Jump to topic:

Mafia Study

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 7:42:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As I'm cataloguing games I will be doing a study of what makes a good fast paced mafia game. Is it a lot of players? Is it not a lot of players? Is it replacing inactive players at a fast pace? Is it setting time limits? Is it affected by other games going on? Is it affected by the time of year? Do long or short night phases affect it? Does the moderators activity (updating vote counts, doing stories, etc.) affect it.

Does the amount of mafia experience matter? Do new players post more than senior members?

Etc.

All of this will be cataloged and discussed after I run some analytics on past and recent games.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 9:38:01 PM
At 2/15/2011 7:42:00 PM, askbob wrote:
As I'm cataloguing games I will be doing a study of what makes a good fast paced mafia game. Is it a lot of players? Is it not a lot of players? Is it replacing inactive players at a fast pace? Is it setting time limits? Is it affected by other games going on? Is it affected by the time of year? Do long or short night phases affect it? Does the moderators activity (updating vote counts, doing stories, etc.) affect it.

Does the amount of mafia experience matter? Do new players post more than senior members?

Etc.

All of this will be cataloged and discussed after I run some analytics on past and recent games.

This could be really useful. I would assume that the pace of the game depends a lot on individual player activity and how often mods replace inactive players. These seem to be the two most important factors, just imo
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 9:40:41 PM
My opinion is the experience of the players as well as the roles.

I believe beginners with interesting roles will be more active than experienced players with boring roles/no roles.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:26:35 AM
At 2/15/2011 9:40:41 PM, askbob wrote:

I believe beginners with interesting roles will be more active than experienced players with boring roles/no roles.

I think after a few games you know who the active/inactive people tend to be. I can't think of a time a mafia game was held up by myself (unless I had no interwebs) or you (unless your account was getting deleted lol). I also can't remember a game that untitled_entity signed up for that she ever wound up playing in and didn't need to be replaced. Even though bluesteel is a new player, you can see he is pretty active. Zetsubou and feverish frequently go MIA, etc.

I personally think the biggest problem is that the mafia's strategy always seems to be lurking or avoiding the spotlight (and that is indeed a useful strategy); however, with Epic Mafia they can't rely on that because the day phases go by so fast. If you play with a small group you KNOW is going to be pretty active, people are forced to participate more. It seems there is no urgency to act. In Zets' current small game, there's what - like 14 players and 6 real time days went by and they got a No Lynch by default. Wtf? Make a decision lol IT'S JUST A GAME if you lose you lose but keep it movin... heh.
President of DDO
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 9:48:41 PM

Eh you see in larger games once you start pushing past 20 players that there will be trouble getting that many people to play consistently and actively. Plus I don't think making mafia into 'cool role game' is the way to go. Roles should supplement discussion, not be in place of it. You see it often enough when mods go silly on roles - players stop being generally active and wait for the night phases to 'fix' whatever side they are on.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:08:46 PM
At 2/17/2011 9:48:41 PM, Puck wrote:

Eh you see in larger games once you start pushing past 20 players that there will be trouble getting that many people to play consistently and actively. Plus I don't think making mafia into 'cool role game' is the way to go. Roles should supplement discussion, not be in place of it. You see it often enough when mods go silly on roles - players stop being generally active and wait for the night phases to 'fix' whatever side they are on.

I dunno, TV's recent Roald Dahl vs. Dr Seuss game had some pretty crazy roles but there was still plenty of discussion during the DP's.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)