Jump to topic:

This is..

sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 11:08:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
...what children are watching right now. This is the ideology they're being fed.

Compare "Inside Out" with "Minions" ... It's literally day and night. One has a meaning and the other is a full-bore saturation of the senses with nonsense, with the only connecting theme being to glorify "Minions". lol.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 11:31:43 AM
No, this is Patrick.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 3:40:04 AM
At 7/4/2015 11:31:43 AM, PatriotPerson wrote:
No, this is Patrick.

"PatriotPerson" is playing down my post about Minions. Stranger things have happened..
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 3:43:35 PM
At 7/5/2015 3:40:04 AM, sdavio wrote:
No, this is Patrick.

"PatriotPerson" is playing down my post about Minions. Stranger things have happened..

If you didn't want me to say that, you shouldn't have named your thread "This is..."
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 7:46:32 PM
This makes me wish for the good ol' days.

https://www.youtube.com...

So meaning! Very saturate!

=)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:14:59 PM
At 7/5/2015 7:46:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

=)

Pong is alive and well in the hearts of many.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:12:46 AM
At 7/5/2015 7:46:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

=)

I do think that now is the best time to grow up, actually. However stuff like Minions just gives me the impression of total disdain for its audience... I was in the theatre and all the kids were cheering for the Minions when the trailer came on. They love them... It's kind of surreal.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:18:24 AM
The company that made it is called "Illumination Entertainment" lol. Where is Alex Jones when you need him.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:21:14 AM
At 7/5/2015 3:43:35 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
No, this is Patrick.

If you didn't want me to say that, you shouldn't have named your thread "This is..."

So have you seen the Minions yet?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:34:35 AM
At 7/4/2015 11:08:22 AM, sdavio wrote:

...what children are watching right now. This is the ideology they're being fed.

Compare "Inside Out" with "Minions" ... It's literally day and night. One has a meaning and the other is a full-bore saturation of the senses with nonsense, with the only connecting theme being to glorify "Minions". lol.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:51:27 AM
At 7/6/2015 1:34:35 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

This made me laugh a lot harder than it really should've.

Well played.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:53:16 AM
At 7/6/2015 1:51:27 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Well played.

I'm just shocked no one else did it.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:53:53 AM
At 7/6/2015 1:53:16 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Well played.

Kind of old and people have forgotten about it? Not sure....
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:54:31 AM
At 7/6/2015 1:53:53 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Well played.

Are you calling me old?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:55:11 AM
At 7/6/2015 1:54:31 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 7/6/2015 1:53:53 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Well played.

Are you calling me old?

Considering that you're a year younger than I am...

Yes. Yes I am.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:57:04 AM

I don't know anything about this other than from watching the trailer. The minions are adorable and the film looks like some mindless goofy fun... What is the ideology being fed to children here exactly?

Compare "Inside Out" with "Minions" ... It's literally day and night.

I had to Youtube search the trailer for Inside Out since I hadn't heard of it until now. From the very limited knowledge I have (having seen a single trailer for both of these movies) these don't seem like comparable films. Inside Out seems to be a deeper movie all about describing emotions in a fun way that young children can easily understand, and making fun and memorable characters out of those emotions. It's subject matter, while still being a children's movie, seems to allow for more depth by its very nature versus a movie that just seems like goofy fun.

One has a meaning and the other is a full-bore saturation of the senses with nonsense, with the only connecting theme being to glorify "Minions". lol.

The minions in Minions are cute though, so it's got that going for it....

I'm not really sure of your point, so I apologize that I am apparently missing it. It seems to be that there's enough room for deeper films with more meaning, and films that are just goofy fun - for children and for adults.

I'm mostly curious though by what you mean by "This is the ideology they're being fed.". Do you think Minions or Inside Out are pushing a particular agenda?
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:57:52 AM

haha I hate to admit the same is true for me

Well played.

Indeed.
Debate.org Moderator
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 9:12:09 AM
At 7/6/2015 1:57:04 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I don't know anything about this other than from watching the trailer. The minions are adorable and the film looks like some mindless goofy fun... What is the ideology being fed to children here exactly?

We're told that 'Minions' have existed longer than 'We' (superior human beings) have. The minions' only purpose is to serve a master, and once they lose their master, their lives become empty and meaningless. They search through all the different masters for one who's strong enough to lead them. It's literally Thomas Hobbes 4 kidz.

I had to Youtube search the trailer for Inside Out since I hadn't heard of it until now. From the very limited knowledge I have (having seen a single trailer for both of these movies) these don't seem like comparable films. Inside Out seems to be a deeper movie all about describing emotions in a fun way that young children can easily understand, and making fun and memorable characters out of those emotions. It's subject matter, while still being a children's movie, seems to allow for more depth by its very nature versus a movie that just seems like goofy fun.

I don't think it's just that one is deeper. They are two opposed viewpoints about films and their audience. One treats its audience as so important that the entire film is showing the emotions of one little girl. The other shows its audience as brainless little yellow tic-tacs that run toward whatever's shiny and only need a vicious enough leader to manipulate them.

One has a meaning and the other is a full-bore saturation of the senses with nonsense, with the only connecting theme being to glorify "Minions". lol.

I'm not really sure of your point, so I apologize that I am apparently missing it. It seems to be that there's enough room for deeper films with more meaning, and films that are just goofy fun - for children and for adults.

I'm mostly curious though by what you mean by "This is the ideology they're being fed.". Do you think Minions or Inside Out are pushing a particular agenda?

Children internalize everything. If they watch a heartless movie who's only connecting theme is Minions and various leaders with different degrees of ruthlessness in controlling them, then they will internalize that as a worldview to some degree. They'll buy the Minions merchandise and copy their mannerisms. I don't know that it's pushing a coherent agenda so much as spewing nonsense. It's just a stream of thoughtless nonsense.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 9:14:51 AM

So, what did you think of Minions / Inside Out?
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:33:34 AM
At 7/6/2015 1:21:14 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/5/2015 3:43:35 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
No, this is Patrick.

So have you seen the Minions yet?

No, but that doesn't matter. Its just a little kids movie, made for laughs and fun. The minions are meant to be adorable, not evil. You act like these guys are walking downtown sieg heiling and burning down buildings. They're just cute little yellow guys and you act like its the Third Reich. Chill.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:49:47 AM
At 7/6/2015 10:33:34 AM, PatriotPerson wrote:
No, but that doesn't matter. Its just a little kids movie, made for laughs and fun. The minions are meant to be adorable, not evil. You act like these guys are walking downtown sieg heiling and burning down buildings. They're just cute little yellow guys and you act like its the Third Reich. Chill.

I exaggerate for effect, but it is an annoying / bad film. At least my thread might convince people to go to Inside Out instead of Minions. Might do some good.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:09:38 PM
At 7/6/2015 10:49:47 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/6/2015 10:33:34 AM, PatriotPerson wrote:

I exaggerate for effect, but it is an annoying / bad film. At least my thread might convince people to go to Inside Out instead of Minions. Might do some good.

With your logic, Inside Out is just as bad, if not worse. Characters like Anger, Disgust, and Fear could make children want to accentuate those emotions more, causing a negative influence.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:42:50 PM
No, this is Patrick.

"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:46:36 PM
At 7/6/2015 1:42:50 PM, Lee001 wrote:
No, this is Patrick.

Hurray! Someone else understood that.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 2:08:11 PM
At 7/6/2015 1:46:36 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
At 7/6/2015 1:42:50 PM, Lee001 wrote:
No, this is Patrick.

Hurray! Someone else understood that.

Duh! best episode ever!
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 10:37:51 PM
At 7/6/2015 9:12:09 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/6/2015 1:57:04 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

We're told that 'Minions' have existed longer than 'We' (superior human beings) have. The minions' only purpose is to serve a master, and once they lose their master, their lives become empty and meaningless. They search through all the different masters for one who's strong enough to lead them. It's literally Thomas Hobbes 4 kidz.

I don't think it's just that one is deeper. They are two opposed viewpoints about films and their audience. One treats its audience as so important that the entire film is showing the emotions of one little girl. The other shows its audience as brainless little yellow tic-tacs that run toward whatever's shiny and only need a vicious enough leader to manipulate them.

Children internalize everything. If they watch a heartless movie who's only connecting theme is Minions and various leaders with different degrees of ruthlessness in controlling them, then they will internalize that as a worldview to some degree. They'll buy the Minions merchandise and copy their mannerisms. I don't know that it's pushing a coherent agenda so much as spewing nonsense. It's just a stream of thoughtless nonsense.

If children are adopting a Hobbesian worldview, then that's fantastic. The degree of unwarranted youthful optimism which I encounter is enough to nauseate me.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -