Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Thoughts on Batman v. Superman (Spoilers)

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 11:01:46 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
First off, the prologue was completely unnecessary (I'm talking about his parents being gunned down, not his reaction to Superman's destruction from Man of Steel). Just as we've seen Spiderman's origin story time and time again, we've also seen Batman's. At this point, everyone knows his origin story. And the slow-mo wankery actually made it worse. It felt like the scene was shot because they wanted to show off some slow-mo effects instead of using the slow-mo effects to accentuate the scene (as it should've been).

Onto the characters:

Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman, and since actors have to play him in such a way that's essentially two different characters, I'll address each of them independently. As Batman, he was absolutely fantastic; easily the best on-screen Batman we've ever gotten. He's actually a detective, and he actually uses the Batcomputer. It's that facet of Batman that we've never seen in film before. The only thing that I'm concerned is that while he does kill people in the movie, I don't actually have a problem that in particular. I know people are outraged because of it, which is silly, because Keaton's Batman is beloved, and he definitely kills a few times (and IIRC, Bale did, too); it's not as pronounced as here, but it still happens. What bothers me, is that the explanation I most often hear for the Joker's grills is because of run ins with Batman, but if that's the case, why wouldn't he just kill him? If someone can answer that, that would be awesome. As far as I know, that's just speculation, right now, so there may be another reason entirely.

His Bruce Wayne, though, wasn't really that great in that the playboy aspect wasn't really all there. They tried it with Diana and him, which was fine, but other than that, there wasn't much going on there. Don't really blame them, though, they filled up their screen-time pretty much to the max.

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor... wasn't terrible, but he wasn't very good either. Really, he was barely even Lex. He was miscast. There is one exception to this, though: The scene on the helipad and his interactions there with Lois and Superman. It showed he was actually a threat, and how manipulative and cunning Lex can be. Take that scene, tone down the... Jesse Eisenberg-ness of it, make him bald, and up his intimidating factor a bit and you've got a pretty damn good Lex. Do those things, and not only would he have been in control, it would've felt like he was in control.

Even though Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman didn't have very much screen time, when she finally did show up in her costume (which itself is pretty rad), she was great. Single best moment is that leap at Doomsday. And speaking of Doomsday... there was no reason for him to even be there. Although, I did like that they had the balls to kill Superman (and of course, I know it's not permanent, but I wish they hadn't made that so obvious).

Continuing on...

The first half of the movie tried (and I consider it to have failed) it it's dynamic in trying to explore the implications of security and even religion in the instance of a god-like alien among humans. The idea has a ton of potential for depth, but the movie didn't really touch on it enough, and definitely not to the extent they should have. What I would have done is cut out Batman's origin story (since everyone knows it by now) and as much fluff as possible in order to extend the court scene. It was way too short, by itself, it was only there because of Lex framing Supes. You could have kept that, but extended the scene and it probably would have been more impactful, especially if it wasn't so overtly hinted at what was going to happen. In general, the scene was just strange, with it being completely silent before the explosion happens. It almost reaches jumpscare levels of absurdity.

The second half is what lives up the the title of the movie. Batman and Superman engage in fisticuffs, and unsurprisingly the action is fantastic. I do like that Superman completely wipes the floor with Batman even after getting hit with a kryptonite bullet. Don't like that Batman basically won. Even though it's not really brilliant writing, I do like the reason they stop fighting: because both their mother's names are Martha. It's a bit silly now that I think of it, but I like it because I don't think I've ever realized that, until now.

Another scene that's silly for fans to get annoyed over is that one where Aqua Man, the Flash, and Cyborg get cameos. The reason I don't think this is all that bad is because they do it all at once, and it's almost over as quickly as it started. They show each of the cameo clips back to back and it moves on. It's setup bait for more movies, but I don't really blame them for doing that. They're already behind Marvel.

tl;dr: Everyone knows Batman's origin story. Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot were both great, Jesse Eisenberg was meh. Doomsday was shoehorned in. Great action and visuals.

Well, I think that's it, really. I'd be curious to see other people thoughts on the movie.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2016 6:51:31 AM
At 3/25/2016 11:01:46 PM, Torton wrote:

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor... wasn't terrible, but he wasn't very good either. Really, he was barely even Lex. He was miscast. There is one exception to this, though: The scene on the helipad and his interactions there with Lois and Superman. It showed he was actually a threat, and how manipulative and cunning Lex can be. Take that scene, tone down the... Jesse Eisenberg-ness of it, make him bald, and up his intimidating factor a bit and you've got a pretty damn good Lex. Do those things, and not only would he have been in control, it would've felt like he was in control.

Actually, I believe that Eisenberg's character was "Alexander" Luthor, Lex Luthor's son. Does this excuse the poor miscast? Probably not.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2016 7:19:49 PM
At 3/26/2016 6:51:31 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 3/25/2016 11:01:46 PM, Torton wrote:

Actually, I believe that Eisenberg's character was "Alexander" Luthor, Lex Luthor's son. Does this excuse the poor miscast? Probably not.
Yeah, they say this but it's just an excuse for a bad casting choice. Apart from Eisenberg warping his personality to be unrecognizable, he's basically identical to comics Luthor.
swindler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 12:38:10 AM
I actually disliked Ben Afflect as Bruce Wayne in the movie. I mean, they made him seem like some alpha male brooding type or some meathead rather than giving him actual clever dialogue. Yeah okay he used the supercomputer and wiped the floor with superman (which is completely irrational btw.. Seriously how did he beat him with some enhanced version of the bat costume?!) but 1) he barely said anything witty 2) was being a wuss about the death of his parents which was oversensitized for 70% of the movie and 3) did not have much development or involvement in the doomsday fight. He literally shot a gaseous form of kryptonite 1 minute before the end of the fight and that was it. Also is might just be a difference in opinion, but his acting at best was subpar. It met standards but I didn't take anything away from it besides the occasional sad stares and pissy glares.

Lex Luthor as Jesse eisenburgh was alright. I was fairly impressed with him not because of his acting or portrayal but the philosophical sht he says. The pee in a cup scene was fking hilarious too lmao. I think there could've been better casting to really bring out the insanity in him.

Plot was eh-mediocre. Linear development with hints at philosophical interpretations of justice and some fun fight scenes to boast animation. I think it was too hyped up which basically killed the movie for me. I enjoyed it to extent though, but I should've watched deadpool instead.
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:23:44 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
It had its faults. The dream sequences were a bit much. Eisenberg was a good villain but not really Lex Luthor. Doomsday was too CGI. Overall though I definitely liked it. Affleck did a solid job as Batman/Brucke Wayne. The story kept me interested. The action was well-done.