Vaporwave

AribtraryMoniker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:14:41 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Why is there no music forum?

Anyway, what do y'all think of v a p o r w a v e ? Part of me feels icked out by it since it feels so, I don't know, pretentious? But part of me sincerely digs it. Some of the music is just kind of out there, but it's also the kind of chill music I like to have playing in the background.

I also like the whole aesthetics thing with all the callbacks to early and mid-2000s culture. I didn't realize some of those things would end up being as nostalgic to me as they are. It's hard to believe that 2002 was well over a decade ago. Is this what it was like back when that whole 'only 90s kids' nonsense was so popular? Vaporwave is satirically nostalgic, but it's still nostalgic.

Also simpsonwave is a thing of beauty.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 2:00:49 AM
>unironically listening to vaporwave

Seriously, though, I've listened to next to nothing in the genre. 2, exactly, 2814's album which I really liked and Floral Shoppe, which is only o.k. to me.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 4:02:11 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:14:41 PM, AribtraryMoniker wrote:
Why is there no music forum?

Anyway, what do y'all think of v a p o r w a v e ? Part of me feels icked out by it since it feels so, I don't know, pretentious? But part of me sincerely digs it. Some of the music is just kind of out there, but it's also the kind of chill music I like to have playing in the background.

I also like the whole aesthetics thing with all the callbacks to early and mid-2000s culture. I didn't realize some of those things would end up being as nostalgic to me as they are. It's hard to believe that 2002 was well over a decade ago. Is this what it was like back when that whole 'only 90s kids' nonsense was so popular? Vaporwave is satirically nostalgic, but it's still nostalgic.

Also simpsonwave is a thing of beauty.

The point isn't nostalgia as much as anti-nostalgia really. Viewing these things retro-causally is supposed to, I dunno, bring to light the illusory nature of techno marketing and the culture surrounding late capitalism (mostly if not exclusively through the digital realm). Still it had its time but, like the fads which it try's to deconstruct, it was only meant to be experienced for a short time. It makes no pretenses toward being long lasting or eternal (like most trash music) and its creators were conscious of this.

That's sorta my opinion at least. I'm not gonna lie I jammed to blank banshee long after the genre was pronounced dead in the dirt lol
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.