Jump to topic:

What is the point of movie ratings?

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 10:08:13 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Besides just allowing parents to not let their children watch certain movies because they're rated R, what really is the point of movie ratings? All they do is lead to many people, especially children and teenagers like me, getting really pissed off and upset because they're "rated R!"

Children are going to learn about sex and gore and hell and smoking and violence anyway so what's really the point of making a movie rated R because it's full of violence/sex scenes?! There are even some rated R movies I've seen that don't even deserve to be rated R because they barely have any excessive sex or violence scenes, just a lot of cussing! Lucy, which is an awesome movie, is a great example! Lucy does not have any sex scenes and the violence in Lucy isn't even that gory or hardcore! It's more like fantasy violence!

I find it extremely stupid and upsetting that my high school won't even show us rated R movies and if they do, we have to sign a stupid permission slip, when we're all old enough to watch rated R movies!

What really is the point of movies having age ratings? I can understand video games having age ratings because at least video games are more fair with their age ratings but many movies are rated R when they barely have anything that makes them inappropiate enough to be rated R!

Also, why are there some movies that are not rated at all?
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:17:59 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/25/2016 10:08:13 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Besides just allowing parents to not let their children watch certain movies because they're rated R, what really is the point of movie ratings? All they do is lead to many people, especially children and teenagers like me, getting really pissed off and upset because they're "rated R!"

Children are going to learn about sex and gore and hell and smoking and violence anyway so what's really the point of making a movie rated R because it's full of violence/sex scenes?! There are even some rated R movies I've seen that don't even deserve to be rated R because they barely have any excessive sex or violence scenes, just a lot of cussing! Lucy, which is an awesome movie, is a great example! Lucy does not have any sex scenes and the violence in Lucy isn't even that gory or hardcore! It's more like fantasy violence!

I find it extremely stupid and upsetting that my high school won't even show us rated R movies and if they do, we have to sign a stupid permission slip, when we're all old enough to watch rated R movies!

What really is the point of movies having age ratings? I can understand video games having age ratings because at least video games are more fair with their age ratings but many movies are rated R when they barely have anything that makes them inappropiate enough to be rated R!

Also, why are there some movies that are not rated at all?

Children are innocent and very easily influenced. When they're still young, their minds are still developing. Exposing them to such things at such a young age, can harm them.
Your school wants to educate you as best as it can, teaching you: not only wants in the syllabus, but also modesty and morality. Some movies, tend to have a higher rating than what I'd generally would deem appropriate, but if they think that's an appropriate rating for it, then that's fine. I understand that you might think it's annoying right now, but take it from that perspective.
When I was a kid, I remember wanting to play the base game of The Sims 2, but at the time it had Pegi 7 rating. I still remember crying over that, but it didn't matter at the end of the day.
You can still play games/watch movies with that rating, technically nothing is stopping you from doing so, it's just not advised.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello