Sound of Silence, 2016

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 11:16:57 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/2/2016 9:57:56 PM, coal wrote:
This is incredible. Thought I'd share it with you all.

https://www.youtube.com...

They did a great job on the song....

But Nouela does it better.

https://youtu.be...
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
coal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 11:27:21 PM
At 4/2/2016 11:16:57 PM, Rosalie wrote:

They're good, but I like Disturbed better. Thanks for sharing though.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 12:38:17 AM

He has a great voice. Simon and Garfunkel are one of my all-time faves.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 12:38:58 AM
At 4/2/2016 11:16:57 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Her voice sounds familiar.... cool video
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
coal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:52:40 AM
At 4/3/2016 12:38:17 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

He has a great voice.

He really does. One of the few who is as good live as he is on a record. True talent.

Simon and Garfunkel are one of my all-time faves.

Same. This is a refreshing take on it too.
coal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 4:30:49 AM
The lyrics of this song have always really haunted me, and I think that Disturbed really does a better job conveying their meaning than Simon and Garfunkel did.

Hello, Darkness, my old friend

This sets up the song's theme and its ultimate message by indicating that the speaker's confidant is nonexistent. It's "darkness." Darkness, which is silent, empty, and unresponsive. The only reason he would be communicating with darkness is because he couldn't communicate with anyone else. It's his way of saying, in so few words, how he feels like an outsider.

I've come to talk with you, again

These are feelings he's had all his life, and he's never found solace or company in another, but he needs to say what he thinks even if no one other than he is listening.

Because a vision, softly creeping, left its seeds while I was sleeping

This is a lyric I think most people get wrong, because most people think this is Simon talking about an actual dream he had. But that's wrong. What Simon was talking about here was a vision of meaning and human existence that softly overtook pop culture while he was growing up and "sleeping." Metaphorically, while he wasn't paying attention to the world around him.

And the vision that was planted in my brain still remains, within the sound of silence

Simon clearly sees what's going on around him for what it is. It's a world that is hollow and empty, but it's all that's there and he can't get out of it. He is recognizing, here, that he's a product of that culture, but he sees through it. No one else does, which is why he's still talking to his old friend, Darkness.

In restless dreams I walked alone [on] narrow streets of cobblestone [be]neath the halo of a street lamp. I turned my collar to the cold and damp [rain].

No matter where he is, inside or outside of his own mind, he's alone, but...

when my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light, that spit the night and touched the sound of silence.

The "sound of silence" is the status quo, and the "neon light" is a false promise of meaning, but it's one artificially constructed by a capitalist-consumerist economy, glorifying things that look bright and appealing but which are filled with nothing more than illuminated air. Neon is a metaphor for the hollowness of false hope, promises, and meaning.

The neon light, is a sign, for a Simon and Garfunkel concert, advertising this song. More on this later.

And in the naked light I saw ten thousand people, maybe more.

People blindly gaze into the false hope, promises, and meaning of capitalist consumerism, in a society that more resembles one of abject idolatry than anything of substance.

People talking without speaking. People hearing without listening.

All the heard, the "ten thousand, maybe more" who were chasing false hope, promises and meaning of capitalist consumerism were caught in a self reinforcing feedback loop, encouraging them to buy, buy, buy... spend, spend, spend... consume, consume, consume... and repeat, while reminding one another of how great all of this is, and taking that message at face value without ever questioning it.

Simon is also talking about authority figures, here. It's not just people, taking to one another, about why they should buy more stuff. It's world leaders, telling people how they should live their lives, what they should think, feel, and believe. And then, people following those instructions obediently, in blind submission.

People writing songs that voices never share. And no one dared, disturb the sound of silence.

Even the other people who think as Simon does dare not question the system as it exists for fear of repercussions. Simon clearly understands that there are others who feel as he does, but he has too much to lose. So he can't speak out, and he's trapped... forced to communicate an anti-capitalist and anti-consumerist message in deep, symbolic language with metaphors and poetic devices. This is ironic, because he's writing a song that actually was shared, although the meaning was so deeply obscured that no one would really understand it... which Simon is about to tell us.

"Fools!" said I, "You do not know! Silence, like a cancer, grows!"

Simon is calling out the people who are listening, trying to show them the error of their ways but he can't be too direct about it. He has to talk about the capitalistic feedback loop with "silence" as a metaphor to represent it. He says it's like cancer, it's metastasizing, and getting worse.

"Hear my words that I might teach you, take my arms that I might reach you."

Simon is imploring his audience to listen to him.

But my words, like silent raindrops fell and echoed in the wells of silence.

No one understood what he was saying, but they heard it over and over again because he knew this song would be immensely popular, would sell hundreds of thousands of copies (which it did and continues to, to this day).

The "wells of silence" are radios, and music playing devices.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.

People blindly followed pop culture and their leaders, without questioning.

and the sign flashed its warning, in the words that it was forming

This is where the song gets surreal. The warning is the "Sound of Silence" in pop culture, as this song would ultimately become extremely successful. The song and its advertisement becomes, as Simon foresees, a symbol of hollow capitalist consumerism by the nature of its mass popularity.

And the sign said "the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, and tenement halls, and whispered in the sound of silence."

This is the deepest line of the song. The song references the book of Daniel, in the Bible, where the Babylonians were worshiping false gods made of gold and silver, just like Americans are worshiping false gods advertised in neon lights. The story is of a human hand appearing on a wall and writing that could not be translated, so King Belteshazzar summoned Daniel to interpret it.

The parallel meaning here is that just as King Belteshazzar's "wise men" could not understand what the writing meant, so too could the American middle class not understand what his song meant. The only people who were capable of understanding the song's meaning were those who were outside the middle class, the poor, who could speak of these matters clearly, though quietly, so as not to disturb "the sound of silence."
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 6:14:42 PM
This isn't my comment, but I figured I'd relay it and give you a little bump.

Weirdest Mr Clean commercial i've ever seenA279;
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
coal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 12:50:10 AM
At 4/7/2016 6:14:42 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
This isn't my comment, but I figured I'd relay it and give you a little bump.

Weirdest Mr Clean commercial i've ever seenA279;

That... does not even make sense at all...