Jump to topic:

Fahrenheit 451

Your_Conscience
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:21:34 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
In Ray Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451, we are presented with a bleak existence for humanity. Guy Montag is employed to burn books down and his nation is destroyed in a war.

My question, for those who have read it, is why Guy Montag burned his Captain to death? In addition, what did killing him mean in a metaphorical sense? I understand that Captain Beatty was a threat to Montag, but Beatty had extensive and accurate knowledge of books and history. If preserving knowledge is Montag's ultimate goal, why would he incinerate a man that possessed that much knowledge?
I_Wanna_Rawk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:48:56 PM
At 7/28/2016 2:21:34 PM, Your_Conscience wrote:
In Ray Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451, we are presented with a bleak existence for humanity. Guy Montag is employed to burn books down and his nation is destroyed in a war.

My question, for those who have read it, is why Guy Montag burned his Captain to death? In addition, what did killing him mean in a metaphorical sense? I understand that Captain Beatty was a threat to Montag, but Beatty had extensive and accurate knowledge of books and history. If preserving knowledge is Montag's ultimate goal, why would he incinerate a man that possessed that much knowledge?

Pretty sure it was because Beatty posed a threat, like you said. It was also symbolic, as he was the only visible and true "incarnation" of the people's will and desire to burn the books. I may be off, it's been awhile since I read it.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 9:02:48 PM
At 7/28/2016 2:21:34 PM, Your_Conscience wrote:

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books. but I'd have to reread the passage again, I can't quite remember and I feel only someone who recently read the book could answer it.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2016 1:04:41 AM
The books aren't burned because there's an oppressive government. It's because the people are too lazy to read and they don't want to be offended.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~