Jump to topic:

Star Wars: Episode VII-Kylo Ren

DeepThought42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 5:05:09 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I was really disappointed with Kylo Ren as a villain. After reading many fan theories, I was really hoping that the big reveal would be that he was either Luke or Jar-Jar Binks, the latter of which I really wanted to see because of how much the theory makes sense and how much that would make the prequels more interesting to watch. Also, I was not intimidated by him. With the other enemies (Dooku, Grevious, Palpatine, and of course Vader), I was legitimately intimidated and thought that they posed a threat to the heroes. With Kylo, it felt like he was untrained and not even that committed to the dark side, commenting at one point that he was "tempted to the light." Also, I can't take him seriously because he loses a lightsaber battle to a person who has NEVER DUELED WITH A LIGHTSABER BEFORE! I thought it'd be much more interesting if it showed Rai barely being able to defend herself from Kylo's attacks and she is saved by the crumbling planet conveniently separating her and Kylo.A279;Was I the only one who felt this way?
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2015 11:06:04 AM
At 12/26/2015 5:05:09 AM, DeepThought42 wrote:
I was really disappointed with Kylo Ren as a villain. After reading many fan theories, I was really hoping that the big reveal would be that he was either Luke or Jar-Jar Binks, the latter of which I really wanted to see because of how much the theory makes sense and how much that would make the prequels more interesting to watch. Also, I was not intimidated by him. With the other enemies (Dooku, Grevious, Palpatine, and of course Vader), I was legitimately intimidated and thought that they posed a threat to the heroes. With Kylo, it felt like he was untrained and not even that committed to the dark side, commenting at one point that he was "tempted to the light." Also, I can't take him seriously because he loses a lightsaber battle to a person who has NEVER DUELED WITH A LIGHTSABER BEFORE! I thought it'd be much more interesting if it showed Rai barely being able to defend herself from Kylo's attacks and she is saved by the crumbling planet conveniently separating her and Kylo.A279;Was I the only one who felt this way?

The entire point was that he was a bad villain. That was his character: someone who wanted to be Vader but just wasn't.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:28:21 AM

Agreed. Kylo Ren was a loser in almost every sense of the word.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:35:34 AM
He could've been the latest in a long line of intimidating, powerful, and cool Star Wars villains, even if he was a one-movie sort of villain like Darth Maul. Giving him a family tie to some of the protagonists could've been done well, but instead they did it so that Kylo Ren was more or less a Sith noob who had no business handling a lightsaber. What's worse is that they're probably gonna bring this guy back as the main Sith enemy of the next movie...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 9:42:55 PM
I think Kylo Ren is going to die a tragic and pointless death as a pseudo-villain. And who says pathetic pseudo-villains can't affect great harms to the protagonists of a series? Break the trope!
Also, I think Snoke will probably be filling the role of the main villain, if any.
Senpai has noticed you.
Forthelulz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 12:37:28 AM
The way I see it, lazy writing prevented the Empire's victory over the Rebel scum.

What, exactly, was stopping Ren from force choking that deserter when he had the lightsaber?

If Ren hadn't been bad-writing'd into that, it would have gone something like:

*STORMTROOPER DESERTER UNWORTHY OF A NAME picks up the lightsaber*
"I have a lightsaber, cool!"
*Enter KYLO REN*
Kylo: Gimme!
SDUN: No!
Kylo: Okay.
*Force choke ensues*
Kylo: Thank you.
*There can be only one!*
"I really should have seen that com--"
*dead*
*REY enters as the head of the deserter sails towards her*
"NOOOOO!"
*Force grab*
"You're going to Snoke, Missy. And this time, I'm keeping a whole bunch of guards in the same room as you."
*Star Destroyer fleet appears over the Rebel base*
The Admiral Guy: Commence planetary bombardment.
*Exterminatus ensues*
*Bye-bye Rebel scum.*
Scene change, or, what I would have put in:
*Enter SNOKE*
Snoke: All is going according to how you said it would play out, Grand Admiral.
Grand Admiral (from offscreen): Excellent. Continue this, and the galaxy will be properly united under Imperial might. (Admiral guy) was a fool, just like Tarkin, and his failure speaks for itself.
Snoke: Only a fool would disagree with you, Grand Admiral Thrawn. However, he is competent enough to let live... for now.
*Enter REY, flanked by two Stormtrooper extras*
Snoke: Excellent. Grand Admiral Thrawn, meet Rey. Rey, meet Grand Admiral Thrawn. I'll teach you the ways of the Force, and he'll teach you strategy.
*roll credits*
(You want a better villain? Here, have Thrawn. Thrawn back + disarmed Rebels + no Noghri + (If Thrawn's back, that means that Mount Tantiss is around somewhere + Joruus C'Boath + No more cases like deserting Stormtroopers (because Spaarti cylinders)) = Empire victory for all time.

Also, I love how Ren's a blend of Darth Caedus and Dessann, without the character development of the former, or the general magnificence of the latter. Search your feelings; you know it to be true.
Also, he looks like book!Snape.
=Chief Defenestrator=

#ImperiumAmerica

This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org...
Welcome Thread:
New Members Read Me:
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:49:25 AM
I will throw out there that I do consider it nice that Kylo is not some aged methodical Sith lord similar to Dooku or Vader.... Kylo might not be very likable on his own, but he better puts into perspective just how great all previous sith lords in the star wars movies really were
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:56:20 AM
At 1/1/2016 12:37:28 AM, Forthelulz wrote:
Also, he looks like book!Snape.

Lol he does. He so does. Snape with a lightsaber. Now that's something that needs to be turned into a fanfiction of some kind. Snape being transported into the star-wars universe and supplanting Kylo.
SOMEONE NEEDS TO WRITE THIS!!
Senpai has noticed you.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 4:14:17 AM
I agree that he is certainly the weakest Sith lord ever portrayed in a movie. But look at what he is. One, he lives in the shadow of Vader, who makes any potential replacement look weak. Two, he's the son of Han Solo. This can't be underestimated, as having resistance-blood in him is going to feature very prominently in later movies. Three, he has obvious anger issues which, while important to a Sith, is ultimately destructive at the level he has it. And four, if you remember the last First Order scene, Snope said that he would complete Kylo's training, which implies that he was never there yet to begin with.

Overall, I except him to grow significantly by the end of the next movie. I also except Rey to grow significantly by the end of the next movie. Hopefully their fight scene in the next movie isn't going to look like a Sith lord escaping death at the hands of someone who had never wielded a lightsaber before only by the intervention of a 10 feet wide chasm. Seriously, I realize Rey is force sensitive, but...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:13:49 PM

I would not be so quick to write off Kylo Ren. He is probably one of the best force users displayed thus far. I think Ren's beating him is due to the fact that she is unknowingly very powerful, kind of like Gohan. Kylo even acknowledges that she has great connection with the Force.

But here is a few things about Kylo:

Kylo represents a struggle between the Dark side and the Light side. Both give way to radicalism and arrogance respective to their own side, and as we know this is a bad thing. Kylo has the potential find a balance between the two, best of both worlds. Sometimes you the dark side for the rage and immediate power, but sometimes you need the light side to maintain peace and clear thought.

Kylo loses his cool twice in the movie. Once in front of a direct subordinate, who I assume is high ranking. The other is in a room alone, however two stormtroopers do quickly avoid the room. This was for comic relief, obviously, which occurs several times in the movie. Being in the military I can relate to this. Superiors are very aware of their surroundings and often raging in those two instances is appropriate.

Look at the instances where Kylo remains in complete control. While conversing with the supreme leader, and General Hux is being a dick. While Kylo is interrogating, even when not getting the answer he is looking for he remains calm. Especially when Kylo is out mind tricked by Ren, he doesn't lose his cool.

Kylo stopped a blaster beam in mid-air. That is some serious force use.

I am just waiting for Jar Jar to show up.