Jump to topic:

Video games take little to no skill.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:40:25 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Gamers always claim that they have skills but how is clicking a button a skill? Can anyone prove to me that gamers actually have skill?
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:01:52 AM
Clearly you don't know the frustration of getting your a$$ handed to you in an online videogame over and over again by some F&*^ING SH*TTY 12 YEAR OLD LITTLE TIT SUCKING F*&K-NUGGET WHO KEEPS CALLING YOU AN AMISH N*GGER JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A JOB AND CAN'T PLAY 10 HOURS PER DAY GOD DAMM*T UHUHUHUHHHUHGHGHGHGU!!!!!11!!!ONE1!!11!

Just sayin', some people are pretty good at videogames, and it's definitely a skill that takes time to develop.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:00:52 PM
At 7/10/2016 6:01:52 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Clearly you don't know the frustration of getting your a$$ handed to you in an online videogame over and over again by some F&*^ING SH*TTY 12 YEAR OLD LITTLE TIT SUCKING F*&K-NUGGET WHO KEEPS CALLING YOU AN AMISH N*GGER JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A JOB AND CAN'T PLAY 10 HOURS PER DAY GOD DAMM*T UHUHUHUHHHUHGHGHGHGU!!!!!11!!!ONE1!!11!

Just sayin', some people are pretty good at videogames, and it's definitely a skill that takes time to develop.

Yes but anybody can sit down and learn how to play the most difficult video game in a matter of minutes. You can't just sit down in front of a piano and learn Fantaisie Impromtu in a matter of minutes. Anyways you literally are just moving your thumbs on a joystick or clicking a mouse with your pointer finger. That's not exactly skillful.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:05:54 PM
There's a difference between learning how to play and becoming a good. Some of the best competitive game and easy to learn; hard to master.

Just look at the difference between people who play CSGO for the first time and those who have become pro. The difference simply in reaction times and recoil control is exceptional.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:49:34 PM
At 7/10/2016 12:05:54 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
There's a difference between learning how to play and becoming a good. Some of the best competitive game and easy to learn; hard to master.

Just look at the difference between people who play CSGO for the first time and those who have become pro. The difference simply in reaction times and recoil control is exceptional.

Yes but the difference between those are very little when it comes to video games. I pulsed StarWars Battlefront and in under a month I was probably one of the best. Anyways, that's kind of like saying, people who control football player puppets to reinact a football game are good a football. They're not actually doing anything.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:15:22 PM
At 7/10/2016 12:49:34 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Yes but the difference between those are very little when it comes to video games. I pulsed StarWars Battlefront and in under a month I was probably one of the best. Anyways, that's kind of like saying, people who control football player puppets to reinact a football game are good a football. They're not actually doing anything.

But surely you still learned to play? The reason you became the best at SW Battlefront is because you learnt controls, maps and guns and used them efficiently to become superior to the other players. You didn't just pick up the controls and immediately become amazing, you had to learn the controls until you mastered them and learn the maps to figure out key areas, etc.

Sure, video games probably don't require as much skill as a real sport like football or w/e, but you have to admit it takes some ability to become the best. I mean if it was so easy, why wasn't everyone the best?
Kauldwin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:54:38 PM
Depends on whether you define "skills" in a purely physical sense or in a physical and mental sense. Physically, yes, at the end of the day video games are (for the most part) button mashing. Mentally, however, video games require a range of skills including memory, quick decision making, logical reasoning, problem solving, and more. Take games like Portal or the Talos Principle, for instance, that require you to solve progressively more difficult logic puzzles in order to finish the game. Games like Civilization require broad strategic thinking, while racing or FPS games require quick reaction times and good decision making skills. None of those things are physically difficult, but they are certainly mental skills that different people have or don't have to varying degrees.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:58:27 PM
At 7/10/2016 1:15:22 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:

But surely you still learned to play? The reason you became the best at SW Battlefront is because you learnt controls, maps and guns and used them efficiently to become superior to the other players. You didn't just pick up the controls and immediately become amazing, you had to learn the controls until you mastered them and learn the maps to figure out key areas, etc.

Sure, video games probably don't require as much skill as a real sport like football or w/e, but you have to admit it takes some ability to become the best. I mean if it was so easy, why wasn't everyone the best?

The controls were simple enough. Move with LS and shoot with RT. The fact is that video games are based off of luck. Therefore they have an require not a lot of skill. I could be the best at Battlefront and still a newbie could kill me in a face off. That's because of luck. So yes, technically everyone's the best because we all have luck on our side when we play video games.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:35:43 PM
At 7/10/2016 2:58:27 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

The controls were simple enough. Move with LS and shoot with RT. The fact is that video games are based off of luck. Therefore they have an require not a lot of skill. I could be the best at Battlefront and still a newbie could kill me in a face off. That's because of luck. So yes, technically everyone's the best because we all have luck on our side when we play video games.

Starwars BF and console shooters in general are not exactly skill based games. If you want to try a skill based game and look for yourself, Starcraft, Osu! and CS:GO is where it's at.
If you can stuff like this within a week of practice I'll concede that video games take no skill.

https://youtu.be...
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:08:34 PM
At 7/10/2016 3:35:43 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Starwars BF and console shooters in general are not exactly skill based games. If you want to try a skill based game and look for yourself, Starcraft, Osu! and CS:GO is where it's at.
If you can stuff like this within a week of practice I'll concede that video games take no skill.

Video games are luck based. So yes I could do those things in under a week.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:12:38 PM
At 7/10/2016 4:08:34 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 7/10/2016 3:35:43 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Video games are luck based. So yes I could do those things in under a week.

LOL point at one thing in Osu! that is based on RNG.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Kauldwin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:09:33 PM
At 7/10/2016 4:15:27 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
The fact that all you're doing is clicking a button. How is that skill?

It's about whether skills are defined as purely physical or as physical and mental, as I mentioned up-thread.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:18:09 PM
At 7/10/2016 6:09:33 PM, Kauldwin wrote:
At 7/10/2016 4:15:27 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
The fact that all you're doing is clicking a button. How is that skill?

It's about whether skills are defined as purely physical or as physical and mental, as I mentioned up-thread.

You're right, but all gamers blabber about is how great their reflexes are but they refer to reflexes as a physical skill when in their context its not really much of a reflex skill at all.
Kauldwin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:23:26 PM
At 7/10/2016 6:18:09 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
You're right, but all gamers blabber about is how great their reflexes are but they refer to reflexes as a physical skill when in their context its not really much of a reflex skill at all.

Eh, I use the term reflexes when discussing games, and in that sense, it is a little physical - you either have good reaction speed to be able to click a mouse or you don't. Some people freeze on snap decisions and can't aim/click a mouse fast enough, while others can.

You also have to be able to do certain key combinations well, particularly in PC games with complicated fighting systems. I put that sort of skill in the same bracket (not necessarily at the same level) as playing a piano or guitar. It's a fine motor skill that not everyone has. Playing an instrument doesn't (in general) require a lot of physical strength, but it does require manual dexterity.

However, I still view video game skills to be primarily mental.
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:45:55 PM
I pulsed StarWars Battlefront and in under a month I was probably one of the best.

ROFL
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:48:21 PM
At 7/10/2016 6:45:55 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
I pulsed StarWars Battlefront and in under a month I was probably one of the best.

ROFL

Whoops I have no idea what I was tryin to say there.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 7:39:14 PM
At 7/10/2016 12:00:52 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Yes but anybody can sit down and learn how to play the most difficult video game in a matter of minutes. You can't just sit down in front of a piano and learn Fantaisie Impromtu in a matter of minutes. Anyways you literally are just moving your thumbs on a joystick or clicking a mouse with your pointer finger. That's not exactly skillful.
Not true at all. There are games that have huge skill ceilings. DOTA 2, League of Legends, and especially Starcraft 2 come to mind.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 7:44:51 PM
At 7/10/2016 7:39:14 PM, Torton wrote:

Not true at all. There are games that have huge skill ceilings. DOTA 2, League of Legends, and especially Starcraft 2 come to mind.

So you think that you can learn Fantaisie Inpromtu in a matter of minutes and you think I can't learn how to play even the most hardest video game in a matter of minutes? Then what's the instruction manual for? And clicking a mouse or moving a joystick is literally how the game will work.
Kauldwin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 8:15:58 PM
At 7/10/2016 7:44:51 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

So you think that you can learn Fantaisie Inpromtu in a matter of minutes and you think I can't learn how to play even the most hardest video game in a matter of minutes? Then what's the instruction manual for? And clicking a mouse or moving a joystick is literally how the game will work.

Interested in taking up this topic in a formal debate? Comment and let me know if you are.
http://www.debate.org...
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 10:26:23 PM
At 7/10/2016 7:44:51 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 7/10/2016 7:39:14 PM, Torton wrote:

t

Woah, ok. You guys should consider setting up a definition or a premises for the discussion beforehand because you're obviously not on talking about the same thing.

Even a monkey could operating a game obviously. Beating a game on a harder difficulty/handicap requires practice. Topping leaderboards or defeating professional gamers require serious dedication and a natural talent.

Either way, good eye-hand cordination and reflexes are crucial if you want to become any good in non-puzzle video games. I myself spend a fair amount of time each day on video games, but even so, I never excel in any of em. I'm good don't get me wrong, but my brother who's not into video games can literally kick my butt in any game within a couple of days of practice. Some people have a better predisposition to succed in certain things than others even though I can't put my finger on what that is.
AlexBlack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 9:34:30 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
If my grandpa will see Uncharted 4, he will say that it is a movie. He even doesn`t understand what is joystick...so, skill is a really important thing for video games.
Online Casino Games " http://gamesmoney.com...