Jump to topic:

Comedians who aren't terrible

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:34:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
All right, this isn't funny on its own, but it's a legit quesiton.

Given that Tosh is a d-bag (and really not funny IMHO, but I know lots of people think he is), that it's coming out that Louis C.K. is a (arguable) sexual perdator, Fred Armisen may be abusive, and that even Dr. Huxtable himself is an alleged rapist...

Are there any really funny comedians who aren't awful people?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 2:50:37 PM
At 6/2/2015 2:34:33 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Given that Tosh is a d-bag (and really not funny IMHO, but I know lots of people think he is), that it's coming out that Louis C.K. is a (arguable) sexual perdator, Fred Armisen may be abusive, and that even Dr. Huxtable himself is an alleged rapist...

Seinfeld is great. I love Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee. Also, the Louis CK thing seems pretty weakly supported as of yet, so there may still be hope. I like Tina Fey and enjoy Amy Schumer's show, though I don't enjoy her stand-up at all.

I try to know as little about celebrities as possible. They are just people and people are the worst. In fact, celebrities are in a far worse position than the average person in terms of having upstanding moral character, as they 1) are wealthy and 2) are surrounded by panderer's and isolated from the general public. Add the fact that we are talking about comedians here, who tend to be eccentric and socially awkward already, and the odds become slimmer.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 5:24:02 PM

Jimmy Carr.... makes the most offensive jokes I've ever heard, but actually a standup guy.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 5:26:14 PM
At 6/2/2015 5:24:02 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Jimmy Carr.... makes the most offensive jokes I've ever heard, but actually a standup guy.

Y'know, I've seen some of his stuff, and he is pretty funny. And he seems genuinely semi-contrite about the tax-avoidance scheme.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:17:26 PM
Steven Wright has great dry humor. Dylan Moran is an Irish comedian that's great too.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:36:51 PM

Try Trevor Noah. I discovered him recently.

https://www.youtube.com...
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 12:09:50 AM

Without knowing them personally, the best anyone can do is speculate. My favorite comedians are Stephen Lynch, and the late George Carlin. I would have been willing to bet that Carlin was a good person. Same goes for Lynch, though I'd be less certain, just because his comedy is largely on the crude side, and such a person is very hard to peg.

In any case, I'd guess the majority of comedians are decent people, just as the majority of people are decent people.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 12:32:30 AM

I liked Dave Chappelle and Stephen Colbert.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 1:24:43 PM
Steve Martin has always seemed like a good guy. So does Will Ferrell. I've heard that Eddie Murphy is also a pretty decent guy as well.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:00:19 AM

Jim Gaffigan, Brian Regan, Gabriel Iglesias, Bill Burr, Russel Peters, Mike birbiglia
they are some of my personal favourites.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:11:10 PM

Any links to these accusations (not bill cosby, I've heard those)? Also you may be conflating a comedian's personal life with the funny-ness of his comedy.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:21:25 PM
At 6/9/2015 11:11:10 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Any links to these accusations (not bill cosby, I've heard those)? Also you may be conflating a comedian's personal life with the funny-ness of his comedy.

Conflating assumes that I'm confusing them. I'm not. It's perfectly possible to be funny without being a d-bag, my point was to try to find folks who aren't d-bags, AND who are funny. Shouldn't be rocket surgery.

As to the accusations:

Armisen: http://gawker.com...
Louis C.K.: http://gawker.com...

http://defamer.gawker.com...

Do I need posts for Tosh? He hasn't done anything explicitly awful, I just find his humor not-funny and offensive; offensive isn't inherently bad, he's just awful offensive. His worst controversy isn't actually even something I think he was at fault as much as some folks to (http://www.thewire.com...)

Just to be clear, since I think I wasn't clear (which was my failing): I wasn't equating Tosh with the other categories. I just think Tosh is not funny and thinks offense = humor. I was trying to head Tosh suggestions off at the pass, so to speak. He is not, so far as I'm aware, on the same level as the others I noted and I shouldn't have done anything to equate. My bad, if that was confusing (which you didn't specify it was, I just reread what I had said and I realized how it may have come across).
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:31:22 PM
At 6/9/2015 11:21:25 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Conflating assumes that I'm confusing them. I'm not. It's perfectly possible to be funny without being a d-bag, my point was to try to find folks who aren't d-bags, AND who are funny. Shouldn't be rocket surgery.

As to the accusations:

Do I need posts for Tosh? He hasn't done anything explicitly awful, I just find his humor not-funny and offensive; offensive isn't inherently bad, he's just awful offensive. His worst controversy isn't actually even something I think he was at fault as much as some folks to (http://www.thewire.com...)

Just to be clear, since I think I wasn't clear (which was my failing): I wasn't equating Tosh with the other categories. I just think Tosh is not funny and thinks offense = humor. I was trying to head Tosh suggestions off at the pass, so to speak. He is not, so far as I'm aware, on the same level as the others I noted and I shouldn't have done anything to equate. My bad, if that was confusing (which you didn't specify it was, I just reread what I had said and I realized how it may have come across).

Your OP seems to say if a comedian is a d bag or creeper in RL then they aren't funny on stage. I've never heard of the allegations against CK or Armisen and Gawker has me hesitant to believe. But you're looking for a comedian you can laugh at without disliking him as a person. In that case you may find yourself a short list. I wouldn't be surprised if most comedians live dark lives, it's where their comedy comes from.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:33:43 PM
At 6/9/2015 11:31:22 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 6/9/2015 11:21:25 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

As to the accusations:

Your OP seems to say if a comedian is a d bag or creeper in RL then they aren't funny on stage. I've never heard of the allegations against CK or Armisen and Gawker has me hesitant to believe. But you're looking for a comedian you can laugh at without disliking him as a person. In that case you may find yourself a short list. I wouldn't be surprised if most comedians live dark lives, it's where their comedy comes from.

I don't see how you could argue that my OP seems to say that they aren't funny.

Nor do I think it's a necessarily a short list. There's a difference between "unpleasant" or "dark", and "sexual predator".
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:44:23 PM
At 6/9/2015 11:33:43 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Your point about Tosh hints at it. But this is more related to the subjectivity of humor.

Nor do I think it's a necessarily a short list. There's a difference between "unpleasant" or "dark", and "sexual predator".

"known sexual predator" you mean. As I said before, you want to laugh without knowing their personal history, which is a bit of a conflation. Who can we recommend to you without fear of eventual discovery of sexual misconduct or some other offense by your standard?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:53:52 PM
At 6/9/2015 11:44:23 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Your point about Tosh hints at it. But this is more related to the subjectivity of humor.

Tosh isn't funny.

I've never thought he was funny.

That said, I could see if it appeared I was conflating "terrible person" with "unfunny". I think he's unfunny and a d-bag, but I don't think conflate "terrible person personally" with "not funny".

"known sexual predator" you mean. As I said before, you want to laugh without knowing their personal history, which is a bit of a conflation. Who can we recommend to you without fear of eventual discovery of sexual misconduct or some other offense by your standard?

"Known" is tough, since it's all still allegations. But I don't think it should be that difficult to find someone who's funny and not alleged to be a sexual predator.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 12:00:36 AM
At 6/9/2015 11:53:52 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Tosh isn't funny.

I think he is.

Hence the subjectivity of the matter.

That said, I could see if it appeared I was conflating "terrible person" with "unfunny". I think he's unfunny and a d-bag, but I don't think conflate "terrible person personally" with "not funny".

Do you think CK is funny?

"Known" is tough, since it's all still allegations. But I don't think it should be that difficult to find someone who's funny and not alleged to be a sexual predator.

Try dimitri matin and Bo Burnham.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 12:08:05 AM
At 6/10/2015 12:00:36 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 6/9/2015 11:53:52 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Tosh isn't funny.

I think he is.

Hence the subjectivity of the matter.

Do you think CK is funny?

Eh. He's definitely of the "awkwardness = comedy" school. But yeah, I've laughed hard at some of his stuff.

Try dimitri matin and Bo Burnham.

I do like those two...
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 12:31:04 AM

Louie Gohmert. He does what he says IRL.
praise the lord Chin Chin
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 12:40:21 AM
At 6/10/2015 12:31:04 AM, 18Karl wrote:

Louie Gohmert. He does what he says IRL.

Get thee to the politics section!