Jump to topic:

REVIEW: Detective Conan

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 2:38:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay, so...the show, which is one of the longest running shows out there, is ongoing, nearly 800 episodes long, and I've just now cleared 300 episodes a few minutes ago. If I waited until I reached the show's end to review it that'd just be stupid. So I'll review it now. In any case I've seen and Googled enough of it to be able to review it.

Series: Detective Conan (known in the West as "Case Closed" because they were worried that Americans would confuse the titular protagonist with Conan the Barbarian)

Creator: Gosho Aoyama

Airdate: 1996-Present

Genres:
Anime, Detective, Science Fiction, Comedy, Romance

Synopsis:
The show's protagonist is 17 year old Japanese high school student Shinichi Kudo. His father being a famous mystery novelist, he's had a lifelong interest in solving cases as a detective. By the time of the show's beginning he's already made quite a reputation for himself in Japan as a "high school detective". After solving a murder case at an amusement park he notices two suspicious men heading for a secluded alleyway. He follows them in secret and witnesses then carrying out an illegal transaction with a shady businessman. One of the two men appears behind him and knocks him out. Knowing that this boy is a witness to their crime, they decide to kill him by feeding him this experimental drug that's supposed to kill him without leaving behind any evidence. Then they take their leave. However, instead of killing him the drug de-ages him by approximately 10 years, turning him into a 7 year old.
Rushing back to his home (where he lives by himself because his parents are almost constantly overseas) in a hurry, he convinces his next-door neighbor, a genius scientist named Dr. Agasa, that he is Shinichi and he explained what happened to him. They come to the conclusion that the only way to find a permanent antidote for the drug is to hunt down the 2 mystery men, who turn out to be members of an international crime syndicate called the "Black Organization".
In part because he has nowhere else to go, 7 year old Shinichi goes to his childhood friend, Ran Mouri (17 years old), and manages to live with her and her father because she has pity on him and she is led to believe by Dr. Agasa that the parents of this child, who calls himself "Conan Edogawa", have been in a major accident. Ran's father is Kogoro Mouri, an alcoholic and a former cop who was fired for his incompetence and is now trying to make a living as a private investigator (with little luck). Shinichi, AKA Conan, realizes that if he can turn Kogoro Mouri into a world-famous detective then eventually Kogoro (and as a result, Shinichi) will be hired to participate in solving some of the world's most important criminal cases (that is, those involving the Black Organization), allowing Shinichi to eventually be able to find the men who shrunk him and perhaps have the de-aging process undone. Shinichi must hide his identity from everyone, even Ran and Kogoro, because knowing his secret could put them in danger (if the Black Organization finds out that Conan Edogawa is Shinichi Kudo then he's as good as dead). As the series progresses, however, a small handful of allies find out his identity (but never Ran or Kogoro).
So, the typical episode revolves around Kogoro, Ran, and Conan traveling around for whatever reason and a murder occurring virtually everywhere they go. Conan wanders the crime scene looking for evidence. Then he uses a "tranquilizer dart" to knock Kogoro out, hide, and then use a "voice changer" to speak for the now unconscious Kogoro to solve the case. Ironically, though Kogoro becomes a famous detective fairly quickly (and believe me, it goes to Kogoro's head), 700+ episodes into the show Conan's not really any closer to finding the organization (though members of the Organization appear every 30 episodes or so and a few very major events do happen every now and then).

Review: First of all, the author should be praised for his intellect. Each case is different, and sometimes the "killer of the week" uses some really unique and clever method to accomplish the task. It never really gets excessively gory or violent though. It's also a well-written story. There's a lot of characters who interact with each other in interesting and (usually) believable ways. An overlying theme is that Ran doesn't know where Shinichi has disappeared to (though perhaps every 150 episodes or so he reappears briefly thanks to some temporary antidote) and that she's really worried about him and she really misses him (the Shinichi-Ran romance arc has gone on for over 700 episodes now). And of course, it's also shown how Conan doesn't like watching her suffer and is largely powerless to comfort her because as much as he wants to tell her that he's Shinichi he simply can't. Another important part of the story is that, being 7 years old, he's put it a school with other 7 year olds. He befriends 3 (exceptionally intelligent) 7 year olds, and the group of four, which goes around calling itself the "Detective Boys" (though one of its members is a girl), is the main focus of perhaps a third or a fourth of all episodes, in a which case the four of them all work together to solve crimes (of course, they mostly just serve as Conan's assistants).
Also, somehow I managed to watch 300 episodes of this show without growing tired of it, so that kinda says something too. The progression of the story is just frequent enough to keep it all going. One instrument used to progress the Black Organization story arc from time to time is Shiho Miyano, AKA "Ai Haibara", an 18 year old girl who was a scientist for the Black Organization who developed the drug which shrunk Shinichi. After the death of her sister at the hands of the Organization she defected. She used the drug on herself, initially to commit suicide, but when she was shrunk instead to an 8 year old it helped her hide from them. In hiding from the Organization she has come into contact with Shinichi, both of them attending the same "baby school" and occasionally working together to survive and combat the Black Organization. Another key character, who if the Detective Conan wiki is telling the truth is about to really become significant at the point where I am now, is Shuichi Akai, an FBI agent who has infiltrated the Black Organization.
The show also has some good albeit cheesy openings and endings (a LOT of different openings and endings, though to be fair it's because the show's been going on for 19 years).
All that being said, the series has a few noticeable plot holes (which I won't get into here).

The show will not dazzle you every episode like Attack on Titan or Sword Art Online did. It actually has a TON of boring episodes. But I can say confidently that patiently and steadily progressing your way through the series starting from Episode 1 can be a very rewarding investment of your time. 4 out of 5 stars.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 2:47:41 AM
At 10/24/2015 2:38:45 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Okay, so...the show, which is one of the longest running shows out there, is ongoing, nearly 800 episodes long, and I've just now cleared 300 episodes a few minutes ago. If I waited until I reached the show's end to review it that'd just be stupid. So I'll review it now. In any case I've seen and Googled enough of it to be able to review it.

I love Detective Conan... However, as you said, there are some really boring episodes. Especially if you consider the sheer amount of episodes, often nothing really extraordinary happens, nor does it affect the future of the series (some cases excluded), which also makes it kind of boring.
Like if you consider all the 'trapped in a mansion with a killer' cases, it seems like that after the first few they would get tired of this stuff....
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 2:54:03 AM
At 10/25/2015 2:47:41 AM, WAM wrote:
At 10/24/2015 2:38:45 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I love Detective Conan... However, as you said, there are some really boring episodes. Especially if you consider the sheer amount of episodes, often nothing really extraordinary happens, nor does it affect the future of the series (some cases excluded), which also makes it kind of boring.
Like if you consider all the 'trapped in a mansion with a killer' cases, it seems like that after the first few they would get tired of this stuff....

To be able to enjoy this show you have to do several things:
1. Accept that most episodes have absolutely nothing to do with the main plot.
2. Try to enjoy every episode, even the insignificant standalones which are all too common.
3. Get into the mindset that what you want to see in this show is Shinichi/Conan solving cases and explaining how the killer did it and what elaborate method he/she used to fake a alibi and whatnot. Each time try and see if you can figure it out before it's explained at the end. The main storyline should not be the primary reason that you're watching it.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid