Rap music

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:07:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
opinions
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:11:53 PM
I like underground rap. The mainstream stuff is 'meh'.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:15:43 PM
Great stuff for the most part.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:29:44 PM
At 1/20/2011 7:07:34 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
opinions:

Most of the new stuff is utter horse shite, but some of classics are still classics. I'm real selective with hip hop. All this Big Willy bullsh*t with a negative message doesn't fly with me. I want some substance, dammit!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:44:09 PM
I'm a West Coast man myself. Got live for alll West coast rappers.MURS FOR PRESIDENT! Talib Kweli is my f'ing hero though man
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:56:39 PM
At 1/20/2011 7:29:44 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
opinions:

Most of the new stuff is utter horse shite, but some of classics are still classics. I'm real selective with hip hop. All this Big Willy bullsh*t with a negative message doesn't fly with me. I want some substance, dammit!

Some good stuff.

I rarely care about the message of a song though. Positive, negative, most of the time the message the music tries to get off is something insipid anyway.

At 1/20/2011 7:35:42 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
I love 90s rap. Really anything old school

At 1/20/2011 7:44:09 PM, MarquisX wrote:
I'm a West Coast man myself. Got live for alll West coast rappers.MURS FOR PRESIDENT! Talib Kweli is my f'ing hero though man

West Coast is the best. I'm partial to G-Funk myself. To kind of mix the love for West Coast and Old School, Here is an Old School West Coast track off the Chronic that you don't really hear people play too often, but it's one of my favorite tracks off the album.

Though Prodigy isn't really a straight hip hop group or anything(what the hell would that be?), This second video is my ringtone right now. Hah
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 1:21:27 PM
Like East coast, mainly '90s: Redman, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, Biggy, Onyx, Lost Boyz...

DMX and Eminem were good foor a 5 year spurt right at the end there, but I can't stand anything but the core 3 LPs from the each of them.

As far as the new stuff, most of it is so simplistic that it really isn't enjoyable. How many different ways can they talk about cars, money, and girls... One guy I found that is brand new, who is so ridiculous he actually entertains me is Ghetto Brown.

Here's a couple videos, the first is from liquid swords from the GZA... Proof that rap wasn't always about a 78 IQ and a fist-full of hundred dollar bills. If your speakers don't push any bass through the song will not sound half as cool.

The second is ghetto brown. Turn the lights off and pour a glass of champagne for your woman and bump this to get romantic. The lyrics are hilarious if you listen to the story he tells.
no comment
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 1:37:21 PM
opinions:

http://www.youtube.com......

These videos seem pretty old... Early 90s I would assume?

They are definitely positive in a direct way. Bands that I enjoy like Wu-Tang aren't directly positive, they like to tell the story of the black ghetto and interject subtle pearls of wisdom into their lyrics to "try and keep the sharp [people] guessing." The reason why the positive stuff (i.e., Will Smith) can't compete is that people just aren't excited by positive messages. We love to be shocked.
no comment
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 7:57:30 PM
The reasoning behind why I like certain rap music is the same reasoning behind why I like certain animes.
Aka, there is none.
My brother was pretty much the only source for my rap music in my life, which is why I like Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, DMX and Eminem.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 9:34:26 PM
From the slums of Shaolin
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:14:17 AM
At 1/21/2011 9:34:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
From the slums of Shaolin

That son of a bi1ch who posted that video's name is "Josh1billion" lol (my old handle on DDO and the one I use for most everything)
no comment
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 2:04:38 PM
At 1/21/2011 1:21:27 PM, Caramel wrote:
Like East coast, mainly '90s: Redman, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, Biggy, Onyx, Lost Boyz...

DMX and Eminem were good foor a 5 year spurt right at the end there, but I can't stand anything but the core 3 LPs from the each of them.

As far as the new stuff, most of it is so simplistic that it really isn't enjoyable. How many different ways can they talk about cars, money, and girls... One guy I found that is brand new, who is so ridiculous he actually entertains me is Ghetto Brown.

Here's a couple videos, the first is from liquid swords from the GZA... Proof that rap wasn't always about a 78 IQ and a fist-full of hundred dollar bills. If your speakers don't push any bass through the song will not sound half as cool.

The second is ghetto brown. Turn the lights off and pour a glass of champagne for your woman and bump this to get romantic. The lyrics are hilarious if you listen to the story he tells.

This.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:13:00 PM
At 1/23/2011 2:04:38 PM, rarugged wrote:
At 1/21/2011 1:21:27 PM, Caramel wrote:

This.

The first one kicked @ss.

Second one was alright.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:14:20 PM
Wu comin through
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:25:40 PM
More West Coast love

This is the good version of "Check yo self"

and some Cypress Hill, because everyone knows they are the sh!t
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 10:21:15 PM
Lecrae
Check out his Albums Rebel and Rehab
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 9:47:07 AM
rarugged and alfonzo:

Are you guys familiar with Wu Tang? I can set you up with some tracklists that will blow your mind
no comment
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 1:16:01 PM
At 1/24/2011 9:47:07 AM, Caramel wrote:
rarugged and alfonzo:

Are you guys familiar with Wu Tang? I can set you up with some tracklists that will blow your mind

Go for it
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 1:33:42 PM
Great to see a healthy appreciation of quality hip hop music in this thread.

At 1/20/2011 7:56:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Though Prodigy isn't really a straight hip hop group or anything(what the hell would that be?), This second video is my ringtone right now. Hah

The Prodigy certainly aren't straight up hip hop, though it is clkearly a big influence on their sound. The vocals on Deisel Power are by Kool Keith (Ultramagnetic MCs, Dr. Octagon etc.) though and he most definitely is.

At 1/21/2011 1:37:21 PM, Caramel wrote:

Word.

These videos seem pretty old... Early 90s I would assume?

Mid to late 90s actually. The Jeru joint dropped in 96 and I'm pretty sure the Blackalicious is from a couple of years later.

They are definitely positive in a direct way. Bands that I enjoy like Wu-Tang aren't directly positive, they like to tell the story of the black ghetto and interject subtle pearls of wisdom into their lyrics to "try and keep the sharp [people] guessing." The reason why the positive stuff (i.e., Will Smith) can't compete is that people just aren't excited by positive messages. We love to be shocked.

There are positive messages in some Wu stuff I would say, although obvious examples escape me right now and there is definitely plenty of quality positive hip hop out there. The reason someone like Will Smith is wack compared to artists like the Wu has nothing to do with positive or negative imo. It's because he's an entertainer and obviously a talented actor but a mediocre lyricist and an uncreative MC creating mere product rather than art.:

At 1/21/2011 2:14:54 PM, Floid wrote:
For a good percentage of it you can drop the "music" part.

Snobbery, plain and simple. I know you're a musician yourself but this is just the kind of comment that some musicians from previous eras would have made about the Funk that you love and the Rock and Roll, Blues and Jazz that influenced it, when those genres were first developed.

If you mean a good percentage of it is crap, then of course you're right, but it really bugs me when people dismiss music they don't like as being "not music". On a pedantic level, almost any combination of different sounds arranged in an intentional rhythm would qualify as music, even a child banging on a table or birdsong.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 6:57:50 PM
At 1/28/2011 6:42:09 PM, Caramel wrote:
Jusf heard a song you all should check out. "I used to love h.e.r." by common. The lyrics are really good...

Common's deece. I agree with feverish's sentiments in this thread. Also, I just feel absolutely compelled to throw it out there: East Coast most definitely dominates West Coast. I'm sorry but it's true (and blatantly obvious imo). Just had to be said. But with that being said, there's no need to fight :) That's silly lol. Some of my favorite artists and groups include Biggie, The Roots, Dead Prez, The Coup, Wu Tang, Talib Kweli, Big Pun and yeaaah Eminem...
President of DDO