Jump to topic:

Top 4 Records (that I love and...

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 6:33:07 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
...are important to me and that I want to talk about).

System of a Down - System of a Down

Even now, it's strange to think about, but there was a time in my life where I didn't have even the faintest interest in music, whatsoever. I suppose this might have been the result of having two sisters, in turn, whose interest in the matter extended to only the most mainstream of pop music, coupled with a countless number of requests to "check out this song."

I don't quite remember how I even stumbled upon the band, and their debut and self-titled effort, in the first place, but it's what sparked my interest in music as a whole and the things it could do. Sure, it's loud and screamy, like a lot of their contemporaries in that phase a lot of people go through were they exclusively listen to whiny and self-loathing emo bands. But it's abstract (and downright strange) lyrics coupled with their politically charged themes meant it had young me captivated for the first time, and it still holds a special place in my heart.

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Man, I fvcking hated this, when I first heard it. The hideous vocals, slow melodies, and dumb lyrics (or so I had initially thought), and the fact that I had never really listened to folk before turned me off of it. An unspecified time later, I listened to it again, and I was absolutely blow away. After a couple listens, I realized the vocals actually weren't strange at all (or maybe that was because I listened to it so much).

Newsom is a master at telling stories and using incredibly vivid imagery, and that skill is especially evident here (I honestly think she's the best person who has ever tried to do that: it's effectively a painting defined with just words. I'm even being hyperbolic; it's fvcking amazing, and is raised as her best album for a reason. Although, The Milk-Eyed Mender is a masterpiece all the same, as well.

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

This is the album the reinvigorated (or rather caused) my love for pop music. It's just so strange, and has such incredibly weird time signatures. But somehow, by some fvcking miracle of nature, it sounds amazing. Seriously, David Longstreth is a fvcking genius. I can't really describe how amazing it is, so here, just listen to some of it: https://www.youtube.com...

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

This is, hands down, the best rock album of this century. Yep, I fvcking said it: better than Is This It (The Strokes), better than Funeral (Arcade Fire), better than Elephant (The White Stripes), better than The Glow Pt. 2 (The Microphones).

(Also, I'm tired of writing lengthy descriptions of each record.)

So, even though this probably won't get any replies, what are some albums (or songs) that are important to you, if anyone's reading this, at all?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 2:51:39 AM
Seems like you needed a hand here, so I'll add some activity. Here are my four (in no particular order):

The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground and Nico

This was one of the first albums I really appreciated. It took a few listens for me to appreciate every song on the album, but when I did, it was very rewarding. The songs span the full range of human emotion, from the beauty of Sunday Morning, to the ecstatic dream-like Heroin, to the chaotic European Son. Largely groundbreaking in its genre and hugely influential to a plethora of musicians afterwards, it more than deserves the accolades it has received.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd

I'm a huge fan of 60's psychedelic rock, but this album is the best iteration of that trend. It's mix of dreamy, childlike songs to heavy, spacey psychedelia make this album stand out above all the rest, and it a perfect exemplification of British psychedelic rock.

Relayer - Yes

Never a dull moment on this album. There are several Yes albums that I love, but the music on this one is the best. From the eclectic chaos that is Sound Chaser to the dreamy To Be Over, and, of course, the magnum opus of the album, Gates of Delirium, spanning both of these moods itself, the musical skill Yes presents is of top quality.

Red - King Crimson

It was tough choosing a favorite King Crimson album, but this one is probably my favorite. It is a relentless barrage of darkness. There are no bright spots on the album. And the closing track, Starless, is one of the best songs ever composed. The buildup is phenomenal.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 4:29:49 AM
At 2/6/2016 2:51:39 AM, Subutai wrote:
Seems like you needed a hand here, so I'll add some activity. Here are my four (in no particular order):
I could fvcking kiss you.

This was one of the first albums I really appreciated. It took a few listens for me to appreciate every song on the album, but when I did, it was very rewarding. The songs span the full range of human emotion, from the beauty of Sunday Morning, to the ecstatic dream-like Heroin, to the chaotic European Son. Largely groundbreaking in its genre and hugely influential to a plethora of musicians afterwards, it more than deserves the accolades it has received.
This and Daydream Nation been on my backlog for the longest time, it's actually gotten ridiculous. Got any recs for the mindset to go into it with?

I'm a huge fan of 60's psychedelic rock, but this album is the best iteration of that trend. It's mix of dreamy, childlike songs to heavy, spacey psychedelia make this album stand out above all the rest, and it a perfect exemplification of British psychedelic rock.

Relayer - Yes

Never a dull moment on this album. There are several Yes albums that I love, but the music on this one is the best. From the eclectic chaos that is Sound Chaser to the dreamy To Be Over, and, of course, the magnum opus of the album, Gates of Delirium, spanning both of these moods itself, the musical skill Yes presents is of top quality.
Suggested place to start with their (Yes) discography?

Red - King Crimson

It was tough choosing a favorite King Crimson album, but this one is probably my favorite. It is a relentless barrage of darkness. There are no bright spots on the album. And the closing track, Starless, is one of the best songs ever composed. The buildup is phenomenal.
This is interesting. Usually,I see Larks' Tongues in Aspic as their favorite/KC's best.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 3:26:33 AM
At 2/6/2016 4:29:49 AM, Torton wrote:
At 2/6/2016 2:51:39 AM, Subutai wrote:
I could fvcking kiss you.

This and Daydream Nation been on my backlog for the longest time, it's actually gotten ridiculous. Got any recs for the mindset to go into it with?

I actually went into this blind. In other words, I listened to it out of shear curiousity without a prebuilt "mindset", which may explain why it took me a few listens to fully appreciate. Nevertheless, the Velvet Underground's last two albums are less experimental than their first two (the mentioned album being the first), so you may want to start there if you want a prebuilt "mindset".

Relayer - Yes

Suggested place to start with their (Yes) discography?

Fragile. It's a lot of people's favorite Yes album, and is more accessible than some of their albums that came immediately after it (like the mentioned album). The Yes Album is also pretty accessible.
Red - King Crimson

This is interesting. Usually,I see Larks' Tongues in Aspic as their favorite/KC's best.

KC's big three are In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, and Red. Actually, I'd say the former is more people's favorite, as it basically marks the birth if progressive rock as a genre, and is a perfect exemplification of it. But then again, so is LTA.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.