Jump to topic:

Jimi Hendrix

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 6:40:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If your exposure to Jimi Hendrix is limited to "Hey Joe" and "Purple Haze", you are missing out.

Jimi was a made beast. Truly a magical dragonfly knight of the Spanish castle.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 6:50:55 PM
At 2/2/2011 6:40:54 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If your exposure to Jimi Hendrix is limited to "Hey Joe" and "Purple Haze", you are missing out.

Jimi was a made beast. Truly a magical dragonfly knight of the Spanish castle.

Couldn't possibly agree more.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 6:54:14 PM
I take your 3 and raise you...

Machine Gun!
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 6:59:51 PM
There used to be a better synced version on Youtube, but the account that held it was disabled. Pretty sucky if you ask me.

To anyone who has never heard machine gun.. at least sit through the guitar solo, it's definitely up there as one of the most soulful, painful, and amazing rock guitar solos ever played.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 1:50:12 PM
Jimi Hendrix is absurdly overrated from a talent perspective, and possibly the most overrated guitarist of all time. But he was very innovative for his time. I'll give credit where credit is due.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:09:56 PM
At 2/3/2011 1:50:12 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Jimi Hendrix is absurdly overrated from a talent perspective, and possibly the most overrated guitarist of all time. But he was very innovative for his time. I'll give credit where credit is due.

i think he's class.. but then again i've only started listenin' to him lately.. new friends bring new interests! all along the watchtower is probably my favourite song EVAR! ...at the moment.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:26:59 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:09:56 PM, badger wrote:

i think he's class.. but then again i've only started listenin' to him lately.. new friends bring new interests! all along the watchtower is probably my favourite song EVAR! ...at the moment.

anyone have a better guitar(?) tune than that for me?
signature
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:28:35 PM

To non-musicians, he is overrated simply for the fact that many people call him the greatest guitarist of all time.

To musicians, he is underrated because.. Well, yeah, we know he isn't the greatest guitarist of all time.. But many players(especially guitarists) will overlook him not realizing what an amazing rhythm player he is.

His solos are good, and some of them are straight mind melting, but his rhythm playing is really good. Also, he was good at improvising. Most blame it on the drugs, but drugs or not, he was very creative.

Even then, I play around Chicago, and I jam with a lot of guitarists... I can only think of 2 that might be able to hold their own with the guy, and those 2 guys are forces of nature.

For the hell of it, I'ma post the woodstock improvisation.

http://video.google.com...#
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:32:58 PM

All Along the Watchtower is a Bob Dylan song. Jimi Hendrix's cover is pretty much the definitive version though.

Hey Joe is actually a cover too.. but.. er.. No one seems to give a damn. >.>
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:33:43 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:28:57 PM, badger wrote:
in fairness to you, paradigm, most of the other tunes these dudes posted suck balls..

No accounting for taste they say.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:34:51 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:33:43 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
in fairness to you, paradigm, most of the other tunes these dudes posted suck balls..

i'm accounting for taste! i'm looking for music! got any?
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:38:18 PM
To non-musicians, he is overrated simply for the fact that many people call him the greatest guitarist of all time.:

I am a musician. I've been a drummer since I was 12 years old, and I'm now 33.

To musicians, he is underrated because.. Well, yeah, we know he isn't the greatest guitarist of all time.:

Underrated, how? He always places within the top 3 in things like Rolling Stone magazine which knows f*ck-all about music. They're a bunch of candy @ssed, Top 40 hacks.

His solos are good, and some of them are straight mind melting, but his rhythm playing is really good. Also, he was good at improvising. Most blame it on the drugs, but drugs or not, he was very creative.:

Technical wise, he's simply not that good, but he was extremely creative and innovative. I think that was his greatest attribute.

Even then, I play around Chicago, and I jam with a lot of guitarists... I can only think of 2 that might be able to hold their own with the guy, and those 2 guys are forces of nature.:

Music is subjective, so what sounds good to you might not sound good to me.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:38:32 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:34:51 PM, badger wrote:

Do you like blues?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:39:16 PM

i think he's class.. but then again i've only started listenin' to him lately.. new friends bring new interests! all along the watchtower is probably my favourite song EVAR! ...at the moment.:

That's the only Hendrix song I like.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:41:26 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:39:16 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

i think he's class.. but then again i've only started listenin' to him lately.. new friends bring new interests! all along the watchtower is probably my favourite song EVAR! ...at the moment.:

That's the only Hendrix song I like.

i think it's the only one i like too.. any good guitar tunes for me?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:42:21 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:38:32 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Do you like blues?

i don't even know what blues are lol..
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:45:49 PM

Do you like blues?:

Let's talk about Blues and non-overrated guitarists.

Stevie Ray Vaughn. He's legit.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:45:49 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:38:18 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Underrated, how? He always places within the top 3 in things like Rolling Stone magazine which knows f*ck-all about music. They're a bunch of candy @ssed, Top 40 hacks.

Rolling Stone is retarded, no one cares.

Technical wise, he's simply not that good, but he was extremely creative and innovative. I think that was his greatest attribute.

Yeah, that was his greatest attribute, but to say he wasn't technically good is just plain ignorant. No, he isn't a Steve Vai or hell, even Eddie Van Halen, but he was a good guitarist. He deserves some credit.

Music is subjective, so what sounds good to you might not sound good to me.

I was talking about technique mostly, but eh.. If you want to argue how that is subjective too, then I don't know what to say.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:47:20 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:45:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Do you like blues?:

Let's talk about Blues and non-overrated guitarists.

You are so fvcking white. lol

Nah, I'm playing, Stevie Ray Vaughn is a mad beast.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:48:37 PM
Yeah, that was his greatest attribute, but to say he wasn't technically good is just plain ignorant. No, he isn't a Steve Vai or hell, even Eddie Van Halen, but he was a good guitarist. He deserves some credit.:

But he always gets more credit than them! And usually these are the same people who say that Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist. Give me a break! And yes, Jimi Hendrix was light years better than Cobain. I certainly don't think he's a bad guitarist, just not one of the greatest.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:51:18 PM
At 2/3/2011 2:48:37 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Yeah, that was his greatest attribute, but to say he wasn't technically good is just plain ignorant. No, he isn't a Steve Vai or hell, even Eddie Van Halen, but he was a good guitarist. He deserves some credit.:

But he always gets more credit than them! And usually these are the same people who say that Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist. Give me a break! And yes, Jimi Hendrix was light years better than Cobain. I certainly don't think he's a bad guitarist, just not one of the greatest.

Yeah, and guess who put Kurt Cobain on a list of greatest guitarists?

Rolling Stone.

Kurt Cobain is a terrible guitarist. I like Nirvana, and I think he was creative, but... the guy couldn't play for sh!t.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:52:54 PM
Rolling Stone is a terrible magazine. One time I saw a cover saying how Britney Spears was Lady of Rock... This was back a few years ago... Probably the first Rolling Stone magazine I ever saw.

I couldn't take them seriously from that point on.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:56:30 PM

You are so fvcking white. lol:

Not really... One of my favorite guitarists right now is this dude. And from a technical aspect, he massacres Jimi.

Nah, I'm playing, Stevie Ray Vaughn is a mad beast.:

His guitar string gauge was practically bass string guitars, and he can still bend like that. The guy's hands must have been insanely strong.

Speaking of bassists... My favorite bassist
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 2:57:10 PM
Yeah, and guess who put Kurt Cobain on a list of greatest guitarists?

Rolling Stone.

Kurt Cobain is a terrible guitarist. I like Nirvana, and I think he was creative, but... the guy couldn't play for sh!t.:

Agreed on all counts!!!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:05:51 PM
I've discovered that it is impossible to make a topic about an artist without it getting hijacked by people who want to show off some other artist.

Make a topic about Bach, people start posting Beethoven and Mozart.

Make a topic about Jimi Hendrix, you get Victor Wooten and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Watch, I'll make a King Crimson topic next, and someone will post a Tool video.

>.>
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:10:53 PM
At 2/3/2011 3:05:51 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I've discovered that it is impossible to make a topic about an artist without it getting hijacked by people who want to show off some other artist.

Make a topic about Bach, people start posting Beethoven and Mozart.

Make a topic about Jimi Hendrix, you get Victor Wooten and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Sorry. Paradigm started it :/

Watch, I'll make a King Crimson topic next, and someone will post a Tool video.

>.>