Jump to topic:

Being a Celebrity

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:57:19 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
What do you guys think of the paparazzi: is it excessive, or do celebrities "deserve" the extra attention, scrutiny, and spreading of malicious rumors as just "part of" the gig in having fame and fortune? Surely there are a lot of legal issues that come into play in addition to social commentary. For instance privacy laws, harassment laws, property rights, libel/slander and other forms of character assassination are usually called into question in these discussions.

Do you think celebrities should have to serve as "role models" for the public as well? Are they responsible for using their status to influence public commentary and to take a stand on social issues or against perceived injustice? It seems on one hand, they are critiqued when they stay silent, and on the other hand, are criticized when they speak up.
President of DDO
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 7:00:38 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/20/2016 8:57:19 PM, Danielle wrote:
What do you guys think of the paparazzi: is it excessive, or do celebrities "deserve" the extra attention, scrutiny, and spreading of malicious rumors as just "part of" the gig in having fame and fortune? Surely there are a lot of legal issues that come into play in addition to social commentary. For instance privacy laws, harassment laws, property rights, libel/slander and other forms of character assassination are usually called into question in these discussions.

Do you think celebrities should have to serve as "role models" for the public as well? Are they responsible for using their status to influence public commentary and to take a stand on social issues or against perceived injustice? It seems on one hand, they are critiqued when they stay silent, and on the other hand, are criticized when they speak up.

I think celebrity status is stupid. People base their own self worth with how they measure up to celebrities, who have entire staffs dedicated to their appearance. When a candid photo is published of a celebrity who hasn't had the usual grooming, people are quick to revel in their flaws, to feel better about themselves.

I realize that I am generalizing and that this doesn't apply to many people, especially on DDO, where there is a significant population of substance orientated individuals.

Celebrities should be appreciated for whatever it is that they do well; music, acting, reporting, sports, but their opinions on matters that don't relate to their professions are irrelevant in my opinion.