Jump to topic:

Enter Shikari

zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 10:13:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
There is a good reason why they won Kerrang's Live Band of the year in 07 and were nominated in 09.
When I saw MCR and Linkin Park live in 07 at Projekt Rev, I thought I would never see a better display of showmanship, except in a better arena.
Then me and dark went to the Eagle Theater today.
Possibly the worst place to have a concert, small stage, small floor, terrible lights, no backdrop.
Shikari fkn tore it up.
We had a giant circle pit around the command console of the venue, we made a human pyramid, Rou climbed the rafters and told us about capitalism and compared it to the human body.
Rory made jokes, including "What does a gay horse eat?" "Heyyyy!"
Greatness, thine name is Shikari.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 10:18:56 PM
^^^^ truth. It was epic on all levels. The pyramid was absolutely sick (me and zgod were both in it).

"Oiy i'm the FVCKING lungs" - Rou

oh yeah and I crowd surfed b1tches, twas sweeeet.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 7:52:54 AM
At 10/20/2010 10:13:20 PM, zGodMode wrote:

Older than your mother

There are better bands than Shikari out there. They may be better at putting on a show, but that's it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 8:31:31 PM
At 10/21/2010 7:52:54 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Older than your mother

There are better bands than Shikari out there. They may be better at putting on a show, but that's it.

Well no shizz, for every band there is, there's almost always going to be a better one.
I'd rather watch the better performer live, than the better band.
Case in point, LightsGoBlue and Sleeping with Sirens.
LGB would be considered a worse band, but LGB is a much better performing band.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 8:57:06 PM
At 10/21/2010 8:31:31 PM, zGodMode wrote:

Older than your mother

Well no shizz, for every band there is, there's almost always going to be a better one.

Then go to a play. But when you go to a concert, you want to hear the better band. Come on... Shikari doesn't deserve an entire thread dedicated to them, based on their musical talents.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:26:26 PM
At 10/21/2010 8:57:06 PM, annhasle wrote:

Older than your mother

Then go to a play. But when you go to a concert, you want to hear the better band. Come on... Shikari doesn't deserve an entire thread dedicated to them, based on their musical talents.

Since when is going to concerts about listening to music?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:28:15 PM
At 10/21/2010 9:26:26 PM, Korashk wrote:

Older than your mother

agreed.. you can listen to the music whenever you want.... you go to the show to see a show...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:31:16 PM

Older than your mother

You'd go to watch a SHITTY band play because they have a better light show or fog? I want to watch the PERFORMER play, and hear my favorite music done live. If they have an awesome show, I'm lucky. But I've gone to small pubs to hear a guy play in front of one microphone, and that's what it is about - the music.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:33:35 PM
At 10/21/2010 9:28:15 PM, belle wrote:

Older than your mother

agreed.. you can listen to the music whenever you want.... you go to the show to see a show...

Like I aid to Korashk, you'd rather pay the money to see a crappier band based on their 'show'? I go to see the performer play and have a good time. If the music is crap, I don't care about their light show. I'm there for the MUSIC. That's the point of a concert... If they have an awesome show too, then that's an artist I'd be even more excited to see, for sure. But if they only have a good show and sound like crap or worse than another band I could see, why waste the money?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:41:38 PM
I'm with ann on this one.

A simple show with awesome music trumps a fancy show with crappy music.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:41:48 PM
At 10/21/2010 9:33:35 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 10/21/2010 9:28:15 PM, belle wrote:

Older than your mother

Like I aid to Korashk, you'd rather pay the money to see a crappier band based on their 'show'? I go to see the performer play and have a good time. If the music is crap, I don't care about their light show. I'm there for the MUSIC. That's the point of a concert... If they have an awesome show too, then that's an artist I'd be even more excited to see, for sure. But if they only have a good show and sound like crap or worse than another band I could see, why waste the money?

well obviously part of the show is non-painful music... and i'm not talking about only crazy big arena things with light-shows either. one of the very best shows i ever went to was some completely random band i'd never even heard of that played generic electronic pop in a tiny basement venue. but it was FUN. they busted out a parachute and all kinds of other weird props and got really involved with the audience. i don't enjoy their music when i'm just sitting at home in my room (totally boring and uninspiring) but it was an awesome show. i'd rather do that than again than go to another morrissey show (and lord knows i love me some morrissey)(for a year i listened to almost nothing but >.<). he's just old and boring up on stage nowadays...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:51:40 PM
At 10/21/2010 9:31:16 PM, annhasle wrote:

Older than your mother

You'd go to watch a SHITTY band play because they have a better light show or fog?

No, I wouldn't mind listening to sh!tty music if the band put on a great performance.

Light shows and fog does not a performance make.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:28:49 PM
Ann your missing the point. Putting on a good show isn't simply about the lights or fog or any of that (cuz at some shows they are bad for all the bands even the main). But in a large part it is how the band interacts with the crowd and what the band does. I would much prefer to go see say Enter Shikari than TDWP. Granted they are both very good bands, however Shikari puts on a much better show because they know how to interact with the crowd and get people psyched. Where as TDWP mainly does some synchronized head banging and calls it a day.

To elaborate further

I would rather pay $50 to see a not so good band put on an absolutely fvcking amazing show. Than to pay $20 to see an Amazing band put on an "ehh" show.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:32:34 PM
And you have to remember this concert (enter shikari) was in a room place where the floor was about the size of my living room, and I have a moderately large living room.

Also Korashk is motha fvcking serious. You know how you can tell? Because korashk is the kind of guy who wouldn't necessarily be going at it in the mosh but also wouldn't be the nathans or the "oh i just got hurt in the mosh i'm going to go up stairs to the balcony and leave even though i'm the hottest chick at the concert" kind of people who stand in the back and basically just listen.

Good show > Good band

...stupid blonde chick
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:39:01 PM
At 10/21/2010 10:32:34 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
And you have to remember this concert (enter shikari) was in a room place where the floor was about the size of my living room, and I have a moderately large living room.

A good band can play in any venue so that doesn't mean sh!t.

Also Korashk is motha fvcking serious. You know how you can tell? Because korashk is the kind of guy who wouldn't necessarily be going at it in the mosh but also wouldn't be the nathans or the "oh i just got hurt in the mosh i'm going to go up stairs to the balcony and leave even though i'm the hottest chick at the concert" kind of people who stand in the back and basically just listen.

Uh, that's great for him...Neither am I. And do you know where the best pits are? Where the best bands are. A band playing well is what pumps up the crowd. If they suck or are playing 'Ehh", who would be excited for THAT? The pit is crazy when the band is.

Good show > Good band

Are you serious?? Look above. If the band is crappy, the show will suck because the audience won't be into it. I'd never be able to mosh to BFMV or another shitty band like that... And even if the lead singer is putting on the effort of his life with the most expensive equipment, he'll still sound like sh!t to me and I wouldn't be remotely interested enough to mosh.

This is just logic, people.

Bad/'Ehh" music = bad audience response = crappy or 'Ehh" show

Good band = pumped audience = good/great show

...stupid blonde chick

Uh, fvck you.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:42:08 PM
At 10/21/2010 10:39:01 PM, annhasle wrote:

That's not logic.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:44:39 PM
At 10/21/2010 10:42:08 PM, Korashk wrote:

That's not logic.

It's logical thought process.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:45:06 PM

A good band can play in any venue so that doesn't mean sh!t.

true

Uh, that's great for him...Neither am I. And do you know where the best pits are? Where the best bands are. A band playing well is what pumps up the crowd. If they suck or are playing 'Ehh", who would be excited for THAT? The pit is crazy when the band is.

Not necessarily. Sleeping with Sirens isn't all that wonderful of a band and yet epic mosh was epic. Same with Haste the day (circle pit ftw). Bands that aren't necessarily all that good (bands that open) can still get the crowd pumped, and crazy.

Good show > Good band

Are you serious?? Look above. If the band is crappy, the show will suck because the audience won't be into it. I'd never be able to mosh to BFMV or another shitty band like that... And even if the lead singer is putting on the effort of his life with the most expensive equipment, he'll still sound like sh!t to me and I wouldn't be remotely interested enough to mosh.

BFMV is a good band imo :/

Yes if the band is like MCR who when they get bottled they just go back stage and cry. But if the band is able to be crazy interactive with the audience and everyone is pumped than it can still be good. IDK about you but I can mosh to pretty much anything, it doesn't have to be good.

...stupid blonde chick

Uh, fvck you.

Agh, sry I should have clarified :( that wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the chick at the concert. You are quite the smart one ann.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:55:54 PM
At 10/21/2010 10:45:06 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

Not necessarily. Sleeping with Sirens isn't all that wonderful of a band and yet epic mosh was epic. Same with Haste the day (circle pit ftw). Bands that aren't necessarily all that good (bands that open) can still get the crowd pumped, and crazy.

The absolute CRAZIEST pits I have been in, are ALWAYS at the most talented band's concerts... When there's a band on stage and they keep missing their cues, screwing up their solos, messing up the lyrics and/or way too fvcked up to play in general, it's harder to get pumped about them. And if they can energize the crowd after they realize they're sucking, than they're lucky. But the 'better' concerts in my mind will be the bands who didn't have to 'try and motivate' the crowd since they screwed up. It'll be the ones that did it "naturally" by playing an awesome set.

Good show > Good band

BFMV is a good band imo :/

Ah, sorry than... My music tends to be a little heavier so it's hard to listen to it... I went to Mayhem Fest where BFMV was on the ticket, and they blew chunks. It was painful. People actually started leaving the stadium and sat down.

Yes if the band is like MCR who when they get bottled they just go back stage and cry. But if the band is able to be crazy interactive with the audience and everyone is pumped than it can still be good. IDK about you but I can mosh to pretty much anything, it doesn't have to be good.

But we're talking about what we'd 'rather' see. Yeah, I can most to about anything since I'm a crazy metalhead like that. But I'd prefer to mosh to a legit band. And I would never see MCR live so I don't know how they act...

For example, I saw Behemoth and then saw Marilyn Manson twenty minutes later. And even though Marilyn Manson had a crazy show and pumped the crowd through his theatrics, the real intensity was at Behemoth's stage. They kicked TOTAL A$$. Amazing rifts, brutal vocals and seamless song changes. They got faster and better as the night went on. And even though their show was 'less' visually, their pit was so much better in result of their MAD SKILLS.

...stupid blonde chick

Uh, fvck you.

Agh, sry I should have clarified :( that wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the chick at the concert. You are quite the smart one ann.

I can't tell if you're sarcastic but thank you?
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 12:18:48 AM
Anyway, tastes in music are subjective.
Shikari is definitely my favorite band now, ADTR being the close second.
And I still think that LGB was the second best band show/music-wise and 99% of the people would disagree with me.
The one person being a fat kid in a pink tie-dye shirt who hasn't figured out the wonders of deoderant yet.
MCR puts on a wonderful show, I dislike their music, but they got me pumped.
Also, pits don't equate good shows.
The band doesn't really rule the pit, it's more in the willingness of the people wanting to be crazy.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 3:25:20 PM
This is good live?

Children of Bodom pwn. Great music + Great performance.

And it says something if CoB can hold a crowd as large as Wacken. They get the crowds pumped, and Alexi is great with crowds. I mean, people moshed for CoB, and not for Shikari :P.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:17:18 AM
At 10/22/2010 3:25:20 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This is good live?

And it says something if CoB can hold a crowd as large as Wacken. They get the crowds pumped, and Alexi is great with crowds. I mean, people moshed for CoB, and not for Shikari :P.

Yeah, that is good live, imo.
Metal is not that good of a genre of music, imo at least.
It doesn't take that much talent.
I mean seriously, my local friend Bishop could be a decent metal guitarist and he's a talentless fck
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 10:50:52 AM
At 10/23/2010 12:17:18 AM, zGodMode wrote:
This is good live?

Yeah, because Shikari have absolutely no metal elements at all, right?

And pressing a few buttons and playing sh*tty chords while screaming does? Bodom are basically doing solos before they even do their solos.

I mean seriously, my local friend Bishop could be a decent metal guitarist and he's a talentless fck

Great logical reasoning thar bro.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 11:27:30 AM
At 10/23/2010 12:17:18 AM, zGodMode wrote:
This is good live?

I'm just going to tell you this right now... To say 'Metal isn't a good genre' after posting a thread about Shikari Sh!t, gives you absolutely no credibility. Shikari TRIED to add metal elements to their music but failed horribly because they suck. They have a sh!tty vocalist, horrible guitar players, pointless techno elements that rape your ears with their painful FAIL, and their lyrics? FAIL.

I wouldn't insult Metal when they're obviously superior to the crap you're listening to.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 10:40:10 PM
Cause music isn't totally subjective to its listeners' tastes.
In my mind, metal is a bad genre. Your reasoning doesn't mean anything, it doesn't matter what you say about Shikari or any other band I like.
IMO.
Metal.
Isn't.
That.
Good.
Music is what you want it to be and if you two get so caught up in someone saying that phrase, you have a lot of issues to sort out.