Jump to topic:

How to Write Dark Humor?

Kumquatodor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 11:12:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to know how to write dark humor. Very dark.

The problem is that I am very bad at it. Very bad.

And there's no point if it isn't funny!
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 2:14:07 PM
haha interesting question
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 4:04:54 PM
At 5/20/2014 11:12:03 PM, Kumquatodor wrote:

Talk to this chick:http://www.debate.org...

#my-buddy
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 11:24:13 PM

Just make a story with a bunch of characters, many of whom are black, and every now and then, kill off a character because he/she is black.
Sashil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 5:07:50 AM
Just add all the serious topics like murdering babies, mistreatment of old/physically challenged people,religion,race and make it sound funny.
I cannot tell you how(as these are the stuffs that are to be practiced and learnt) but here's an example http://global3.memecdn.com...
Scientists have created a mutant version of the deadly 1918 Spanish flu virus in an effort to better understand how pandemics start.
I'm not a scientist, but this is how pandemics start. ~ meh

I wanted to be a Ninja, so I googled "Ninja school" I followed the link to their website, and it said "Page cannot be found"
WOW, these mo#^&%$rs are good. ~ UnKnown
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 5:25:46 AM
At 5/31/2014 5:07:50 AM, Sashil wrote:
Just add all the serious topics like murdering babies, mistreatment of old/physically challenged people,religion,race and make it sound funny.
I cannot tell you how(as these are the stuffs that are to be practiced and learnt) but here's an example http://global3.memecdn.com...

You got to have the shock value in the punch line.

1. set up maybe something people are familiar with
2. pause let people think
3. punch line includes something people find disgusting

Don't do to many in a row.

What is the fastest way to unload a truck full of babies?
pause
With a pitch fork.

What do you say to a woman who has 2 black eyes?
pause
Nothing you already said it twice.

What do you call a black person on the moon?
An astronaut you racist bastard

See mundane then twisted sick punch line. But pause so people can imagine it.
notreallysofatmike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 6:23:10 PM
There's no teaching this material, you just need inspiration a comedian you look up to. Find you're dark humor don't take a lesson then you're just a hack if you do.
Phvro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 5:58:54 PM
I write dark humor on a normal basis and this is my advice.

Humans have certain compulsions to sensationalize certain and relegate others. esseintially they take something seriously and others not. In reality everything has the capability of being funny. What i like to is research a certain topic, more specifically a tragedy of some sort, i read the details in a completely non biased way and take notes. After i take notes i review them, i imagine the event that occured in a more comedic tone, and then the magic happens.
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:37:33 AM

you take something that people are really really sensitive about. And then make an incredibly offensive punchline for it.

there's lots and lots of issues and problems that people are very sensitive to.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 2:15:04 PM

Grab a pencil and some paper, wait until midnight, and turn off all the lights :D

To be serious, learning by example is a great way to start. Even watching Monty Python's The Meaning of Life will help you develop ideas. In terms of actual reading, Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five has a large helping of it, if you haven't read it already. That'd be my recommendation for a starting point.

Alternatively, you could always just keep on trying until you get it right, in your eyes. That's certainly a great way to develop a unique style.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 12:29:26 PM
It is simple.

1) Think of a kind of person who is at any sort of disadvantage, or who has been oppressed or is being oppressed, or at the centre of controversy, or even people who you feel sorry for. Disabed people, black people, gays.

OR

1a) Think of groups of people/acts which is illegal, sickening, and wrong. Such as rape, paedophilia, child abuse, massacre, genocide.

2) Once you have picked, ask yourself about any stigma/information attached to these. For example, why is there and what stigma is attached to black people? Well, ghettoes, slavery, theft, chicken, they aren't wanted by some, etc. This is in relation to chain 1.

OR

2a) What about these make them so sad? Any specific exampes? E.g. genocide, Jews, WW2.

3) Put two together, and make it a joke. Easier said, of course, but remember the punchline needs to be cruel, so it needs to preferably be mocking the victims as mentioned above. The punchline needs to be the link between these two, and it cannot be given away beforehand and should be inferred, not said.

So for example, what is the difference between a black person and cream?

Cream moves slower when whipped.

Here, what I did was use (1) to think of a person, and (2) for the attachment of slavery. With the (a) examples, you can say for example:

What is the similarity between the holocaust and banks?

Jews are fired in both.

The same applies here, I used the example of genocide, and Jews are a good example. Once you have the person, attach it to number one.

Once you have the basic idea, wordplay, linguistic devices, etc. can be used.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell