Jump to topic:

The Big 4 of metal

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 8:24:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As a handful of you are probably aware, the Big 4 of metal (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax) are sharing a stage for the first time in US history. All of these bands formed in the 80's and are still going at it.

It's a pretty big deal in the metal scene. Awesome, right? Not really. They're only playing ONE show in the US, yet they played seven in Europe. WTF??? I totally get that the European scene is larger, but all those bands are American, we've been waiting for this moment for a long, long time, and when it finally happens they play 1 stinkin' show in the middle of the desert? Come on, guys, really?

At a bear MINIMUM, they should play 2 shows on the West Coast (Seattle and Indio), 2 on the East Coast (New York and Atlanta) 2 shows in the MidWest (Chicago and Dallas).

This is disappointing... Thoughts?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 8:37:19 PM
I watched an interview with Kerry King on That Metal Show and he said that they're planning on creating an American Big 4 tour this year or 2012. He said, "We will definitely be coming through America on tour. Why the fvck would we just go to Europe?" Gotta love him...

And when they do come to Seattle (since all Metal bands do :P)... I WILL CRY WITH EXCITEMENT!!!! Holy sh!t, just thinking about it makes me go fvcking crazy. GAH.... I wanna see them NOW dammit!! >:)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 10:38:41 PM
I'd love to go to that big 4 concert; I'd go to the states to see it. 2012 is probably do-able too. *thinks hard*

I was planning on going to the UK next year... *thinks really hard*

Bah, it isn't even announced yet.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 9:36:53 AM
Slayer and Megadeth and touring through Europe this spring, I hope they swing by here.

And, in general thrash metal is more beloved in Europe. In U.S. new Metal genres are currently more popular.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:01:27 AM
At 1/25/2011 8:37:19 PM, annhasle wrote:
I watched an interview with Kerry King on That Metal Show and he said that they're planning on creating an American Big 4 tour this year or 2012. He said, "We will definitely be coming through America on tour. Why the fvck would we just go to Europe?" Gotta love him...:

Thank God! I was gonna say, this doesn't seem right.

And when they do come to Seattle (since all Metal bands do :P)... I WILL CRY WITH EXCITEMENT!!!! Holy sh!t, just thinking about it makes me go fvcking crazy. GAH.... I wanna see them NOW dammit!! >:):

I'm getting invited right and left to the show out in Indio, but I don't think I'm realistically going to be able to pull it off. I might just have to wait 'til 2012.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:19:11 AM
At 1/26/2011 9:36:53 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Slayer and Megadeth and touring through Europe this spring, I hope they swing by here.

And, in general thrash metal is more beloved in Europe. In U.S. new Metal genres are currently more popular.:

Yes and no. The New Wave of American Heavy Metal is certainly huge, but America still has a lasting love affair with the classics, but especially Slayer. The classics are still the classics amongst new school and old school fans, and without the influence of bands on the Big 4 ticket and Iron Maiden, NWAHM wouldn't even exist.

Specifically thrash metal has lost a lot of its relevance in America, so I won't entirely disagree, and all of early Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax fall in to the category of thrash. Slayer, though, is a genre all it's own, in my opinion, and they've somehow managed to always roll with the times while fully maintaining their signature Slayer sound. It's remarkable.

I've only seen Megadeth and Anthrax in concert. Somehow, in all of my years, I've missed Slayer and Metallica, and it's NOT for lack of effort. Something ALWAYS happens. I've even had tickets in my hand to Slayer before, and I've had to give them away. I cannot die a peaceful man without seeing Slayer live at least once.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:43:17 AM
At 1/26/2011 10:19:11 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/26/2011 9:36:53 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

And, in general thrash metal is more beloved in Europe. In U.S. new Metal genres are currently more popular.:

Yes and no. The New Wave of American Heavy Metal is certainly huge, but America still has a lasting love affair with the classics, but especially Slayer. The classics are still the classics amongst new school and old school fans, and without the influence of bands on the Big 4 ticket and Iron Maiden, NWAHM wouldn't even exist.

Specifically thrash metal has lost a lot of its relevance in America, so I won't entirely disagree, and all of early Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax fall in to the category of thrash. Slayer, though, is a genre all it's own, in my opinion, and they've somehow managed to always roll with the times while fully maintaining their signature Slayer sound. It's remarkable.

The Big 4 are definitely influences on NWAHM, I agree, however the fact they now tour together to hold venues they held on their own 20 years ago is telling.

In terms of sounds, I think Anthrax and Slayer and two very different sounding bands somehow lumped under Thrash Metal, thought Thrash is itself a broad genre imo. I think Slayer helped massively in opening the avenue to Death Metal, and subsequent harder forms of Metal, while Megadeth had a bigger influence over Speed Metal and Metal which focuses on speed. Metallica influenced more mainstream bands but had a wide influence over Metal and borderline Metal bands.

I've only seen Megadeth and Anthrax in concert. Somehow, in all of my years, I've missed Slayer and Metallica, and it's NOT for lack of effort. Something ALWAYS happens. I've even had tickets in my hand to Slayer before, and I've had to give them away. I cannot die a peaceful man without seeing Slayer live at least once.

I really need to see all 4 sometime before they stop touring.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.