Fan Fic Ch. 8

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 11:01:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
CHAPTER 8

We had landed additional troops on Sulawesi. The thinking, as outlined by Raisor, was to force the FL to redeploy troops from the Balikpapan-Pontianak line to defend Sulawesi at the Baja-Tada line. Really, the ON had no serious ambitions in Sulawesi; our army there was composed of a lot of quickly recruited and poorly trained troops. But they were bodies, and the FL had to prevent those bodies from taking the Island, lest it give us direct access to the Southern Islands of Indonesia or to New Guinea. Cyber's smaller army was already being stretched to the maximum, and it was, I was assured, only a matter of time before his forces collapsed under the pressure.

More importantly, however, spies in Berlin had spotted and pursued YYW. It had been some months since there had been any updates regarding his whereabouts, which was surprising. My agents had attempted to arrest him then, but he had fled, and now our best intelligence supported the theory that he was on his way to the Caribbean, where he had a variety of connections. I ordered that ON thug-police in the region institute a lock down and that YYW's connections be detained and interrogated.

I was not, to confess, quite sure how I felt about YYW's sighting. Something about it unsettled me, and I was not sure whether it was about his probable FL connections, the fact that he had deceived me about those connections, or that part of me still cared about him. Regardless, the only way to end those lingering doubts was to confront him directly, and so I commanded my intelligence officers to redouble their efforts in capturing him.

In order to distract myself, I decided to take a personal trip to Vientiane, a recently pacified territory of the FL. I gave a few speeches to carefully selected crowds, and a radio address, cognizant that many FL sympathizers remained here, and that they had yet to realize the gloriousness of the ON's superior world vision and administration. It would have been unsafe for me to mingle with the masses, given the FL's popularity here.

The regional governor I had appointed for this zone, Hayd, accompanied me on my few trips. He insisted that the ON should halt its drafting policies, as they were becoming increasingly unpopular. Until Southeast Asia could be fully exposed to the beauty of the ON, we were not drafting from that region, but Hayd expressed concerns that word about these policies was trickling down to his citizens, and that it could spark fear that they too may be enrolled in drafts. I agreed that recent, classified reports had noted a decline in pro-ON sentiment on a more national level, but it should not be a point of concern. The FL would, after all, soon be defeated, and then the conscription could be halted. I also assured him that I would have undercover agents of mine better police his region, so these murmurings about unpopular policies would no longer "trickle" down. Stability would be assured, and unstable elements would be robotically, mechanically efficiently eliminated.

The day before I left, I received a report from Raisor that Cyber had only redirect a third of what we had hoped to defend Sulawesi. I expressed concern that if we failed to capture either Borneo or Sulawesi, our offensive could be doomed. Raisor in turn promised that victory was guaranteed, and that he would shortly be ordering simultaneous attacks against both positions.

I boarded my plane the next afternoon, anxiously awaiting Raisor's report on the assaults. I busied myself with administrative paperwork, video conferences with various officials and bureaucrats, and ordering more conscription for the Navy specifically, after I received word that the FL fleets had attacked Shanghai and Mombasa. A fairly routine day, and I signed the orders with little thought or hesitation.

Finally, towards the end of my flight, I received word from Raisor. There was, in his words, both good and bad news. The bad news: Cyber's forces in Sulawesi, though vastly outnumbered, had wiped out more than 300,000 of our troops--and 85% casualty rate. He attributed it to the inexperience of our bodies there, and to Cyber's superior defensive position. The good news: he notified me that there had been a breach in Borneo, and that Cyber was on the run there. It seems, however, the Cyber had planned to retreat even before our assault. He would send troops to Sulawesi to protect it, and would reposition his remaining forced on Borneo to a more defensible line. We gained a huge chunk of the Island, but inflicted very few casualties. Cyber still held Pontianak, and had redrawn his defensive line from there to Banjarmasin. In a level voice, I reminded Raisor that this was not "good" news. We had now been pushed back to the farthest tip of Sulawesi, holding just the city of Kota Manado and some surrounding land, such that we had effectively been forced off the island and would need to retreat. Moreover, we were in no better position to fully control Borneo, which would be necessary to support an amphibious assault on Sumatra.

Raisor nodded. But, he was able to give me some genuinely good news: Songkhla had been taken, and ON forces were advance to Taiping. With Taiping in our hands, we could threaten Kuala Lumpur and then Singapore. That could provide an alternative way to strike at Sumatra should Borneo stall, but it would be risky, because ON naval support could not safely operate on the Eastern Side of Sumatra. Suffice it to say, I strongly emphasized the vital strategic importance of taking Borneo. I repeated to Raisor one of Blade's favorite aphorisms: "Thoroughness is a virtue; the slapdash effort sooner falls apart under pressure."

And I was not one to tolerate slapdash efforts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 7: http://www.debate.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 11:03:46 PM
There will be 10 total chapters, and 9 and 10 should be a bit more exciting.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 8:19:35 PM
At 10/23/2015 11:03:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Can't wait until you finally confront YYW, that scene will be good.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 8:20:43 PM
At 10/24/2015 8:19:35 PM, Hayd wrote:

Can't wait until you finally confront YYW, that scene will be good.

Lol. Hopefully it will be...dramatic.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 12:01:29 PM

oh i just can't wait to see what i do in the end
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.