Jump to topic:

Literature Dilemma

Zlehn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:33:23 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
So in my school's paper people have been publishing creative short stories (this started about a year ago to help sell the paper). One particular collection of stories has garnered a bit of a following. Recently a flame war has developed on her Twitter over the writings."

Basically the issue is that a couple people have found quite a few plot holes in the story, and when asked about them the writer took some time to think something up and posted these (I don't know what to call them) "corrections" or "additions" on their Twitter. The debate has basically formed into this...

Side 1: Creating a story that is just so full with plot holes is lazy and, and it's also lazy to just be able to make up fixes after the story is written. The writer should be expected to create a coherent, well put together story.

Side 2: It doesn't matter as long as the plot holes get addressed and fixed. Even if they come after the story has been released.

I think this is an intriguing argument that has formed in my proximity and just felt like sharing to get some insight on.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 4:25:37 PM
At 5/31/2016 9:33:23 AM, Zlehn wrote:
So in my school's paper people have been publishing creative short stories (this started about a year ago to help sell the paper). One particular collection of stories has garnered a bit of a following. Recently a flame war has developed on her Twitter over the writings."

Basically the issue is that a couple people have found quite a few plot holes in the story, and when asked about them the writer took some time to think something up and posted these (I don't know what to call them) "corrections" or "additions" on their Twitter. The debate has basically formed into this...

Side 1: Creating a story that is just so full with plot holes is lazy and, and it's also lazy to just be able to make up fixes after the story is written. The writer should be expected to create a coherent, well put together story.

Side 2: It doesn't matter as long as the plot holes get addressed and fixed. Even if they come after the story has been released.

I think this is an intriguing argument that has formed in my proximity and just felt like sharing to get some insight on.

On that Amazon book publishing thing you're allowed to fix your work even after you start making money off of it. Under all normal circumstances you cannot. This sort of thing should not be acceptable and is a sorry excuse for bad writing.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 4:08:54 AM
Printed boos have been issuing revised editions and issuing errata sheets for a very long time. But that's usually for non-fiction work.

I think arguing over whether a school project should be error free is way too critical. It's true that a novel with "plot holes" is probably not the best, and if it were a commercially printed book, it would likely get knocked in reviews. But demanding that level of work performance from an amateur is too much. I think it's fine to patch the holes after it's been published. Maybe there eventually will be a revised second edition.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 2:17:21 PM
At 6/6/2016 4:18:10 AM, Wylted wrote:
You fix plot holes by killing characters. Simple

Okay James Patterson.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.