Jump to topic:

Whiplash

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 11:35:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
So Opsianos and I just finished watching the movie Whiplash, which is a movie about a freshman in college wanting to be a professional drummer. So, one of the best jazz leaders in the country (college level) takes him in. He pushes the drummer far past his limits, to the point where he's spraying blood on the drums at some points. The drummer wants to continue so badly that he still showed up for a performance directly after getting in a bad car accident. So, the jazz leader gets fired for it, plus a past student killed himself b/c of the stress/anxiety he got from being in the guy's class.

The jazz director later asks the drummer if he could help perform in a big performance in NY, since the current drummer for that band is not as good. Here, he announces that he knows the drummer got him fired, and as such has them play a song that the drummer doesn't have. So, the drummer gets up to leave after the song, but comes back in and takes over the show.

Of course, Opsi and I kept narrating it in an osu! manner, where the jazz director was Bikko (acc god), and the drummer was Vaxei.

Have any of you guys seen this movie? If so, what were your thoughts?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 3:43:48 PM
At 9/28/2016 11:35:35 PM, Vaarka wrote:
So Opsianos and I just finished watching the movie Whiplash, which is a movie about a freshman in college wanting to be a professional drummer. So, one of the best jazz leaders in the country (college level) takes him in. He pushes the drummer far past his limits, to the point where he's spraying blood on the drums at some points. The drummer wants to continue so badly that he still showed up for a performance directly after getting in a bad car accident. So, the jazz leader gets fired for it, plus a past student killed himself b/c of the stress/anxiety he got from being in the guy's class.

The jazz director later asks the drummer if he could help perform in a big performance in NY, since the current drummer for that band is not as good. Here, he announces that he knows the drummer got him fired, and as such has them play a song that the drummer doesn't have. So, the drummer gets up to leave after the song, but comes back in and takes over the show.

Of course, Opsi and I kept narrating it in an osu! manner, where the jazz director was Bikko (acc god), and the drummer was Vaxei.

It is bad form to post spoilers in your summary.

This was a fantastic movie.

I've said this before but I really like controlled and contained movies where tension comes from things unsaid and pacing. There's a lot of that in this movie but punctuated with explosive events that reinforce the stakes the characters are dealing with.

The final scene was so intense, one of the best endings I've seen in a while.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 3:45:03 PM
At 10/4/2016 3:43:48 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/28/2016 11:35:35 PM, Vaarka wrote:

It is bad form to post spoilers in your summary.

This was a fantastic movie.

I've said this before but I really like controlled and contained movies where tension comes from things unsaid and pacing. There's a lot of that in this movie but punctuated with explosive events that reinforce the stakes the characters are dealing with.

The final scene was so intense, one of the best endings I've seen in a while.

Sorry for spoiling it XP
Glad you enjoyed it
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 2:38:35 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Yeah I had to skip reading your post because I haven't watched it yet. The guys in my band told me to go see it, I haven't gotten around to it yet. I will watch it soon and comment!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.