Jump to topic:

Star Wars Episode 7

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 4:55:23 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
The reviews are in, and it looks promising. Episode 7 is given a 97% on Rotten tomatoes, so it likely is a very good movie.

Anybody else watching it?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 4:53:08 AM
At 12/16/2015 4:55:23 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
The reviews are in, and it looks promising. Episode 7 is given a 97% on Rotten tomatoes, so it likely is a very good movie.

I will likely watch it in a month or so, when I have more time.

I am hopeful for an enjoyable film, but be wary. The hype surrounding the movie is sure to inflate early reviews, especially among fans. Remember, The Phantom Menace got almost perfect reviews initially.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 5:45:31 AM

Wait: it's out NOW?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 5:56:55 AM

'Greatest movie since the prequesls ;D, 10/10 no water' -IGN
"Change your sig."
~YYW
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 9:10:59 AM
I watched it and it kinda sucks in comparison to the original three. Too many plot holes and the Star Wars magic is seemingly gone. But at least its better than the prequels. Spoiler: Jar Jar Binks isn't the sith lord and it isn't Luke ether.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 6:27:45 PM
At 12/18/2015 9:10:59 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
I watched it and it kinda sucks in comparison to the original three. Too many plot holes and the Star Wars magic is seemingly gone. But at least its better than the prequels. Spoiler: Jar Jar Binks isn't the sith lord and it isn't Luke ether.

There weren't any glaring plot holes.

The movie wasn't good as the originals, I think largely due to pacing, the clear directorial stamp of Abrams, and the modern dialogue that sounds like scripted banter rather than actual people talking.

Still Kylo Ren is a really good character, performed very well with an interesting arc. There's a cool dichotomy set up between the two young people who will inherit the Force (Kylo and Ray).

I wasn't super stoked about the symmetry to the plot of Episode IV and was a little bored by the "big picture" end battle (seeing as its the THIRD TIME the franchise has done it), but the movie made up for it by the interesting stuff on the ground.

I thought the movie was a lot of fun, it was a satisfying blockbuster, has just enough meat to have a little bit of intrigue, but definitely falls short of being a great movie. There are only a few really memorable scenes.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 6:36:11 PM
At 12/17/2015 4:53:08 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I am hopeful for an enjoyable film, but be wary. The hype surrounding the movie is sure to inflate early reviews, especially among fans. Remember, The Phantom Menace got almost perfect reviews initially.

I started trying to write a defense of the Phantom Menace at least having some good elements, then realized I couldn't even remember the convoluted plot. Like, they rescued anakin and there was a pod race, but there was also jar jar and an underwater city and for some reasons gungans were fighting robots on Naboo because...there was a trade blockade? and when did they fight darth maul? wtf even happened in that movie...

But Episode 7 is pretty good. I'd class it like The Avengers...pretty pulpy but a solid and entertaining movie. Has some heart but it is too "fun" to be as good as the original trilogy.

Don't go in expecting it to be GREAT, go in expecting it to be fun.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 9:11:20 PM
At 12/19/2015 6:36:11 PM, Raisor wrote:

I started trying to write a defense of the Phantom Menace at least having some good elements, then realized I couldn't even remember the convoluted plot. Like, they rescued anakin and there was a pod race, but there was also jar jar and an underwater city and for some reasons gungans were fighting robots on Naboo because...there was a trade blockade? and when did they fight darth maul? wtf even happened in that movie...

So (Senator) Palpatine wants to become the Chancellor, so he has the Trade Federation (known in the future as the Separatists) put a blockade on the Naboo system. The idea behind it was to inspire a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum after having the blockade put invading forces on Naboo, and then for whatever reason Valorum wouldn't be able to stop it himself. So that worked, and Palpatine becomes a candidate for the Chancellorship.

Everything else was kind of too fvcked to do anything with.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 12:23:00 AM

I'm being completely honest in saying the best part about that movie was the trailer. That said, I'll still watch the entire series again before watching episode 7. What would your viewing order be: 1-7 or 4-6, 1-3, 7?

But Episode 7 is pretty good. I'd class it like The Avengers...pretty pulpy but a solid and entertaining movie. Has some heart but it is too "fun" to be as good as the original trilogy.

That's good to know. Episode 4 was kind of like lightning in a bottle, so I wasn't expecting anything on that level. What I was curious about was the tone it set. Would you say it has a Guardians of the Galaxy, space-adventure type feel, or is the tone more subdued?
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 12:23:40 AM
At 12/19/2015 9:11:20 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

So (Senator) Palpatine wants to become the Chancellor, so he has the Trade Federation (known in the future as the Separatists) put a blockade on the Naboo system. The idea behind it was to inspire a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum after having the blockade put invading forces on Naboo, and then for whatever reason Valorum wouldn't be able to stop it himself. So that worked, and Palpatine becomes a candidate for the Chancellorship.

Everything else was kind of too fvcked to do anything with.

Thrilling lol
- lamerde

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 2:20:23 AM
At 12/20/2015 12:23:00 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I'm being completely honest in saying the best part about that movie was the trailer. That said, I'll still watch the entire series again before watching episode 7. What would your viewing order be: 1-7 or 4-6, 1-3, 7?

I would not watch 1-3 lol.

I wound up watching most of 4-6 in order during the week.

That's good to know. Episode 4 was kind of like lightning in a bottle, so I wasn't expecting anything on that level. What I was curious about was the tone it set. Would you say it has a Guardians of the Galaxy, space-adventure type feel, or is the tone more subdued?

Yeah guardians is a good comparison. I'd say it does feel like star wars, but an amped up modern blockbuster version. so not quite as goofy as guardians but closer to that then to the originals
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 10:06:55 PM

To be completely honest it was really underwhelming and almost boring. IT had the exact same plot as 4, the sith guy was a b!tch, there was no character development with the 2 new characters, the dialogue sucked and there was just a whole bunch of other things that didn't make sense.

But it had Yayan Ruhian in it for a few seconds. That made me happy.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 10:07:18 PM

+1
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 11:23:28 PM
I saw it, and it was amazing. It's not just my favourite Star Wars movie... it's my favourite movie!
"Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?" -Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:45:51 AM
At 12/20/2015 11:23:28 PM, SirMaximus wrote:
I saw it, and it was amazing. It's not just my favourite Star Wars movie... it's my favourite movie!

And what was your favorite movie before?
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:47:55 AM
At 12/19/2015 6:27:45 PM, Raisor wrote:

There weren't any glaring plot holes.

The movie wasn't good as the originals, I think largely due to pacing, the clear directorial stamp of Abrams, and the modern dialogue that sounds like scripted banter rather than actual people talking.

Still Kylo Ren is a really good character, performed very well with an interesting arc. There's a cool dichotomy set up between the two young people who will inherit the Force (Kylo and Ray).

He wasn't that intersting. I thought he was just a whiny brat sith. and didn't he die when the planet exploded?

I wasn't super stoked about the symmetry to the plot of Episode IV and was a little bored by the "big picture" end battle (seeing as its the THIRD TIME the franchise has done it), but the movie made up for it by the interesting stuff on the ground.

I thought the movie was a lot of fun, it was a satisfying blockbuster, has just enough meat to have a little bit of intrigue, but definitely falls short of being a great movie. There are only a few really memorable scenes.
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:34:46 PM
At 12/21/2015 6:45:51 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
At 12/20/2015 11:23:28 PM, SirMaximus wrote:

And what was your favorite movie before?

Back to the Future.
"Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?" -Obi-Wan Kenobi
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 7:45:17 AM
I definitely enjoyed it, however, my family - who have never seen star wars - were just confused throughout the entire thing. That was kind of sad.

Anyway, throwback down memory lane. WOohoO! :D
(They have the old actors too, that was the greatest).

I think the moviemakers did an amazing job on the CG and the wonderful scenes portrayed. The actions seemed a lot less choreographed, and there was only as much suspension of disbelief as any of the previous movies (I mean seriously, Napoleonic tactics and grounds troops? Big crowds of standing armies? In a civilization with such advanced and futuristic technology? Nuh-uh.)
They really outdid themselves, and I'm happy. :)

For a movie of Star Wars with better graphics, camera-work, and scene-cutting (no doubt techniques developed over time and improved since the previous Star Wars movie), I have to give this one a 9/10 :D
Senpai has noticed you.