Have you ever seen an opera?

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:10:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I go to see my first in April with my girlfriend. We're going to see Turendot

First youtube video is from the opera I will be attending. Unfortunately Pavarotti won't be performing.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:20:33 AM
yeah... i saw carmen when i was in school. i also saw an opera based on the little mermaid. and i saw this last week! i think its part of an opera lol...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:25:31 AM
At 2/11/2011 1:20:33 AM, belle wrote:
yeah... i saw carmen when i was in school. i also saw an opera based on the little mermaid. and i saw this last week! i think its part of an opera lol...

VITAS!!!!!!!!!!! My friend and I have a goal to one day go to a Vitas concert, even if it means going to Russia.

To get back on topic, I have been to one performance in Vienna. It wasn't exclusively an opera, but opera was certainly a component of it along with ballet and other kinds of dance, classical music(Mozart was huge of course, lol), and opera.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:28:35 AM
At 2/11/2011 1:25:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
VITAS!!!!!!!!!!! My friend and I have a goal to one day go to a Vitas concert, even if it means going to Russia.

he was in vancouver like 2 weeks ago :P

also he's supposed to do another north america tour in 2012
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:31:14 AM
At 2/11/2011 1:28:35 AM, belle wrote:
At 2/11/2011 1:25:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

he was in vancouver like 2 weeks ago :P

also he's supposed to do another north america tour in 2012

Way for me to miss that... >.> Argh.

I guess I'm waiting until 2012 then.
Aibohphobia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 5:08:24 PM
I'm playing some Arias from Turandot, Carmen, and Barber of Seville with an awesome tenor, but I've never been to an opera.

It seems like it would be fairly enjoyable.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 5:11:51 PM
I've seen a couple...

Singin's cool.. it's better than ballet :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 11:53:45 AM
I've seen a few, and i don't care for Puccini, i know that's sort of sacrilegious in the opera world, but i just find it not to my taste, don't be surprised if you're a little bored. Turendot has some cool costumes, and i guess La Boheme had some nice arias, but the dramatics are just too much for me. I like the standards like Mozart's Magic Flute, Don Giovanni, etc, or Bizet's Carmen, or Verdi's La Traviata - even a little Wagner now and again is okay.

I agree with Matt, i really have a hard time with a whole ballet.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 8:03:22 AM
At 2/11/2011 1:10:14 AM, askbob wrote:
I go to see my first in April with my girlfriend. We're going to see Turendot

First youtube video is from the opera I will be attending. Unfortunately Pavarotti won't be performing.

Closest I've seen is Mel Tillis live.
"Modern atheism is Richard Dawkins."- thegodhand

"Thegodhand likes to misquote people"- Benjamin Franklin