Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 10:03:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/1/2015 5:13:51 PM, TheFlex wrote:
So, who's side are you on?

In the comics, Captain America. In the movie (given what we've seen so far), Captain America...I guess?

The comics did a good job of really framing the issue as one of privacy vs. security. The story was essentially a 9/11 allegory, with Tony taking on the role of big government and Cap the role of individual liberty. Tony was also essentially pitiless, with it being revealed that he predicted the rift between superheroes years ago and was already prepared for it all, but did little to prevent it in the first place. The end of the story, which I won't spoil here, was the icing on the cake in terms of Cap's heroicness in the face of overwhelming opposition.

In the movie, it looks like much more of a simple bromance between Cap and Bucky. Yes, I understand that Bucky appears to be falsely accused of some kind of huge terrorist attack (at the U.N., perhaps?) and in adding him, Cap is essentially harboring a fugitive. But why shouldn't Iron Man be defensive against that? The team was always called into action against super powered villains, of which Bucky has been (and could potentially still be) one. All that said, without seeing the movie, Cap will obviously be framed as the hero (it's not called Iron Man: Civil War).
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 11:03:10 PM
On a related note, and one that is coming up frequently these days, Iron Man beats Captain America in a fight.

I hope we can all move on now.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 11:05:14 PM
I didnt read the comics but if Marvel is going straight from scratch in making Spiderman for this movie then its quite a crapshoot over which side he takes since we know literally nothing about his origins.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 1:45:37 AM
At 12/2/2015 10:03:46 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/1/2015 5:13:51 PM, TheFlex wrote:
So, who's side are you on?

In the comics, Captain America. In the movie (given what we've seen so far), Captain America...I guess?

The comics did a good job of really framing the issue as one of privacy vs. security. The story was essentially a 9/11 allegory, with Tony taking on the role of big government and Cap the role of individual liberty. Tony was also essentially pitiless, with it being revealed that he predicted the rift between superheroes years ago and was already prepared for it all, but did little to prevent it in the first place. The end of the story, which I won't spoil here, was the icing on the cake in terms of Cap's heroicness in the face of overwhelming opposition.

In the movie, it looks like much more of a simple bromance between Cap and Bucky. Yes, I understand that Bucky appears to be falsely accused of some kind of huge terrorist attack (at the U.N., perhaps?) and in adding him, Cap is essentially harboring a fugitive. But why shouldn't Iron Man be defensive against that? The team was always called into action against super powered villains, of which Bucky has been (and could potentially still be) one. All that said, without seeing the movie, Cap will obviously be framed as the hero (it's not called Iron Man: Civil War).

Yeah, I don't like the plot they appear to be going for in this movie as much as I liked the comic plot. That won't deter me from seeing this on drop day though. The trailer has me hyped.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 1:47:02 AM
At 12/2/2015 11:05:14 PM, imabench wrote:
I didnt read the comics but if Marvel is going straight from scratch in making Spiderman for this movie then its quite a crapshoot over which side he takes since we know literally nothing about his origins.

I don't think it'll be too big a deal if they decide to throw Spider-man into this movie.
I feel like he's such a common household name at this point that it might be enough to throw him in without giving him his own movie beforehand.