Jump to topic:

The Making of DDO: The Movie

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 5:36:30 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
DDO: The Movie (Shown here http://www.debate.org... ) was one of the craziest, funnest, infuriating, complicated things I ever worked on in life period, let alone something made just for DDO. I didnt get to really explain in the thread what heaven and hell me, and to an extent Airmax, went through to put this together, so im going to do that here since, why not?

Y'all are welcome to ask questions if you want, im just doing this because I felt the need to explain what happened behind the scenes. Also bordom. Im very bored.

1) The inspiration + assemblage for the movie

The inspiration for DDO: The Movie had its roots in the trollfest that was The Weekly Stupid: The Movie, which was a gigantic troll effort by me and Airmax done as a prank on the rest of DDO. Airmax approached me with the idea of a fake clip as a fun project that would be only a few minutes long, and I was on board with it immediately since i cant refuse a trolling opportunity, and what started out as an idea took hold and ballooned into a 1 and a half hour troll fest where 2 and a half minutes of actual footage was then attached to an hour and 20+ minutes of end credits. The infamy of the movie though was done mostly by Airmax just associating himself with the project.

Airmax, by just attaching his name to the project, garnered tremendous interest in the project just because his name on here is 'untainted' with trolling, which was f*cking fantastic because if I had announced the movie, not nearly as many people would have given a sh*t since im a notorious troll to begin with. Airmax attaching his name to the project though immediately doubled or even tripled the amount of interest in the movie, to the point that even I was surprised by how excited people were for it. A movie had ever even been attempted on DDO before, let alone one that was of substantial length as an hour and a half, and for Airmax to hype it up and endorse it right out of the gate, despite it being a gigantic troll effort, proved to be the seed for DDO: The Movie since the trolling that was The Weekly Stupid: The Movie showed just how much excitement and demand there was for a movie project endorsed by Airmax. I never would have even thought about making the movie if I didnt think that there would be weak demand and interest in it, but the Weekly Stupid movie with Airmax revealed that there was. And that got the ball rolling.

The movie itself though was still in its infancy and had a long way to go. My first idea for the movie would actually be to take one movie completely and then translate it differently, rather than take a bunch of scenes from several movies and string them together. I wanted to use one movie because 1) It would make things easier, and 2) It gives me a plot to work with right off the bat..... I pitched the idea to airmax and he was immediately hesitant to the idea since it would be pure copy-right infringement if attempted, and also infringement that tied directly to DDO itself since the movie would be prominently featured on DDO and was about events within DDO itself..... The two movies I wanted to use whole were the Disney Movie Robin Hood and Mulan, which being products of Disney would make them extremely hard to sneak [ast copyright filters on youtube.

The solution/change came based once again on previous trolling work I did on this site. Some remeber the 'Ima reacts to Airmax's re-election' video I did where I 'react' to news of Airmax being re-elected president.... The scene was taken from the foreign film 'Downfall' and just subtitled over it to make it look like the characters within it were saying things different than what the audio actually translates to. Airmax I think was the one who recommended using scenes from several movies together since just using a scene from a movie wont be as likely to be flagged for copyright infringement, pointing to the 'Downfall' video I made before as evidence. If you take a scene from a movie and use it, its less likely to get flagged/banned for copyright infringement than taking an entire movie like I first planned to do.

So while Airmax played a minor role in overall design/filming/plotting the movie, he proved indispensable and incredibly valuable in hatching an idea for how the movie would be put together and assembled by showing 1) The huge demand and excitement on DDO for there to be a movie, and 2) How a movie could be put together and avoid copyright issues.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 5:47:27 PM
2) Shift from using American movies in Spanish form to Foreign made films

From the outset of making the movie, I planned on the movie being composed entirely of movies made in the US that also have Spanish audio for the films with them. I did this because I believed that if I used movies people likely have seen in the past, it could give them a sense of familiarity with the movie and an idea of what was going on compared to foreign films no one had likely seen..... The first few scenes of the movie came from movies made by US companies: Mulan, Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained, etc. that a lot of people on the site have probably seen at some point, with a few maybe having seen all three of them.

I quickly found out that there arent that many US films with Spanish audio versions along with them on netflix, which is where I was getting the material from, which caused there to be almost an immediate snag in production. I couldnt look to youtube for scenes from American movies with Spanish Audio because while im sure there are loads of them out there, I wasnt looking for very specific scenes to include in the movie. Early on I was just winging it in terms of hammering out a plot for the movie, so I looked for scenes that I felt would fit in with the movie and still give me wriggle room for making the plot of the movie develop as it progressed. Looking for specific scenes on Youtube, assuming they could even be found in the first place, also most of the time tended to be shot in low quality that you would expect from Youtube that contrasts with the high quality of video shown on Netflix, so that also was an issue.

Switching to foreign films though made making the movie much easier, since now I could browse entire movies with foreign audio and only pick scenes I wanted for the movie as I came across them, rather than go out and look for very specific scenes. A lot of the movies from European countries focus on love and philosophy and sh** like that, which didnt fit in with what I wanted to do with my movie that would heavily feature war and killing, so European films were almost out of the question. I saw almost because there were some WWII European films that I ended up using since making the spambots look like Nazi's amde it easier for me to portray them in the movie as being the bad guy/evil.... Asian movies, namely Chinese films and Korean films, are far more centered around action and war than European films, so that became my gold-mine for footage for the movie after I exhausted my supply of American films that had Spanish Audio with them.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 6:08:50 PM
3) Constant shifting of the plot

The plot of the movie was originally designed to be far simpler than it turned out to be. I wanted it to be Spambots invade DDO, DDO plans to fight back, DDO does fight back, victory, with a few shots of DDO characters thrown in here and there to basically give them a shoutout. The movie was essentially supposed to be 50% fight scenes because I was all-in on making it an action movie. That changed though when I began to exhaust the supply of big battle scenes in movies I had at my disposal, where within the first 5 or 6 scenes of the movie almost all of them featured some type of fighting or warfare.

This shortage of fight scenes made me have to steer the film more towards what was happening with characters 'behind the scenes' of the war, which turned out to be a blessing. By steering the film away from people mindlessly fighting each other to a film that was more of a mystery/spy film focused on actual characters, it in hindsight made the movie turn out much better than it otherwise would have been since now the characters I was giving shoutouts to on DDO were now more than just cameo roles, and were important characters that had depth to them. By focusing on the characters and their actions, that also helped me steer the plot of the movie in a more exciting/desirable fashion, away from just scene after scene of big battles being fought between DDO and the Spambots to a movie that actually had plot twists and interesting characters.

The limitation of scenes themselves also had me have to re-evaluate the plotline of the movie as it was being made, at least 3 times as well. One of the earliest drafts of the movie was meant to show Mikal, a spy, being the one actually trying to bring DDO down as some sort of mad-genius betrayal. The scene showing him killing another operative after it was suggested he defected to the enemy ended up not making it through the filters of youtube, meaning I had to make the plot revolve around something else.

After that the plan was for Larz and Edeb8 to enter the picture and team up with the Spambots, defeating Juggle in battle and turn the movie into a three-way war between DDO and the Spambots + Edeb8. The scene though got flagged and couldnt be used though, so I had to change the plot again. In hindsight I think that that was for the best though because by eliminating Juggle and introducing a new Supervillain, it greatly reduced the creativity I had to have DDO forces overcome these odds and triumph in the end. BY having this scene removed, I had to keep the fight mostly between DDO and the Spambots, with the DDO Elite making an entrance later in the film, rather than introduce a new faction to the war at a time when I was already running short and big battle scenes. At one point I wanted DDO, the Spambots, Edeb8, and the DDO Elite all fighting each other, but the shortage of scenes made me have to steer away from that plotline, which in the end kept it single and balanced in terms of actual fight scenes with character development, strengthening the movie itself.

Speaking of the Elite, one of the final major plot alterations to the film was to have Maikuru, with the help of Ajab, sneak into the homelands of the DDO Elite in order to help them team up with DDO to defeat the spambots. The scene though was flagged though and had to be cut from the movie, once again having me have to invent a different route for the movie to progress.....

2 of these 3 deleted scenes also came from US Netflix shows (House of Cards, Marco Polo) that were dubbed in spanish, and that actually taught me very quick that it was easier to take scenes from movies themselves rather than tv or internet shows that have episodes, since scenes from tv shows are far, FAR more likely to get flagged by youtube for some reason. The only part of the movie taken from TV shows were the Star Wars scenes that I got from Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which was owned by Netflix before Disney bought the rights to Star Wars and made their own show 'Star Wars Rebels'.

The main point though is that the plot of the movie was far more defined by scenes I either couldnt find or scenes I couldnt get past youtube's upload filters, rather than actual pre-planning of what was going to happen in the movie before I started filming scenes and putting it together.

One of the things that did stay in each version of the movie no matter how many re-writes I had to do was the nuking of the Religion forum. That was something I planned from the beginning to include in the movie that stayed in the movie at the end (Spoiler alert). Everything else in the movie other then that, along with the intro Mulan scene showing the Spambots invading, was something made completely from scratch that I simply had to make up as I went along.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 6:21:01 PM
How many "#)_______"s are there?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 6:27:26 PM
At 3/7/2016 6:21:01 PM, Vaarka wrote:
How many "#)_______"s are there?

No idea tbh.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 6:28:00 PM
4) Airmax's role after production began

While Airmax played a critically important role in hatching the idea for a legit DDO Movie, I took over after that when it came to actually getting scenes and fitting them together like a puzzle. Airmax occasionally through out a recommendation for a scene he thought should be included in the movie or critiqued parts of clips I had produced for the movie, but the actual production of the movie itself was 99% my territory since video production was the skill set I brought to the table. It 100% was Airmax's idea though to have a 'warning' at the very start of the movie which I thought was brilliant in addition to necessary, but everything else after that from the opening credits to the post-credits scene was almost entirely my creation.....

Airmax's main role after pitching the idea for how the movie would be made was to review the clips for the movie as I produced them. How it worked was that i would either pitch him an idea for what the next scene in a movie would be and how it will fit in with the idea of the movie, or that I would go ahead and just film the clip itself and then upon completion present it to Airmax for him to view himself..... Airmax gave me the greenlight on just about everything I pitched to him, the only time he had concerns about what i came up with was when I gave him a scene where I mercilessly shat on Juggle. Other then those times, Airmax from what I remember always loved the scenes I was pitching or presenting to him for the movie. I cant think of a single instance of a clip I made for the movie that he explicitly said 'no' to or barred it from being in the movie.

Presenting the scenes I envisioned/produced to Airmax for review actually was what kept me motivated for putting the movie together as the process dragged on and on for months, even if I was sure beforehand that he would approve the scenes. Had I done this entirely on my own, I would have sooner or later began to question whether I should keep pushing forwards or if it was worth it to make the movie in the first place. But by presenting everything I produced to Airmax on an almost weekly basis with the likelihood of receiving praise and approval for what i made, even if modest, pushed me to keep going through with the movie.....

So while I did 99% of the filming, producing, and editing of the scenes themselves, Airmax proved to be invaluable during actual production of the movie just by having me be able to present what progress I made on a weekly basis, which kept me motivated to keep making the movie as it progressed.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 6:47:08 PM
5) Deleted Scenes vs Lost Scenes

Most people who have seen the movie know that there are 3 or 4 scenes that were cut from the movie that ended up on youtube, but I dont think anybody knows about the OTHER deleted scenes, the ones that were 'lost', that couldnt even get past youtube's filters by themselves, meaning they were scenes that literally only I was ever able to see.

There were only 2 'Lost' scenes that didnt make it into the movie or make it onto youtube as a standalone scene. One of them featured Airmax as a mexican drug lord where he shakes down his advisors to defeat the spambots and solicit help from the DDO Elite or else he would kill them..... I wanted this scene pretty bad because to portray Airmax as a drug lord running rough-shot over DDO like a kingpin stands in such contrast to how Airmax actually handles affairs on the site that I thought it was gold. Airmax even liked the idea himself, and thought that the shift from how Airmax was portrayed at the beginning of the movie (Wise old Chinese man with wisdom and reservation) to one of him being a druglord would be hilarious. Unfortunately I couldnt get the scene uploaded onto youtube, and no one was able to see how much of a bastard that Airmax could be ;D

The other lost scene though was way, way more important. I wanted this scene BAD, I wanted it in the movie really REALLY bad, but couldnt get it through no matter how much I tried. The scene was a heist scene that, if approved, would have shown just how deadly the Spambot Separatists were and how much hell they were raising in the Spambot homeland. One of the biggest plot points in the movie was that a Spambot separatist uprising forced spambot forces to return home to deal with it since reserve forces couldnt, and I wanted really badly to show just how good these separatists were in raising hell that would trigger a full-scale retreat.

The scene was that 5 or 6 heavily armed Separatists hijack a security truck to gain computer data being transported inside. The separatists use a crane to hoist the truck right off from the highway and drop it onto a public road nearby, where Separatist soldiers swoop in to collect the prize. Spambot police forces show up, and a massive, and i mean MASSIVE, gunfight erupts, with people getting shot and killed all over the place. It was glorious, and I tried to include it into the movie but couldnt do it. Youtube actually will tell you which parts of a scene trigger a copyright warning if it is uploaded and banned, so I tried trimming down the scene to eliminate the copywritten parts to include the rest of the scene in the movie. I tried this 5 or 6 times and each time something else would get copywritten, to the point that I had to give up including the scene in the movie.

I was p*ssed because it was such a fantastic scene. There wasnt any other scene I could find showing a bunch of bad guys triumph over cops in a high stakes shootout. Almost all foreign films from China or Korea feature a cop leading other cops to defeat the bad guys, or feature guys in a heist that are the actual good guys and police just accidentally trying to thwart their good intentions...... To get a scene from a movie showing genuine bad guys beat genuine good guys in a gunfight where the bad guys all get away was incredibly rare, and to not be able to use it in the movie was a gigantic blow in filming the movie that almost pushed me to give up. It was such a beautiful and perfect scene that I would have done or paid anything (within reason) to have it be in the movie. The only thing I could think of that would be even be close to describing how great this scene was is 'The Departed', which is quite ironic because 'The Departed' is inspired by the Korean movie 'Infernal Affairs' that I also tried to use for the movie

https://en.wikipedia.org...

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:01:27 PM
6) Subtitles and how infuriating they are

The single-most infuriating thing I had to deal with when making this movie wasnt running out of scenes to do what I originally wanted or scenes not making it past youtube filters, it was actually going out and typing in the words/subtitles the characters were saying in the clips. It seems like it would be a very easy thing to do, but take my word for it that it was infuriating.

Im a grammar nazi and a perfectionist to a degree, and early on I didn't care at all about how the subtitles looked and how they were timed. I was far more concerned about hammering out the plot and getting scenes past youtube filters. When all that was done though I went back to see the movie put together and the subtitles were all over the place. Some were bigger sizes than others were, some werent lined up in the place where they were supposed to be, there were grammar mistakes and misspellings as well... It looked trashy to be honest, and I couldnt stand to let them be and release the movie with the imperfections in there...... There were also times where just the way I recorded the movie made it so that black bars would appear at the very top and bottom of the clip, meaning that after I had already put in the subtitles and tried to cut out the black bars, it would inadvertantly make the subtitles look bigger than the subtitles in the rest of the movie........ I found myself having to reshoot entire scenes 5 or 6 times over to correct for subtitle mistakes I made in previous attempts, was was f*ckin maddening.....

The excitement you get for putting together a new scene is completely lost compared to re-editing old scenes over and over again where the dialogue stays entirely the same yet youre burning 30 minutes to an hour to fix one spelling mistake...... When I film the scenes, I wasnt able to keep the original scenes around because of memory issues on my Mac, meaning that after I filmed the scenes and uploaded them onto Youtube, the original 'clean' scenes I used for the scenes in the movie were disposed of and deleted to save space on my computer so that I could actually put together the finished scenes into a movie...... So whenever I found a spelling or subtitle mistake that I couldn't ignore, I would have to re-film the chunk of the scene I needed and then re-insert the clip into the scene and fix the subtitles accordingly. The entire first half of the movie was where most of the subtitle mistakes were made, so while in the end we ended up with an hour and a half movie, the reality is that I filmed about 3 hours worth of movie just to get it right.

Fixing subtitle mistakes was the most boring thing in the entire process of the movie. There was no way to express creativity, it was very laborious and time consuming, there isnt much joy you get out of fixing a spelling or subtitling mistake either, and the only thing worse than fixing it for me was trying to ignore it and act like it didnt matter, because to me it did...... Fixing the subtitles almost killed my motivation to make the movie, but the fact that I was almost done with the movie before noticing all the subtitle mistakes I had made in previous scenes was what pushed me to keep fighting to the finish line. By the final few scenes I had wised up to the idea of being very careful about inserting subtitles so that I wouldn't have to go back and redo it all from scratch, but that lesson was a very hard-learned one.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:20:23 PM
7) Hyping up the movie

After the trollfest that was the Weekly Stupid: The Movie, it became a little bit harder to get people hyped up for DDO: The Movie since many people assumed it was another gigantic trolling attempt by Airmax and I. When the project was announced and mentioned that this would be a legit movie, I think half the people who read the thread immediately believed it was another trolling attempt, even though Airmax and I were very serious about what was being announced..... The movie itself once completed was also the single biggest contribution to DDO in terms of content as well, so there was plenty of reason to try to hype up the movie as much as we could to get people to watch it.

The first thing that was done to hype up the movie was also what was done to hype up The Weekly Stupid: The Movie, trailers. I had made trailers in the past to hype things up on DDO, one of which was for The Weekly Stupid itself. I also tried to make trailers for debates and fanfictions as part of a business venture that proved fruitless, but the point is that I knew trailers could be used to hype up a movie. So I made 2, one of which was revealed by Airmax and the other by me, in an attempt to get people to think that this movie really was going to be a movie and not another trollfest.

That stirred up hype pretty well, but we kept using other ways to hype up the movie as well..... I included some deleted scenes and trailers in 'Church of NAC' threads, which was part of a troll religion I started just for sh*ts and giggles, as part of a way to stir up hype for the movie by showing actual scenes from the movie to convince people that this was a real project that was really being made. That convinced people who were featured in the actual scenes that the movie was probably real, but other people were still not convinced.... By the time the movie itself was released there were people refusing to believe it was legit, but we still hyped up the movie like crazy.

Another thing we did, which I think I recommended but may have been Airmax's idea, was to give previews of the movie to users on DDO and have them review the film. Nobody took me seriously since Im a giant troll, and Airmax had already trolled DDO with a fake movie claim that people were still wary of, so we decided to utilize people whose reputations were respectable to advertise the movie for us. I think the 3 that were picked was TBR (My choice), Raisor (Airmax's choice), and Bsh1 (Both of our choices).... By having these three respected members make threads where they reviewed the film, I think that helped sway a few cautious members to believe that the movie was legit, since these 3 were going out of their way to hype up a movie that they wouldnt have done had it been just a giant troll effort. The reviews themselves also ended up in a trailer which only further brought people over to the idea that the movie was legit.

The last thing we did to hype up the movie was making the multiaccount: 'Imabench+Airmax'..... One of the things me and Airmax disagreed over was who would post the movie. The movie was overwhelmingly a product of my creation and im egotistical so I wanted to release it, but if Airmax released it, it would give the movie legitimacy as a product for DDO and entice people to give it a look since his name was associated with it...... We ended up compromising on making a multiaccount with both of our names in it and then releasing the movie under that account, that way we could both claim credit for the movie while at the same time stir up even more interest in it since now a clear multi-account by Airmax and me was releasing the movie, which isnt something Airmax would have allowed to be done if it were a giant trolling effort.....

In the end I think the efforts to hype up the movie preceding its release was a success since if we had just outright released the movie the minute it was all finished, it would have come as a surprise to people and some would have completely missed it if they left DDO for 3 days or so..... By stretching out the hype period over weeks and getting the word out though, a lot more people likely ended up seeing the movie than they otherwise would have, and Airmax played a giant role in hyping up the movie that I wouldnt have been able to accomplish myself.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 4:00:20 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
8) Actually making/filming scenes for the movie

Actually making and filming the scenes for the movie itself once I found the scenes I wanted to use was a relatively easy process, even when youre doing it on a Mac. I got almost all of my material off of Netflix (which has a ton of Chinese and Korean foreign films), and using quicktime player I could simply screen-capture videos on my computer screen while watching the clip I wanted, and also record the audio to go along with the scene at the same time. This worked out nearly flawlessly, but I found out about halfway through shooting the movie that running screen-capture for a clip and recording the audio at the same time can overwhelm a computer's performance and cause it to act pretty sluggish, decreasing the visual quality of the scene being recorded as well as the audio being captured along with it.

The simple solution was to record both of them separately. Id screen-capture just the scene the first time around, and then after I finished recording, Id replay the same scene again and then capture the audio the second time around. This minorly reduced the strain on my computer, but it greatly increased the visual quality of the clips as well as the audio quality of the sound that went with it, which I admit was already iffy to begin with.... I didnt have any kind of high quality microphone or high quality speakers I could run the audio through first before recording it (I wasnt gonna shelling out cash just to make this movie) so I had to make due with what I had. I literally just played the volume of the clip at full blast and then recorded it for the movie using quicktime, which Im aware gives it a hell of an artificial and grainy quality to it, but it sounded even worse when I tried to record the sound at the same time as I recorded the scene.

In editing I did have to go back to some earlier scenes I had made before I had noticed how to increase the quality of the scenes and refilm everything just to bring the quality up to par with the rest of the movie, which again was a pain in the a**. Like I said before with adjusting subtitles, having to go back and reshoot the same scenes time and time again completely drained my motivation to make this movie, and only the fact that I had gotten so far in making the movie in the first place to the point that I was very close to the finish line is all that got me through it.

I also ran into issues in how to record the clips themselves.... When you record off of your screen with quicktime, it allows you to either screenshot your entire computer, or just the part of your computer you want to record. Since I was filming all of this off of Netflix, I naturally chose the latter of the option since it allowed me to just film the part of my screen featuring the movie that I wouldnt have to figure out how to crop out of the clip later in editing. The problem I ran into though is that if the 'box' you are recording the scene through is too wide, then in moviemaker where I put all the clips together, these black bars appear at the top and bottom of the clip as it plays, which doesnt match up with the rest of the scenes that are full screen...... I once again had to go back and re-film certain scenes where this happened and hadnt been corrected, which again made the post-editing part of making this movie the biggest pain in my a** to deal with..... I went through more hell editing the movie after already shooting scenes than I did trying to find scenes in the first place and getting them past youtube's filters.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 4:34:24 PM
9) Agent 11 and a potential sequel

It was suggested by Airmax I think that I throw in some sort of post-credits scene as sequel bait just to tease people who watch the movie, yet I was already thinking about including a post credits scene from the beginning of making the movie, just without knowing what it would be about...... The second half of the movie I had devoted to closing off plot-holes and bringing closure to all the moving pieces inserted in the movie in the first half, but one of the things I didnt get around to by the time the movie ended that I really, REALLY wanted to shine a light on was the identity of Agent 11, who proved to be a critical part of the movie by bringing to light the outbreak of the Spambot Separatist uprising, and also by poisoning Airmax on the orders of Innomen.... I wanted to reveal myself as being Agent 11, but I painted myself into a corner by prominently featuring my name as a character in the movies in the trailers I released for it, meaning that nobody would be surprised if Agent 11 turned out to be me.... Other needs for shady characters doing dirty work for those in charge also were roles I was perfect for, meaning that I also couldnt have been Agent 11 because other roles would have been a better fit for me.

Since I couldnt be Agent 11 like I thought about doing, I made it someone else who previously wasnt mentioned as being involved in the movie just to keep it a secret and make it that much more of a surprise when his identity was finally revealed..... The question though became how is it that I reveal Agent 11's identity without basically having a DDO member say 'I am Agent 11', which to me was the lazy way out and just closing another plot-hole. Airmax also had requested a post-credits scene to be sequel-bait, so I decided to find some clip of a spy shooting someone in an action thriller and then making a threatening phone call to an enemy he was seeking, a scene that Korean movies are almost built around....

In the post credits scene after thwarting an assassination attempt, Agent 11 picks up a cellphone belonging to the assassin and says to the assassins boss "I know you are one of the Sinister 6'... The scene then shows 1 of the 'Sinister 6', but it doesnt reveal that persons name, doesnt name any of the other members of the 'Sinister 6', and doesnt even suggest what it is the 'Sinister 6' intends to do, although assassinating PetersSmith points the finger at covert warfare. A sequel would be centered around Agent 11 as he goes around trying to discover the rest of the Sinister 6 and stop them from doing whatever they intend...... It would be like DDO: The Movie in terms of being an Action-Thriller type of movie, but rather than a movie featuring armies clashing with each other it would be more like a spy movie along the lines of a James Bond type of film. A potential sequel would also feature substantially less members featured as characters in the film since a lot of prominent members I introduced in the first movie were later killed off, and it would also be much more character oriented since unlike DDO: The Movie, a sequel to it would follow almost one person's story entirely, rather than jump back and forth between different characters like DDO: The Movie did.

If I did do a sequel, I would probably title it "DDO: The Movie: The Sequel" just so that when I made trailers for the movie I could title those as "DDO: The Movie: The Sequel: The Trailer"..... Because im a troll at heart still ;)

I have thought about making a sequel just because the first one was such a hit, but the main things stopping me from doing a sequel are:

1) The amount of free time I would need to produce the movie on a timely basis (Im not going to be in school forever and will soon be working 9-5 like most other people, meaning if I did start making it I cant guarantee I would have time to work on it)

2) Concerns that I wont be able to get enough movie material to work with to put the movie together (I went through over 2 dozen movies just for DDO: The Movie itself, so a sequel would require just as many)

3) The hell that is post-editing which completely sucks the life out of you when making a movie

And 4) Being able to keep characters as looking the same.

^ That last one is the biggest one because as you saw in DDO: The Movie, some characters at the beginning of the movie looked way different than they did later on in the movie (Airmax, TUF, and Ore_Ele the most prominent examples of this). Because I'm taking scenes from different movies and putting them together, characters dont always look the way they did earlier in the movie. If I did a sequel that would have to focus around Agent 11, his identity would be changing all the time due to the nature of how I can put a movie together in the first place. I was able to get away with it in the first movie just because I introduced so many characters on a regular basis that nobody seemed to notice or care if one of them looked different later on, but I wouldnt have that luxury for a sequel revolving around Agent 11's quest to defeat the Sinister 6.

So while a lot of people would highly enjoy a sequel considering how stellar the first one turned out to be, the things I would need to put together a sequel might not even exist and the time and hell I would consume to make the sequel is very intimidating as well. At this moment im 95% sure a sequel wont be made (100% it wont be anytime soon), but if the stars align and I get the chance to put out another movie, I just might do it judging from how amazing the first one turned out to be.

CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 12:20:04 PM
At 3/7/2016 5:36:30 PM, imabench wrote:
DDO: The Movie (Shown here http://www.debate.org... ) was one of the craziest, funnest, infuriating, complicated things I ever worked on in life period, let alone something made just for DDO. I didnt get to really explain in the thread what heaven and hell me, and to an extent Airmax, went through to put this together, so im going to do that here since, why not?

Y'all are welcome to ask questions if you want, im just doing this because I felt the need to explain what happened behind the scenes. Also bordom. Im very bored.

1) The inspiration + assemblage for the movie

The inspiration for DDO: The Movie had its roots in the trollfest that was The Weekly Stupid: The Movie, which was a gigantic troll effort by me and Airmax done as a prank on the rest of DDO. Airmax approached me with the idea of a fake clip as a fun project that would be only a few minutes long, and I was on board with it immediately since i cant refuse a trolling opportunity, and what started out as an idea took hold and ballooned into a 1 and a half hour troll fest where 2 and a half minutes of actual footage was then attached to an hour and 20+ minutes of end credits. The infamy of the movie though was done mostly by Airmax just associating himself with the project.

Airmax, by just attaching his name to the project, garnered tremendous interest in the project just because his name on here is 'untainted' with trolling, which was f*cking fantastic because if I had announced the movie, not nearly as many people would have given a sh*t since im a notorious troll to begin with. Airmax attaching his name to the project though immediately doubled or even tripled the amount of interest in the movie, to the point that even I was surprised by how excited people were for it. A movie had ever even been attempted on DDO before, let alone one that was of substantial length as an hour and a half, and for Airmax to hype it up and endorse it right out of the gate, despite it being a gigantic troll effort, proved to be the seed for DDO: The Movie since the trolling that was The Weekly Stupid: The Movie showed just how much excitement and demand there was for a movie project endorsed by Airmax. I never would have even thought about making the movie if I didnt think that there would be weak demand and interest in it, but the Weekly Stupid movie with Airmax revealed that there was. And that got the ball rolling.

The movie itself though was still in its infancy and had a long way to go. My first idea for the movie would actually be to take one movie completely and then translate it differently, rather than take a bunch of scenes from several movies and string them together. I wanted to use one movie because 1) It would make things easier, and 2) It gives me a plot to work with right off the bat..... I pitched the idea to airmax and he was immediately hesitant to the idea since it would be pure copy-right infringement if attempted, and also infringement that tied directly to DDO itself since the movie would be prominently featured on DDO and was about events within DDO itself..... The two movies I wanted to use whole were the Disney Movie Robin Hood and Mulan, which being products of Disney would make them extremely hard to sneak [ast copyright filters on youtube.

The solution/change came based once again on previous trolling work I did on this site. Some remeber the 'Ima reacts to Airmax's re-election' video I did where I 'react' to news of Airmax being re-elected president.... The scene was taken from the foreign film 'Downfall' and just subtitled over it to make it look like the characters within it were saying things different than what the audio actually translates to. Airmax I think was the one who recommended using scenes from several movies together since just using a scene from a movie wont be as likely to be flagged for copyright infringement, pointing to the 'Downfall' video I made before as evidence. If you take a scene from a movie and use it, its less likely to get flagged/banned for copyright infringement than taking an entire movie like I first planned to do.

So while Airmax played a minor role in overall design/filming/plotting the movie, he proved indispensable and incredibly valuable in hatching an idea for how the movie would be put together and assembled by showing 1) The huge demand and excitement on DDO for there to be a movie, and 2) How a movie could be put together and avoid copyright issues.

The movie should be in sticky posted, and the movie never failed me to laugh :D
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:56:18 PM
At 3/19/2016 12:20:04 PM, CodingSource wrote:

The movie should be in sticky posted, and the movie never failed me to laugh :D

I actually was lobbying Airmax to do exactly that for a while, and it finally panned out in the personal forum! :D

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:03:43 PM
10) Frequently Introducing and then killing off/getting rid of characters

One of the things I wanted to avoid doing with the movie is introduce too many characters into the film and then have to focus on killing them off or getting rid of them somehow as the film progressed. When I wrote the fanfiction DDO: The Walking Dead, I quickly lost control over the direction of the series because I was so focused on writing everyone into the series who signed up to be in it, rather than be able to work on a more coherent/sensible plot. With a movie, there was naturally a lot of demand by people to be included in the movie (among those who believed this wasnt a giant troll effort), and I was already obligated to include many major DDO members in the movie who didnt even intend to lobby me to include them. A movie about DDO wouldnt be a real movie about DDO if it left out several major members from the movie, and so one of the challenges of making this movie was trying to give people what they wanted (cameos) while also steering the movie in a way that makes it actually have a plot.

The easiest way to do this at first was actually to film battles of the DDO side losing, and badly, in order to imply that certain characters will killed off without actually having to dedicate a minute or more of the movie to showing them dying.... I did this with several battle scenes but I also distinctly remember killing off one character by having another character say that that person was killed off...... When Mikal I think gets shot and booted off a cliff (spoiler alert) he mentions before hand how his other spy friend was already killed by the spambots, closing a plot loophole while not detracting from the direction of the movie......

Another tricker way of getting rid of characters was to simply steer the plot away from them, giving the audience something else to focus on rather than wonder what happened to random characters that showed up before. The Django Unchained scene where I think it was YamaVonKarma and another guy turn the tables on marauding spambots, they never ended up in the movie again because the main march/campaign of the spambots headed north, away from the forum that Yama and his friend made their heroic stand, effectively writing them out of the remainder of the movie.

I tried to avoid doing either of those as much as possible for those I considered to be 'main' characters, who were people who play such a large role on DDO that you have to give them the spotlight when they die or bow out of the movie. All of these factors made me have to carefully handle who I introduce into the movie and what role they have in it, otherwise the movie would turn into mayhem as I try to control all the characters I just shoved into the movie in the first place. I actually made a shortlist of all the main characters who I considered 'high priority', which were characters that were the most likely to show up in the movie again later on. The Top 3 were Airmax, Innomen, and Ore_Ele, and then there were like 5 second tier characters below that. I tried to steer the plot around the top 3 as much as possible, and then build the interactions of other characters around the main 3. If it became necessary to kill off a tier-2 major character, then that was done only when it was a pivotal part of the plot centered around the top tier characters.

It was basically the same strategy a person planning for a house fire uses, where they decide which few items they try to save from their house above anything else.

Of course sometimes I just introduced characters for humor purposes, like Hect or DoggyBag, who were members that people actually detested when they were on the site that when they are left out of the rest of the movie, its comes as a relief to the audience..... I only ever did this though when the progression of the plot of the movie allowed for it, so I seized on the chance whenever I could when it didnt require the plot of the movie changing course to accommodate for the scene..... 2 birds, 1 stone, you get the idea.

The lessons I learned from writing out episodic fanfictions for the site though really proved a valuable lesson for me regarding this, because I would have gone nuts introducing every person I could think of, and then finding out some way to handle all of them while still producing a solid movie. DDO: The Movie may have had a lot of its inspiration from The Weekly Stupid: The Movie, but there were also valuable lessons I learned from DDO: The Walking Dead that served to me as a guide for how NOT to make a movie.