music will never die. I remember where I was the first time I heard it.
https://youtu.be...

Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper, The Trinity of RNR.