Jump to topic:

Game of Thrones is Way Overrated

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:33:21 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Honestly, I don't see why anyone likes Game of Thrones. The show is overly dramatic.
Often times, characters will die way before they fulfil any real purpose in the narrative.
Like Robb Stark. His death did nothing to push the story forward. It was just for shock.
Did his death accomplish anything his mom's death alone wouldn't have?

The pace of the show is glacial at best, taking years for plot points to actually develop.
How long have we waited and waited for Daenerys to finally go back to Westeros?
Everyone we wanted to see her square up against in S1 is long dead now.

Dorne's storyline is now completely changed from the books, and not for the better.
Oberyn Martell's family is seriously badass in the books, but you wouldn't know it.
Other than like, two people, the whole cast of characters I care about has changed.
Really, I think I'm just about done with the show.

**Just kidding. Now go back and read just the first letter of each line.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:38:55 AM
At 5/25/2016 1:33:21 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Honestly, I don't see why anyone likes Game of Thrones. The show is overly dramatic.
Often times, characters will die way before they fulfil any real purpose in the narrative.
Like Robb Stark. His death did nothing to push the story forward. It was just for shock.

The pace of the show is glacial at best, taking years for plot points to actually develop.

Dorne's storyline is now completely changed from the books, and not for the better.
Oberyn Martell's family is seriously badass in the books, but you wouldn't know it.
Other than like, two people, the whole cast of characters I care about has changed.

That was really well done. I feel as if the more people tell me about how sad the Hodor scene was, the more I will go back to watch it to see if my initial reaction changes. (I didn't really care initially).
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 2:11:29 AM
At 5/25/2016 1:33:21 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

That reveal really hit hard, mostly because Bran warging into Hodor is treated with so much more gravity in the book. It is clearly traumatic for Hodor, and now we know why: because he knows that at some point, he will be warged into and that will be the day that he dies.

It also brings up a great point about how fate works: apparently, a person has their destiny 'locked in' when they brush with prophecy. Pycelle's admonition to Cersei makes a lot more sense: he says that you may be able to foretell the future, but the more important question is should you foretell it, and that the answer is a resounding 'no'. Bran can't change the past; the weirwood net which he is hooked into is a hive mind which transcends time. That makes sense, for an entity which shared a symbiotic origin with the Children, who put much less importance on time than men do.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -