American vs. British Comedy

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 12:18:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Which is better?

As a patriotic American.....I give this one to the Brits...

I think this partially addresses why...

https://www.youtube.com...

To give an example....speaking of Stephen Fry.....

If we were to compare one of America's long standing popular TV comedy shows "Saturday Night Live" to a remotely popular British comedy show (in the U.S.) "A Little Bit Of Fry And Laurie", I would say ALBOFAL is more consistently humorous than SNL. A reason for this is because ALBOFAL seem more discriminatory about what guests they bring in for skits. They seem to make sure the guests are those of quality humor/comedy. In contrast SNL will use multiple guests, a number of them who are not necessarily funny themselves (John Travolta, etc.), give them funny lines to read in a skit, and expect them to come across as humorous. This, in my opinion, doesn't work.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:18:48 PM
At 6/29/2015 12:18:37 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Which is better?

If we were to compare one of America's long standing popular TV comedy shows "Saturday Night Live" to a remotely popular British comedy show (in the U.S.) "A Little Bit Of Fry And Laurie", I would say ALBOFAL is more consistently humorous than SNL. A reason for this is because ALBOFAL seem more discriminatory about what guests they bring in for skits. They seem to make sure the guests are those of quality humor/comedy. In contrast SNL will use multiple guests, a number of them who are not necessarily funny themselves (John Travolta, etc.), give them funny lines to read in a skit, and expect them to come across as humorous. This, in my opinion, doesn't work.

Man...I just for the life of me do not get most Brit comedy!

It's so bad that it is actually sort of frustrating. Since I love comedy and am a huge movie geek. And I have several friends and family emembers who love Brit comedy.

But when I watch it, I don't know: it's almost like some sort of literal cognitive dis-connect is going on with me. The alleged funny stuff just sails right past me.

Like the other night: over at my sister's house. She loves it. She has all of the episodes of the old Brit comedy series "Red Dwarf" on her PC. She was laughing so hard at some of it I thought she was gonna pass out. LOL. But I did not even get a smile out of it. THAT was pretty frustrating for me. I simply don't get it.

Like Bean. Really? I just don't see it.

And Monty Python? Eh..maybe a little better. But I enjoyed them a lot less than most. I probably got a few smiles and a chuckle or two out of ALL of their movies and skits. Ans I would be very OK with never seeing any again.

Now...I DO like Simon Pegg. And oh yeah...that "End of the World" pub-crawl flick...I loved that! So maybe there is some hope for me with Brit humor?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:58:54 AM
At 6/29/2015 1:18:48 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Which is better?

It's so bad that it is actually sort of frustrating. Since I love comedy and am a huge movie geek. And I have several friends and family emembers who love Brit comedy.

But when I watch it, I don't know: it's almost like some sort of literal cognitive dis-connect is going on with me. The alleged funny stuff just sails right past me.

Like the other night: over at my sister's house. She loves it. She has all of the episodes of the old Brit comedy series "Red Dwarf" on her PC. She was laughing so hard at some of it I thought she was gonna pass out. LOL. But I did not even get a smile out of it. THAT was pretty frustrating for me. I simply don't get it.

And Monty Python? Eh..maybe a little better. But I enjoyed them a lot less than most. I probably got a few smiles and a chuckle or two out of ALL of their movies and skits. Ans I would be very OK with never seeing any again.

Now...I DO like Simon Pegg. And oh yeah...that "End of the World" pub-crawl flick...I loved that! So maybe there is some hope for me with Brit humor?
Well Saint, I think that if you don't like Red Dwarf, your enjoyment of British humor will probably be very minute. I say that because Red Dwarf would be one of the comedies an American who wasn't big on britcoms would have a greater chance of liking.

One of the unique aspects of British comedy is that unlike American comedy, sit-coms with elderly and middle aged characters are just as popular as those with young characters. So where an American may not be able to relate to Waiting For God (a comedy taking place in a rest home), Keeping Up Appearances (about a middle-aged couple), or Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister (middle-aged members of Parliament), Red Dwarf at least has some fairly hip characters like Lister the urban night clubber type, Cat the almost human evolutionary descendent of the cat family, and a dorky hologram named Rimmer that is the butt of the jokes.

But it's interesting how you mention a disconnect in watching britcoms. I get the same disconnect from American comedies like Cheers, Seinfeld, and the horror of horrors....Friends.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 12:31:25 PM
At 6/30/2015 1:58:54 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 6/29/2015 1:18:48 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Which is better?

Well Saint, I think that if you don't like Red Dwarf, your enjoyment of British humor will probably be very minute. I say that because Red Dwarf would be one of the comedies an American who wasn't big on britcoms would have a greater chance of liking.

One of the unique aspects of British comedy is that unlike American comedy, sit-coms with elderly and middle aged characters are just as popular as those with young characters. So where an American may not be able to relate to Waiting For God (a comedy taking place in a rest home), Keeping Up Appearances (about a middle-aged couple), or Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister (middle-aged members of Parliament), Red Dwarf at least has some fairly hip characters like Lister the urban night clubber type, Cat the almost human evolutionary descendent of the cat family, and a dorky hologram named Rimmer that is the butt of the jokes.

But it's interesting how you mention a disconnect in watching britcoms. I get the same disconnect from American comedies like Cheers, Seinfeld, and the horror of horrors....Friends.

Yeah...I reckon this whole thing just boils down to the old adage "To each their own."

I loved Seinfeld! But I can proudly say I never watched one episode of Friends.

Other sitcoms I have enjoyed.........

M*A*SH*

Arrested Development

Curb Your Enthusiasm

The Wonder Years

Barney Miller

Taxi

Scrubs.... (perhaps the most laughs per episode of ANY sitcom!)
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.