Jump to topic:

Foreign Films

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:27:04 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
I just finished watching Nuit Noire, a French dramatization of the 1961 Paris massacre, for one of my classes. A tragic movie (and historical event), but a very good movie.

What foreign language films have you watched and found enjoyable?
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 1:02:48 PM
At 11/21/2016 9:27:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
I just finished watching Nuit Noire, a French dramatization of the 1961 Paris massacre, for one of my classes. A tragic movie (and historical event), but a very good movie.

We watched a part of a french film last year in French III, I think it was about the Holocaust (that or I'm thinking of something we watched in a different class, in which case the film that I watched in French was Le Petite Prince)
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:03:31 PM
I recently went to a friends house and found them watching a dubbed version of Oceans 12 (in Italian) which was very funny to watch.An actor would say his lines and stop talking while the soundtrack would continue to make him speak and vice versa.As I watched the film a thought occurred to me.Clooney,Pitt,Damon,Jolie,Aniston and Zellweger are all rated as "international stars" and my thought was, why?.When the aboves film are globally released they are dubbed or subtitled and in Oceans 12 I was listening to unknown actors saying the lines.So how are they "international stars" when they aren't delivering the lines in their films?.Is it all hype?.Can anyone reading this forum name a non-English speaking "international star" that English speaking peoples would go in droves to see on a red carpet?.
See the happy moron: he doesn't give a damn:I wish I were a moron:My God! perhaps I am!. Anonymous.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:57:04 PM
Love Me If You Dare is probably my favourite film ever. French film. Ebert figured the protagonists were psychopaths though lol.

Besides that, there's a bunch of Korean ones. I Saw The Devil. The Man from Nowhere. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Koreans do violence in a real intense way.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:58:23 PM
There's another French one, I can't think of it though. French for love movies; Koreans for violence.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 10:02:37 PM
Oldboy, of course - for the Koreans.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 12:29:13 AM

Oh boy.

Blue Is The Warmest Color
Oldboy
Battle Royale
Le Petit Prince
Amelie
Spirited Away
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Ip Man
Ringu
The Chorus
This Is Not A Film
Funny Games
Let The Right One In
Infernal Affairs
Life Is Beautiful
The Kid With A Bike
Cinema Paradiso
The Bicycle Thief

I could go on.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 4:23:05 AM

I watch a lot of foreign films.

The best:

Kieslowski's Dekalog (one of the most astounding things ever made)

Tarkovsky's Solaris

Fellini's 8 1/2
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 3:52:57 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
I've been meaning to watch Tarkovsky's Stalker since forever but haven't managed to get around to it. Same with The Hunt.

Supposed to be two of the greatest movie days of all time though.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 5:42:16 PM

Pan's Labyrinth, REC, and Downfall.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 1:34:38 AM
Mongol was pretty good
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 6:31:02 AM
Posted: 5 days ago
At 11/22/2016 3:50:21 PM, Lynx_N wrote:
Seven Samurai, by Akira Kurosawa, 1954

Just saw this for the first time in a theatre today - ASTOUNDING film. In the past week, I've also seen Rashomon, Throne of Blood, and Yojimbo. All are masterpieces. I plan on seeing as many more as I can at a theatre - the theme runs for a few more weeks.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 6:32:12 AM
Posted: 5 days ago
At 11/22/2016 3:52:57 PM, Devilry wrote:
I've been meaning to watch Tarkovsky's Stalker since forever but haven't managed to get around to it. Same with The Hunt.

Supposed to be two of the greatest movie days of all time though.

Haven't seen Stalker yet, but Solaris is exactly what I want in a sci-fi movie. I hated 2001, and think that Solaris far, far surpasses it.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 3:57:23 PM
Posted: 4 days ago
At 12/1/2016 6:31:02 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Just saw this for the first time in a theatre today - ASTOUNDING film. In the past week, I've also seen Rashomon, Throne of Blood, and Yojimbo. All are masterpieces. I plan on seeing as many more as I can at a theatre - the theme runs for a few more weeks.

The one's who think they've seen drama haven't seen anything if they've missed out on Kurosawa.
The seventh seal by Bergman is also up there, but doesn't quite cut it compared to Kurosawa IMO.
Enjoy your theme weeks, quality time well spent.
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 2:43:24 AM
At 12/1/2016 3:57:23 PM, Lynx_N wrote:
At 12/1/2016 6:31:02 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

The one's who think they've seen drama haven't seen anything if they've missed out on Kurosawa.
The seventh seal by Bergman is also up there, but doesn't quite cut it compared to Kurosawa IMO.
Enjoy your theme weeks, quality time well spent.

Saw Red Beard this morning, will probably see the new documentary on Mifune tomorrow - all I have to say is WOW.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2016 5:34:43 AM
At 12/2/2016 2:43:24 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Saw Red Beard this morning, will probably see the new documentary on Mifune tomorrow - all I have to say is WOW.

Now I have to check out Red Beard also, many thanks.
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2016 3:39:07 AM
Posted: 3 days ago
Rashoman. Throne of Blood. Geisha.
See the happy moron: he doesn't give a damn:I wish I were a moron:My God! perhaps I am!. Anonymous.