Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Batman vs. Superman trailer is...something?

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 11:34:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So the new Batman vs. Superman trailer dropped and it certainly is...a thing that exists. What are your thoughts? I'll be discussing some of its major points below so if you want to go in completely spoiler-free, stop now.

Anyway, don't let the avatar fool you, I am a huge Superman fan. That said, this trailer is a not promising. The characterizations seem way off (e.g., Clark Kent as confident and confrontational, Bruce Wayne as a close-minded xenophobe, Lex Luthor as some kind of Willy Wonka-type character). The CGI feels dated and obvious, with Doomsday looking like some kind of giant toad. The plot - which is unfortunately completely ruined by the trailer - is predictable: Lex Luthor brings the heroes together, they fight for a bit, then they team up against Doomsday. Also, the shoe-horning in of Wonder Woman feels so forced that even the main characters don't know who she is when she arrives.

All in all, the earlier trailers, which were more about setting the mood, were much better. Even then, they all fall short of what appears to be the superior team-up film of next year - Captain America: Civil War.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 1:00:24 PM
At 12/3/2015 11:34:22 PM, Maikuru wrote:
So the new Batman vs. Superman trailer dropped and it certainly is...a thing that exists. What are your thoughts? I'll be discussing some of its major points below so if you want to go in completely spoiler-free, stop now.

Anyway, don't let the avatar fool you, I am a huge Superman fan. That said, this trailer is a not promising. The characterizations seem way off (e.g., Clark Kent as confident and confrontational, Bruce Wayne as a close-minded xenophobe, Lex Luthor as some kind of Willy Wonka-type character). The CGI feels dated and obvious, with Doomsday looking like some kind of giant toad. The plot - which is unfortunately completely ruined by the trailer - is predictable: Lex Luthor brings the heroes together, they fight for a bit, then they team up against Doomsday. Also, the shoe-horning in of Wonder Woman feels so forced that even the main characters don't know who she is when she arrives.

All in all, the earlier trailers, which were more about setting the mood, were much better. Even then, they all fall short of what appears to be the superior team-up film of next year - Captain America: Civil War.

After the first and second trailer, I really no longer feel a need to see the movie.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:28:15 AM

Honestly, this trailer killed the hype for me. I feel like DC is rushing into this way too fast to try and catch up to Marvel. They can take their time like Marvel and really flesh this stuff out.

Some things I personally didn't like about the trailer. Lex Luthor being some comic relief and not really true to the character (this could of course change during the movie), the same could almost be said for Clark. Revealing Zod to be Doomsday, this was done way too soon. This is definitely something I would rather have seen in the movie myself.

Overall, I feel like this is too rushed. They should have panned this out some more to give more detail to everything rather than bunch it all up so soon. I also feel like with as iconic of a villain as Doomsday if he should be getting a movie centered around him since he was THE villainr when he first came out. These issues won't stop me from seeing it and depending on how it all meshes together I could come out liking more than what I went into it with.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 2:53:32 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
Anyway, don't let the avatar fool you, I am a huge Superman fan. That said, this trailer is a not promising. The characterizations seem way off (e.g., Clark Kent as confident and confrontational, Bruce Wayne as a close-minded xenophobe, Lex Luthor as some kind of Willy Wonka-type character).

Well, you're right about Clark Kent. Batman in the comics is supposed to be a close-minded xenophobe though. He's the guy who trusts literally no one. The version this movie is doing is more accurate than any of the other live action Batmans just judging by this trailer. In case you didn't read the comic, he actually has a full plan to stop literally every member of the justice league in case they go rogue. That's how much he trusts them.

And I like the way they're doing Lex. It's not really comic book accurate, but I think the character will be good anyway.

The CGI feels dated and obvious, with Doomsday looking like some kind of giant toad.

Actually he looks like the trolls from Lord of the Rings, which makes sense, because those animators are actually working on a specific scene in the movie. Probably the Doomsday one.

Not that I'm defending it. I think that they made a horrible move by bringing in Doomsday and making him look like that. They should've done Bizzaro. That would've been a great antagonist.

The plot - which is unfortunately completely ruined by the trailer - is predictable: Lex Luthor brings the heroes together, they fight for a bit, then they team up against Doomsday.

Yeah, I mean, it seems basic, but unless you build the characters up for a long time, there's really no way to do it without one of them doing a few things out of ill-intent. So it's understandable.

Also, the shoe-horning in of Wonder Woman feels so forced that even the main characters don't know who she is when she arrives.

She's going to be a character throughout the movie. She shows up as an ambassador throughout the movie, and I think the way they do it in the movie will make sense. Also, her alter ego, Diana, supposedly knows Bruce and has for a while. In this version she's been on earth for like 80 something years. It just feels forced because of the way the trailer works.

Marvel is generally superior just because they've already established a lot of ground. You don't have to rush Civil War to explain why Cap and Iron Man are fighting or why it's emotional. You don't have to explain any of the characters besides Black Panther really, and explaining one character is easy.

The DCCU has one movie in it, Man of Steel. That's why they're rushing, because in order to match Marvel they have to do team-up movies. I think the movie will be at least fun. Like a movie that you could watch a few times. Unfortunately, DC tried Green Lantern, and the director took a crap instead of starting a viable DCCU, so they trashed that and had to wait for a half-decent director to make a Superman movie for them.

Honestly, DC would save itself a lot of trouble if they would've just merged the TV shows with the movies. The TV shows at this point are great, and starting the movies from a point of greatness would've helped them a lot. Especially since there were already a couple well-developed super heroes to start them out with. I sort of understand why they didn't merge, but it would've been a lot better for them.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 2:54:17 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 12/4/2015 5:57:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
I hope Superman goes evil like in Injustice. That would be a good twist.

You have to wait a while to do that. Doing that too early on just destroys the character development.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 11:59:00 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/7/2015 2:53:32 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Batman in the comics is supposed to be a close-minded xenophobe though. He's the guy who trusts literally no one. The version this movie is doing is more accurate than any of the other live action Batmans just judging by this trailer. In case you didn't read the comic, he actually has a full plan to stop literally every member of the justice league in case they go rogue. That's how much he trusts them.

Batman is the greatest detective. He is so great that he realizes that he is a comic book character and that comic book writers feel the need to introduce new ridiculous story lines in order to boost sales. That is why he knows how to shut down every other member of the Justice League. It isn't a matter of if, but when the writers will make a character go rogue.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 12:07:39 AM
At 12/4/2015 1:00:24 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

After the first and second trailer, I really no longer feel a need to see the movie.

I've heard that from a lot of people. I haven't been interested in seeing it since Afflek was announced, and this trailer, while it didn't confirm my suspicions, certainly didn't alleviate them.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 12:09:18 AM
At 12/4/2015 5:57:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
I hope Superman goes evil like in Injustice. That would be a good twist.

The parts in the trailer where he seems pissed have been widely speculated to be a dream, but I'm not sure. That would be one long dream, considering how many scenes we see of him and Batman in that desert-like area. Had they gone the route of having Luthor use Zod to create a Bizzaro Superman rather than doomsday, we may have seen some of that sweet, sweet evil Superman action.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 12:14:30 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:28:15 AM, TheFlex wrote:

Honestly, this trailer killed the hype for me. I feel like DC is rushing into this way too fast to try and catch up to Marvel. They can take their time like Marvel and really flesh this stuff out.

Agreed. They are essentially taking the exact opposite strategy that Marvel has taken, which is unfortunate...for everybody lol.

Some things I personally didn't like about the trailer. Lex Luthor being some comic relief and not really true to the character (this could of course change during the movie), the same could almost be said for Clark. Revealing Zod to be Doomsday, this was done way too soon. This is definitely something I would rather have seen in the movie myself.

I also really dislike this characterization of Lex. He's like a mad scientist meets a meth addict. It's as though he and Jared Leto made a bet about who could be zanier in their new roles. The reveal of Doomsday was so bad that they are trying to deflect some of the fan backlash, now saying that he isn't the big villain. Either that's false and they realize they've shown too much, or that's true and they are trying to pack even more character reveals in.

Overall, I feel like this is too rushed. They should have panned this out some more to give more detail to everything rather than bunch it all up so soon. I also feel like with as iconic of a villain as Doomsday if he should be getting a movie centered around him since he was THE villainr when he first came out. These issues won't stop me from seeing it and depending on how it all meshes together I could come out liking more than what I went into it with.

I always pictured Doomsday as the villain of the 3rd Superman film, much like we have Civil War for Cap and Ragnarok for Thor.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 12:19:34 AM

Well, you're right about Clark Kent. Batman in the comics is supposed to be a close-minded xenophobe though. He's the guy who trusts literally no one. The version this movie is doing is more accurate than any of the other live action Batmans just judging by this trailer. In case you didn't read the comic, he actually has a full plan to stop literally every member of the justice league in case they go rogue. That's how much he trusts them.

Yeah, I know the storyline. My issue isn't that he has a contingency plan for other heroes, it's the disdain he seems to be showing for Superman being an alien. It's as though every evil deed that's every happened in his life wasn't committed by a human lol.

And I like the way they're doing Lex. It's not really comic book accurate, but I think the character will be good anyway.

The CGI feels dated and obvious, with Doomsday looking like some kind of giant toad.

Actually he looks like the trolls from Lord of the Rings, which makes sense, because those animators are actually working on a specific scene in the movie. Probably the Doomsday one.

Not that I'm defending it. I think that they made a horrible move by bringing in Doomsday and making him look like that. They should've done Bizzaro. That would've been a great antagonist.

Agreed, though I dislike the reveal of the villain in the first place. I guess it's my fault for even watching the trailer.

The plot - which is unfortunately completely ruined by the trailer - is predictable: Lex Luthor brings the heroes together, they fight for a bit, then they team up against Doomsday.

Yeah, I mean, it seems basic, but unless you build the characters up for a long time, there's really no way to do it without one of them doing a few things out of ill-intent. So it's understandable.

DC may have been better served just following the winning formula set out by Marvel. Of course, doing so was made that much harder by Man of Steel's lackluster critical and fan reception.

Also, the shoe-horning in of Wonder Woman feels so forced that even the main characters don't know who she is when she arrives.

She's going to be a character throughout the movie. She shows up as an ambassador throughout the movie, and I think the way they do it in the movie will make sense. Also, her alter ego, Diana, supposedly knows Bruce and has for a while. In this version she's been on earth for like 80 something years. It just feels forced because of the way the trailer works.

That's why it's a bad trailer lol

Marvel is generally superior just because they've already established a lot of ground. You don't have to rush Civil War to explain why Cap and Iron Man are fighting or why it's emotional. You don't have to explain any of the characters besides Black Panther really, and explaining one character is easy.

The DCCU has one movie in it, Man of Steel. That's why they're rushing, because in order to match Marvel they have to do team-up movies. I think the movie will be at least fun. Like a movie that you could watch a few times. Unfortunately, DC tried Green Lantern, and the director took a crap instead of starting a viable DCCU, so they trashed that and had to wait for a half-decent director to make a Superman movie for them.

Honestly, DC would save itself a lot of trouble if they would've just merged the TV shows with the movies. The TV shows at this point are great, and starting the movies from a point of greatness would've helped them a lot. Especially since there were already a couple well-developed super heroes to start them out with. I sort of understand why they didn't merge, but it would've been a lot better for them.

That is the one advantage DC had over Marvel - they had the opportunity to incorporate the tv characters. It is suspected that Marvel may do that during Infinity War, but that's still a few movies away and DC could have gotten the jump on them here and now. It's too bad, as that may have undone some of the damage.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 12:24:55 AM
At 12/14/2015 11:59:00 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Batman in the comics is supposed to be a close-minded xenophobe though. He's the guy who trusts literally no one. The version this movie is doing is more accurate than any of the other live action Batmans just judging by this trailer. In case you didn't read the comic, he actually has a full plan to stop literally every member of the justice league in case they go rogue. That's how much he trusts them.

Batman is the greatest detective. He is so great that he realizes that he is a comic book character and that comic book writers feel the need to introduce new ridiculous story lines in order to boost sales. That is why he knows how to shut down every other member of the Justice League. It isn't a matter of if, but when the writers will make a character go rogue.

https://numberonebatfan.files.wordpress.com...
- lamerde

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 1:04:03 AM
At 12/15/2015 12:24:55 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/14/2015 11:59:00 PM, Geogeer wrote:

https://numberonebatfan.files.wordpress.com...

https://www.youtube.com...
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 12:56:24 PM
At 12/15/2015 12:14:30 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I always pictured Doomsday as the villain of the 3rd Superman film, much like we have Civil War for Cap and Ragnarok for Thor.

Exactly my thoughts! Especially with how iconic Doomsday was in the comics. The first villain to "kill" Superman. This guy deserved his own movie not to be crammed into a rushed mash-up.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 7:24:00 PM
How about that moment where Batman raises his hands to protect himself from Doomsday's heat vision? He raises his hands...? Really, Batman? Really?

On another note, I'm highly disappointed that Wonder Woman was in the trailer at all. There's a podcast I love called the Weekly Planet (check it out) that compared her use in the trailer to the Avenger's trailer, where they showed Hulk catching Iron Man as he fell to his death. That was a huge moment and in the theaters, there was 0 tension as he fell because we knew what would happen. Similarly, when the moment in Batman v Superman comes where it appears Doomsday is about to let loose on Batman, there will be no tension because we know exactly who is about to be introduced. Bummer.
- lamerde

Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 3:57:10 PM

Doomsday's face is exactly that of the troll from Lord of the rings. I hate it.

Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 3:58:11 PM
Anyway, don't let the avatar fool you, I am a huge Superman fan. That said, this trailer is a not promising. The characterizations seem way off (e.g., Clark Kent as confident and confrontational, Bruce Wayne as a close-minded xenophobe, Lex Luthor as some kind of Willy Wonka-type character).

Glad someone else caught it.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:32:05 PM

Im hoping Batman vs Superman does well, but I have heavy doubts that it will..... at least in terms of reception
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:16:40 AM
At 12/21/2015 10:32:05 PM, imabench wrote:

Im hoping Batman vs Superman does well, but I have heavy doubts that it will..... at least in terms of reception

Yeah, I don't think it will beat Civil War at the box office. Will you watch it? I'm a huge Superman fan and even I'm not that interested in watching it.
- lamerde