Jump to topic:

X-Men Movies

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 4:27:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
So I just caught up on the X-Men movies, and I wanted to start a thread about them. We've got a new prequel generation movie coming out (Apocalypse) and Wolverine 3, Jackman's last, is slated for 2017. After that, we can only assume the series will undergo a reboot unless they try to once again mesh the prequel generation (referring to the "First Class" actors of course) with Wolverine's new character. It would be awkward to say the least however, as Wolverine has already established his appearance in that universe and to insert him as a younger version would present some logical errors. At least with Magneto and Pro X, we are operating under the assumption that we are simply seeing them as their younger selves, but Logan appears as Jackman at least as far back as WWI. There have already been some awkward moments with having Stewart shown walking at the end of X-Men III and at the end of Origins, as well as the re-cast of Sabretooth, and I would say it's time to start fresh.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the series? I was skeptical at first, Jackman wasn't immediately acceptable to most people as worthy of Wolverine when the series started but he seems to have assimilated the role wonderfully. I wasn't a huge fan at the beginning but I have really grown to like them and am really anticipating the future films. I was a big fan of the animated series as a child, they used to come on every Saturday morning in the early 90s and were far and away the best show out at the time. The animated series was the first cartoon in history to show a continuing story line (I would recommend watching them all if you haven't seen them, they are quite good).

One thing I've noticed is that the movies have become increasingly dark. The first two were relatively PG, then the third got a little darker with the Phoenix. Characters started being killed off and Wolverine guts Jean Grey at the end :P Origins was darker than the first three, delivering a very gruesome Deadpool character, and it got even darker IMO with First Class. I was pleasantly surprised, this could have easily turned into some teeny-bop thing with b-rated actors but they actually arguably improved over Stewart and McKellen - two extremely talented actors to begin with. Bacon's character was just devilish and his death was the most gruesome scene in the series up to that point. The Wolverine did nicely continuing in Origin's footsteps, keeping it dark and serious as opposed to the first few films' more pop-culture approach (I always think of that scene in Cyclops' car when the Backstreet boys start playing LOL).

This last film took the darkness to a new level though. I almost feel like I have PTSD after seeing Ice-man decapitated and Collosus torn in half by invincible robots. Storm is impaled and thrown off a Mountain, and what Magneto does to Wolverine has to make you squirm! I think these movies are really proving to be the cream of the crop when it comes to superhero movies, particularly after the Batman V Superman flop (I haven't seen it but do I have to?).

I also must congratulate them for squeezing as much content from comic books and cartoons as they possibly could. Is there any character they haven't touched on? My favorite X-Man has always been Gambit, I wasn't blown-away by his actor but at least I got a chance to see him. Apocalypse was exactly what the doctor ordered next, and from the previews it looks like it is going to be amazing. I expect the series to stay very dark and I would be surprised if Wolverine doesn't achieve his own death in the final movie, probably a very gruesome one at that.

What do you think?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:31:25 AM
No X-Men fans on DDO. Very well...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 4:56:03 PM
They're going to have to do something big with the movies coming up. Either reboot with keeping some of the actors in their roles or just re-cast everyone moving forward. With how Jackman handled Wolverine he played the role perfectly. It's like Robert Downy Jr. as Iron Man. Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Heath Ledger as The Joker. You will never find another actor capable of filling the role as well as they did. Big changes need to come for this franchise if Fox wants to keep doing well with them. The next 5 years are going to make or break the X-Men franchise.

The movies, as you've pointed out, have only gotten better and better. I like how they're getting more mature also and that seems to be the direction going forward with the comic movies in general (think Deadpool here). Also, if you haven't watched any of the DC animated movies, you should. DC has a great hold on the T.V. shows it's producing (Arrow, Flash, etc.), and the animated movies it's making (Flashpoint Paradox being the best so fart). Marvel has a gem on Netflix in Daredevil. I'm beginning to like how culture has shifted from shunning nerd-esque hobbies to embracing them and making them the thing to like (that's a little off-topic though).

Overall, I think your analysis is spot-on.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:15:56 AM
At 4/6/2016 4:56:03 PM, TheFlex wrote:
They're going to have to do something big with the movies coming up. Either reboot with keeping some of the actors in their roles or just re-cast everyone moving forward. With how Jackman handled Wolverine he played the role perfectly. It's like Robert Downy Jr. as Iron Man. Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Heath Ledger as The Joker. You will never find another actor capable of filling the role as well as they did. Big changes need to come for this franchise if Fox wants to keep doing well with them. The next 5 years are going to make or break the X-Men franchise.

The movies, as you've pointed out, have only gotten better and better. I like how they're getting more mature also and that seems to be the direction going forward with the comic movies in general (think Deadpool here). Also, if you haven't watched any of the DC animated movies, you should. DC has a great hold on the T.V. shows it's producing (Arrow, Flash, etc.), and the animated movies it's making (Flashpoint Paradox being the best so fart). Marvel has a gem on Netflix in Daredevil. I'm beginning to like how culture has shifted from shunning nerd-esque hobbies to embracing them and making them the thing to like (that's a little off-topic though).

I admittedly have not watched any of the shows you listed, I will check some of them out. Right now I am FINALLY trying to trudge through Star Trek: Enterprise, the episodes are not very good but it's Star Trek nonetheless and the episodes are at least getting a little better as the first season rolls on. What's the best one I should start with? Daredevil? My GF actually just made me watch the Daredevil movie.

I can't wait to see Apocalypse, I just know this is gonna be the best movie yet. I always loved him in the cartoons, when you saw him appear it was like OH MAN this is gonna be big!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 4:44:58 AM
At 4/9/2016 1:15:56 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I admittedly have not watched any of the shows you listed, I will check some of them out. Right now I am FINALLY trying to trudge through Star Trek: Enterprise, the episodes are not very good but it's Star Trek nonetheless and the episodes are at least getting a little better as the first season rolls on. What's the best one I should start with? Daredevil? My GF actually just made me watch the Daredevil movie.

I can't wait to see Apocalypse, I just know this is gonna be the best movie yet. I always loved him in the cartoons, when you saw him appear it was like OH MAN this is gonna be big!

They're all equally good and suffer from the same issue. They start up slow and then pick up. Once you get into it though, you're hooked. You're going to binge-watch them. Start with Daredevil. Then watch arrow up until they introduce Barry Allen (The Flash) and then start the Flash after that point. I believe it'll be after or near the end of Season 1 where The Flash got his own show. Daredevil Season 2 is fcking epic.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 5:46:50 AM
Honestly, I think Fassbender and McAvoy have done better as Magneto and Xavier, respectively. Stewart and McKellen are great, but I think the actors that play their younger characters did it better.

In general, though, I think the superhero genre needs to balance Marvel's campiness with DC's overly grimdark take. Winter Soldier did this really well, and it excelled.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 2:14:48 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/9/2016 5:46:50 AM, Torton wrote:
Honestly, I think Fassbender and McAvoy have done better as Magneto and Xavier, respectively. Stewart and McKellen are great, but I think the actors that play their younger characters did it better.

In general, though, I think the superhero genre needs to balance Marvel's campiness with DC's overly grimdark take. Winter Soldier did this really well, and it excelled.

I'm an old school kinda guy. Certainly biased. Was it you that called me on it in YYW's Disney thread?

I think it depends on the tone of the movie. I like DC for a more dark, gritty story and I like Marvel for a more light-hearted film. They both do these very well. I agree with you also that The Winter Soldier blended both of these elements very, very well. I hated the first Captain America movie though.