Jump to topic:

History

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 5:59:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do you know what happened 164 years ago this summer.....
September 9, 1850? California became a state! The people had no electricity.
The state had no money. Almost everyone spoke Spanish.
There were gunfights in the streets. So basically NOTHING has changed except,
then the women had real tits and the men didn't hold hands.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 9:57:49 PM
Did you know that the Roman emperor Caligula wanted to name his horse the Consul, one of the most important offices in their government?
I think some Roman emperors were mentally unbalanced. Nero is another good example.
Also, the Romans would sometimes flood the Colosseum and have mock sea battles in it.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 8:35:51 PM
At 6/5/2014 9:57:49 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Did you know that the Roman emperor Caligula wanted to name his horse the Consul, one of the most important offices in their government?
I think some Roman emperors were mentally unbalanced. Nero is another good example.
Also, the Romans would sometimes flood the Coliseum and have mock sea battles in it.

Did you know that Roman Emperor Gaius Caligula made is horse a senator?

Did you know Caligula's general failure as Emperor can largely be attributed to his general madness. Though some historians will insist that Caligula's erratic behaviour was due to his lack of experience in power (he had not held any administrative positions prior to becoming Emperor), it's widely believed that Caligula was mentally ill, possibly with schizophrenia. His actions while Emperor are certainly not those of someone of sound mind?
"Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 9:21:30 PM
Did you know The Bank of Scotland, founded in 1695, is the oldest surviving bank in the UK. It was also the first bank in Europe to print its own banknotes, a function it still performs today?

Did you know The Encyclop"dia Britannica, the world's oldest surviving encyclopedia and one of the most scholarly of encyclopaedias, was first published between 1768 and 1771 in Edinburgh. The first nine editions (out of fifteen so far) were all edited in Scotland. From 1901 it was edited conjointly in New York City and London?

Did you know Edinburgh was the first city in the world with its own fire brigade, in 1824?

Did you know The Open Championship, the oldest of the four major golf championships, was first played in 1860 at Prestwick Golf Club, in Ayrshire, and was staged there annually for the first 12 years of its existence. The only two other golf courses that have hosted the Open Championship, Royal Troon and Turnberry, are also located in Ayrshire?

Did you know The Duke of Athol commands the only legal private army in Europe, the Atholl Highlanders, whose headquarters are at Blair Castle, Perthshire. Blair castle also has the distinction of being the last ever place in Britain to have been besieged, in 1746?

Did you know The Herald, Scotland's leading newspaper, is Britain's and one of the world's oldest continuously-published English-language newspapers. It was first published on 27 January 1783 as the Glasgow Advertiser?

Did you know Edinburgh is Europe's fifth largest financial centre?

Did you know Aberdeen Harbour Board is Britain's oldest recorded business, founded in 1136?
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 9:25:47 PM
At 6/7/2014 8:35:51 PM, scots wrote:
Also, the Romans would sometimes flood the Coliseum and have mock sea battles in it.

Did you know Caligula's general failure as Emperor can largely be attributed to his general madness. Though some historians will insist that Caligula's erratic behaviour was due to his lack of experience in power (he had not held any administrative positions prior to becoming Emperor), it's widely believed that Caligula was mentally ill, possibly with schizophrenia. His actions while Emperor are certainly not those of someone of sound mind?

*made his
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 9:40:02 PM
Did you know The modern game of golf originated in Scotland in the 15th century. First mentioned as 'gowf' in 1457, golf was originally played on a course of 22 holes. It was first reduced to 18 holes at the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in 1764, and other courses followed suit. St Andrews is dubbed the "home of golf" and exercises legislative authority over the game worldwide (except in the United States and Mexico)?
- John Lennon
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 10:38:36 PM

I believe it. I think the insane factor is true of more than one Roman emperor. Apparently, power can corrupt minds as well as morals.
Did you know that left-handed people were considered unlucky in Ancient Rome? That is where we get the word "sinister" from.
Did you know that almost any English word that has a "ph" in it is probably from Greek? For example, sophist, graph, photo, etc....
Did you know that in the 1800's, Latin textbooks were given to students who were less educated and could not read Greek?
I gather you are from Europe?
I am not, so I did not know all those interesting facts about Britain and Scotland. I have been to Paris, though, as you might gather from my avatar.
(Sorry about the friend request, I just like to know people a little more before I "friend" them. Nothing personal)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 6:39:16 AM
At 6/8/2014 10:38:36 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

I believe it. I think the insane factor is true of more than one Roman emperor. Apparently, power can corrupt minds as well as morals.
Did you know that left-handed people were considered unlucky in Ancient Rome? That is where we get the word "sinister" from.
Did you know that almost any English word that has a "ph" in it is probably from Greek? For example, sophist, graph, photo, etc....
Did you know that in the 1800's, Latin textbooks were given to students who were less educated and could not read Greek?
I am not, so I did not know all those interesting facts about Britain and Scotland. I have been to Paris, though, as you might gather from my avatar.
(Sorry about the friend request, I just like to know people a little more before I "friend" them. Nothing personal)

Aye I am from Europe more specifically Scotland. Paris is a pretty nice city. I did know some words in English came from greek (just not which ones). I did not know that in the 1800's latin textbooks were given to the less educated students.

Did you know that the Roman Empire was the 19th largest empire?

Did you know Iceland has the worlds oldest democracy (The Althing, the Icelandic parliament was established in 930)?

Did you know Skara Brae, on the island of Orkney, is the most complete Neolithic village in Europe. It is also the oldest building in Britain, dating from 3100 BCE?

Established in 1908, RAF Leuchars in Fife is the oldest continuously operating military air base in the world.
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 6:40:00 AM
At 6/9/2014 6:39:16 AM, scots wrote:

Aye I am from Europe more specifically Scotland. Paris is a pretty nice city. I did know some words in English came from greek (just not which ones). I did not know that in the 1800's latin textbooks were given to the less educated students.

Did you know Iceland has the worlds oldest democracy (The Althing, the Icelandic parliament was established in 930)?

Did you know Skara Brae, on the island of Orkney, is the most complete Neolithic village in Europe. It is also the oldest building in Britain, dating from 3100 BCE?

Established in 1908, RAF Leuchars in Fife is the oldest continuously operating military air base in the world.

(and I understand about the friend request)
- John Lennon
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 10:15:18 PM

To be honest, I didn't know all that. How are you on American history, though?
Did you know Patrick Henry was essentially a single parent to his six kids during the revolution? His first wife was mentally ill and quite dangerous, so he kept her in a comfortable apartment in his basement and had a trusted slave care for her. He did that so she would not have to go to mental asylum, which was basically a prison in those days. Patrick Henry was faithful to her until the day she died.
Did you know that Patrick Henry never planned his speeches ahead of time? He only spoke his mind.
Did you know that Thomas Jefferson had his bed in between two separate rooms, one for writing, the other as a plain bedroom? To get from one to the other, one had to either climb over the bed, or go out one door and come back in the other.
Did you know that Thomas Jefferson invented mechanically opening doors?

Scotland! Wow, that is awesome. Scotland is one of those countries I don't know a whole lot about, but love any taste of it I can. This sounds incredibly stupid, but I really like the Scottish accent. I butcher it, but I like how it sounds. I also love Scottish sounding music.

So, my guess is.... you like history?
I do. (just in case you might not have noticed. ;))

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:12:21 PM
did you know Australia was originally called New Holland?
did you know the first city to reach 1 million was London?
did you know the Titanic was built in Belfast?
Established in 1498, the Shores Porters Society in Aberdeen is the world's oldest transport company.
Did you know A Scot, William Paterson (1658-1719), was the instigator and a co-founder of the Bank of England. He later attempted, unsuccessfully, to establish Scotland's first colony, called 'New Caledonia', on the Isthmus of Panama to facilitate trade with the Far East.
Did you know In 1794 Scottish engineer William Murdoch built the first-ever house to be lit by gas?
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:13:45 PM
At 6/9/2014 10:15:18 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

To be honest, I didn't know all that. How are you on American history, though?
Did you know Patrick Henry was essentially a single parent to his six kids during the revolution? His first wife was mentally ill and quite dangerous, so he kept her in a comfortable apartment in his basement and had a trusted slave care for her. He did that so she would not have to go to mental asylum, which was basically a prison in those days. Patrick Henry was faithful to her until the day she died.
Did you know that Patrick Henry never planned his speeches ahead of time? He only spoke his mind.
Did you know that Thomas Jefferson had his bed in between two separate rooms, one for writing, the other as a plain bedroom? To get from one to the other, one had to either climb over the bed, or go out one door and come back in the other.
Did you know that Thomas Jefferson invented mechanically opening doors?

Scotland! Wow, that is awesome. Scotland is one of those countries I don't know a whole lot about, but love any taste of it I can. This sounds incredibly stupid, but I really like the Scottish accent. I butcher it, but I like how it sounds. I also love Scottish sounding music.

So, my guess is.... you like history?
I do. (just in case you might not have noticed. ;))

I guess I like history. Did not know those things of Henry and Jefferson
- John Lennon
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:54:42 PM
At 6/10/2014 2:12:21 PM, scots wrote:
Established in 1498, the Shores Porters Society in Aberdeen is the world's oldest transport company.
Did you know A Scot, William Paterson (1658-1719), was the instigator and a co-founder of the Bank of England. He later attempted, unsuccessfully, to establish Scotland's first colony, called 'New Caledonia', on the Isthmus of Panama to facilitate trade with the Far East.
Did you know In 1794 Scottish engineer William Murdoch built the first-ever house to be lit by gas?
I did know about the Titanic! (Now I don't feel completely stupid; :) I didn't know about the others)
Did you know that in Ancient Egypt, attendants of the Pharaoh smeared themselves with honey to attract flies away from him?
Did you know that on the day of his assassination, Lincoln signed the Secret Service into existence?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:40:34 PM
At 6/2/2014 5:59:39 PM, sadolite wrote:

So at least it hasn't gone backwards
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 4:27:54 AM
At 6/10/2014 10:54:42 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I did know about the Titanic! (Now I don't feel completely stupid; :) I didn't know about the others)
Did you know that in Ancient Egypt, attendants of the Pharaoh smeared themselves with honey to attract flies away from him?
Did you know that on the day of his assassination, Lincoln signed the Secret Service into existence?

did not know either of those things unfortunately.

Did you know The world's first infant school was opened by philosopher and pedagogue Robert Owen in New Lanark in 1816?

Did you know Upon its completion in early 1878 the Tay Rail Bridge was the longest in the world, but was destroyed by a storm in December 1879. The second Tay Bridge, opened in 1887, was slightly longer, with a length of 4,500 m (14,800 ft), and remained the longest bridge in the world until 1903. is still Britain's longest bridge?
- John Lennon
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 8:52:37 AM
At 6/10/2014 11:40:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/2/2014 5:59:39 PM, sadolite wrote:

So at least it hasn't gone backwards

I like your spin
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 9:23:16 PM
At 6/11/2014 4:27:54 AM, scots wrote:

Did you know The world's first infant school was opened by philosopher and pedagogue Robert Owen in New Lanark in 1816?

Did you know Upon its completion in early 1878 the Tay Rail Bridge was the longest in the world, but was destroyed by a storm in December 1879. The second Tay Bridge, opened in 1887, was slightly longer, with a length of 4,500 m (14,800 ft), and remained the longest bridge in the world until 1903. is still Britain's longest bridge?

I did not know any of that.

Did you know that the atomic bomb dropped at Nagasaki at the end of World War 2 was created in Eastern Washington?
They are still cleaning up the nuclear waste from making it.

Did you know that Vikings actually landed on Newfoundland (near Maine) long before Christopher Columbus did?

Did you know that the American Civil War was about State's rights, not slavery?

Did you know that the Romans originally thought Christians were cannibals because of Communion?

History is just so fun!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 2:57:04 AM
At 6/12/2014 9:23:16 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 6/11/2014 4:27:54 AM, scots wrote:

I did not know any of that.

Did you know that the atomic bomb dropped at Nagasaki at the end of World War 2 was created in Eastern Washington?
They are still cleaning up the nuclear waste from making it.

Did you know that Vikings actually landed on Newfoundland (near Maine) long before Christopher Columbus did?

Did you know that the American Civil War was about State's rights, not slavery?

Did you know that the Romans originally thought Christians were cannibals because of Communion?

History is just so fun!

Did know the bomb was dropped on Nagasaki at the end of world war two as well as the one dropped on Hiroshima. did not know where the one dropped on Nagasaki was created though. I did know that Vikings landed on Newfoundland before Christopher Columbus, they also landed on Greenland. I did know that the American Civil war was fought for states rights. I did not know that the Romans thought Christians Cannibals because of communion.
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 3:07:42 AM
Did you know The Glasgow Celtic were the first British football club to win the European Cup, beating Inter Milan at the 1967 final?

Did you know The Bell Rock Lighthouse, built off the coast of Angus between 1807 and 1810, is the world's oldest surviving sea-washed lighthouse?

Did you know Andrew Carnegie was willing to buy the freedom of the people of the Philippines for $20 million - exactly what the USA paid for it?

Did you know King Zog I of Albania survived an estimated 55 assassination attempts and is the only modern leader to ever fire back?
- John Lennon
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 7:29:47 PM
At 6/13/2014 3:07:42 AM, scots wrote:
Did you know The Glasgow Celtic were the first British football club to win the European Cup, beating Inter Milan at the 1967 final?

Did you know The Bell Rock Lighthouse, built off the coast of Angus between 1807 and 1810, is the world's oldest surviving sea-washed lighthouse?

Did you know Andrew Carnegie was willing to buy the freedom of the people of the Philippines for $20 million - exactly what the USA paid for it?

Did you know King Zog I of Albania survived an estimated 55 assassination attempts and is the only modern leader to ever fire back?

No I did not. I'll rack my brains and get back to you with something else obscure.......

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 9:44:00 PM
At 6/13/2014 7:29:47 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

No I did not. I'll rack my brains and get back to you with something else obscure.......

Here we go,

Did you know that in the 1700's, it was popular for women to wear ten-foot tall wigs?
Did you know that they wore bonnets around them that were so enormous that many theaters would have signs requesting ladies to remove their hats since nobody could see around them?
Did you know that Eric Liddell got the nick-name "the Flying Scotsman," when he was late for a steamer and had to jump for it? He just barely made it.
Did you know that in the early 1800's it was considered immodest if a woman showed either her elbows or ears?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 8:24:53 AM
At 6/13/2014 9:44:00 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 6/13/2014 7:29:47 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Here we go,

Did you know that in the 1700's, it was popular for women to wear ten-foot tall wigs?
Did you know that they wore bonnets around them that were so enormous that many theaters would have signs requesting ladies to remove their hats since nobody could see around them?
Did you know that Eric Liddell got the nick-name "the Flying Scotsman," when he was late for a steamer and had to jump for it? He just barely made it.
Did you know that in the early 1800's it was considered immodest if a woman showed either her elbows or ears?

I knew that they wore great wigs but did not know some theaters had signs requesting ladies to remove their hats so people around them could see. I did know Eric Liddell got the nick name "the Flying Scotsman" , when he had to jump for his late steamer.
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 8:49:02 AM
Did you know In 1788 the Austrian army attacked itself and lost 10,000 men?

Did you know In 1917, Margaret Sanger was jailed for one month for establishing the first birth control clinic?

Did you know In early Rome a father could legally kill anyone in his family?

Did you know Animals were put on trial in medieval times and routinely sentenced to death?

Did you know Before the mid-19th century dentures were commonly made with teeth pulled from the mouths of dead soldiers?
- John Lennon
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 6:44:08 PM
At 6/14/2014 8:49:02 AM, scots wrote:

Did you know In 1917, Margaret Sanger was jailed for one month for establishing the first birth control clinic?

Did you know Animals were put on trial in medieval times and routinely sentenced to death?

Did you know Before the mid-19th century dentures were commonly made with teeth pulled from the mouths of dead soldiers?

I knew about the Rome fact and the last one.

Did you know that Laura Ingalls Wilder actually had a brother at one point? Apparently he had a tragic death, so she left him out of her books.

Did you know that when a Roman child became an adult, he or she would sacrifice all their childhood toys and amulet called the "bulla" on the family altar?

Did you know that in the 1800's when they were stringing telegraph wires across the American west, they had a big problem with buffalo using the poles as scratching posts? Sometimes the animals would scratch so hard they would knock the poles over.

Did you know that in the 17th century, colonist on the east coast of America referred to all land west of the Appalachian mountains as "Orange County?"

Did you know that when pioneers were crossing the west, they would use dried buffalo patties as fuel because there was hardly any wood?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 8:04:18 PM
At 6/14/2014 6:44:08 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 6/14/2014 8:49:02 AM, scots wrote:

I knew about the Rome fact and the last one.

Did you know that Laura Ingalls Wilder actually had a brother at one point? Apparently he had a tragic death, so she left him out of her books.

Did you know that when a Roman child became an adult, he or she would sacrifice all their childhood toys and amulet called the "bulla" on the family altar?

Did you know that in the 1800's when they were stringing telegraph wires across the American west, they had a big problem with buffalo using the poles as scratching posts? Sometimes the animals would scratch so hard they would knock the poles over.

Did you know that in the 17th century, colonist on the east coast of America referred to all land west of the Appalachian mountains as "Orange County?"

Did you know that when pioneers were crossing the west, they would use dried buffalo patties as fuel because there was hardly any wood?

interesting facts the only one I knew the one about the Romans and their toys.
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 8:28:49 PM
Did you know that a Japanese man by the named Chiune Sugihara saved 6.000 Jews from Hitler- and was dismissed from diplomatic service because of it?
- John Lennon
scots
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 8:31:21 PM
Did you know Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes, was an actual seeker of justice himself?

He investigated two closed cases and lead to the exoneration of the crimes for which two men were accused. Doyle even paid most of the appeal costs for one German man after his defense of him proved successful.

Not only did he investigate on his own, but his police work also helped to create a better system that would make it more difficult for injustices to be done in the future.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a prime example of a true life hero that was honored in his own work and in later writings from other people. Some of his cases were even converted into television dramas or movies.
- John Lennon
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2014 8:57:02 PM
At 6/14/2014 8:31:21 PM, scots wrote:
Did you know Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes, was an actual seeker of justice himself?

He investigated two closed cases and lead to the exoneration of the crimes for which two men were accused. Doyle even paid most of the appeal costs for one German man after his defense of him proved successful.

Not only did he investigate on his own, but his police work also helped to create a better system that would make it more difficult for injustices to be done in the future.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a prime example of a true life hero that was honored in his own work and in later writings from other people. Some of his cases were even converted into television dramas or movies.
I didn't know that, but it would make sense. That's really interesting.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam