Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 11:03:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
GAME OVER – MAFIA WIN

b/c this NP:
nags forced lovelife to vote for herself
nags was NK
3 players left, it takes two to lynch, lovelife can't vote anymore, so mafia can't be lynched; also, askbob could have just VTL'ed lovelife right away for the win

Here is my real time analysis of the game as it was unfolding as well as everyone's characters:

1. Danielle - You are Michael Phelps. One picture of you holding a bong causes fans to turn against you. You are a hated townie – it takes one less vote to lynch you. You win with the town.
2. Askbob - You are Ron Artest. Rival fans easily rile you and cause you to blow up. You are a suicide bomber. At any point - including the DP - you may activate your power, killing yourself and one targeted townie. You win with the mafia.
3. Atheism - You are Brett Favre. It's really hard to make you retire (from the game). You are bulletproof and cannot be night killed. You win with the town.
4. Rogue - You are Milos Raonic. You are not high enough in the rankings to matter. You are a vanilla townie. You win with the town.
5. nonentity - You are Tiger Woods. You sleep around and are the mafia whore. Each night phase, you may role-block one player. You win with the mafia.
6. xxdarkxx - You are Aaron Rodgers. You investigate your opponents by watching game film obsessively. You are the cop. You win with the town.
7. lovelife - You are Derek Fisher. You mostly languish in the background. You are a vanilla townie. You win with the town.
8. Nags - You are LeBron James. Your teammates on the US Olympic team elect you as their leader; you play the politician behind the scenes. Each NP, you may force one player to vote for another player or themselves. You win with the town.

DP1

Town started off with one of the worst possible scenarios for DP1 – both vanillas claimed and the hated townie claimed, telling mafia who all the important roles were, by process of elimination. Then nags was also made to claim (politician), outing both the investigate role and the protective role to the mafia for sure, through process of elimination, although they didn't know yet which was which (or whether it was a bulletproof or doctor, which was bad for them b/c they wanted to fake claim bulletproof). But 4 out of 6 townies role claiming right away was problematic in this particular game and usually is, in general.

Rogue is VTL'ed.

NP1

Nags announced DP1 that he would use his power on xxdarkxx. Mafia should have blocked atheism and killed xxdarkxx, not the other way around, since if xxdarkxx died, nags' power could not be confirmed and might have gotten nags killed. It also would have netted them the cop.

Night actions
Mafia tries to kill Atheism (bulletproof)
xxdarkxx tries to investigate askbob but is role blocked
nags makes xxdarkxx vote for himself

DP2

Mafia could have won already, when there were two votes on xxdarkxx (nags made him vote for himself, then VTL'ed him):

1. Use both their votes to hammer xxdarkxx, 6 players left.
2. Get a NK, 5 players left (the NK could fail, but they had a role blocker and were guessing who to kill correctly at the time, since their first kill failed).
3. Use both their votes to lynch Danielle (the hated townie) since it would take only 2 votes to lynch her next DP, 4 players left, mafia win.

They would simply have had to make sure to be the first online to VTL Danielle before one of them got VTL'ed by the three townies.

Town calls for a mass claim. Askbob says he can't be online all night, with a legitimate excuse (congrats on the internship askbob). Nonentity had planned on claiming bulletproof and askbob was certain (for some reason) that Atheism was doctor. Game at this point may come down to who logs on first for the mass claim, Atheism or nonentity.

Nonentity claims bulletproof first. Obviously, she shouldn't have done so since any other role would have been safe to claim EXCEPT bulletproof and doctor. Also, had she claimed second, she could have claimed doctor.

xxdarkxx is also pressured to reveal and reveals cop

Nonentity is VTL'ed.

NP2

Askbob decides to kill Danielle (may have been a bad strategic decision, since when there are 3 players left, askbob could have won by hammering her himself)
xxdarkxx successfully investigates askbob

DP3

xxdarkxx had successfully investigated askbob as guilty, but is lynched before he even has a chance to speak. If he was given a chance to speak, town would have won. Even if they still lynched him, when he was confirmed cop, askbob would have been killed. It's almost impossible to objectively believe at this point that nags is actually town, having used his power to cast 2 of 3 votes on xxdarkxx, who had claimed cop, and urging others to hammer him, without even letting him talk first. Askbob had already planned on getting nags lynched so this should make things easy for him.

Townies should obviously, in future, ask any cop claim who that player investigated before lynching that player, even if the town thinks the claim is fake – just in case.

NP3

Nags makes lovelife vote for herself. With 3 players left and lovelife being forced to vote for herself, askbob cannot be lynched next DP. Nags has lost the game for the town. Unless askbob tries to NK Atheism again, he wins it for the mafia.

If nags had chosen askbob successfully or declined to use his power, the town could still have won.

GAME OVER
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 12:39:18 PM
If lovelife didn't act like a retard on DP3 and just voted for xxdark, I would have used my vote on Askbob. Oh well.

...And since I was night killed, should my politician vote even count?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 12:48:16 PM
At 2/25/2011 12:39:18 PM, Nags wrote:
If lovelife didn't act like a retard on DP3 and just voted for xxdark, I would have used my vote on Askbob. Oh well.

Yes, all night actions happen simultaneously, not one before another, so role actions still happen regardless of whether you die. If mafia NK happened first, doctor roles wouldn't matter. It's also common for the vig to kill someone and also die in the same night.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 12:49:13 PM

lol, you still claim her delay was "retarded" even after seeing the results? You guys should have waited for xxdarkxx to announce his investigation results, considering he claimed cop...

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 1:03:26 PM
At 2/25/2011 12:49:13 PM, bluesteel wrote:

lol, you still claim her delay was "retarded" even after seeing the results? You guys should have waited for xxdarkxx to announce his investigation results, considering he claimed cop...

Except me and Danielle already agreed that xxdark should be voted for if nonentity showed up guilty.

And your roles were stupid and showed no consistency, bluesteel. Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre are essentially exact opposites, yet they're both townies. My role talked about the US Olympic team, yet LeBron was the only one in the game on the US Olympic team. LeBron James and Brett Favre are easily more hated than all the other three mafia members. I think you just showed a lack of knowledge in sports, which really hindered my play. If you're going to make a sports-themed mafia, at least know what you're talking about.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 2:07:07 PM
At 2/25/2011 1:03:26 PM, Nags wrote:
At 2/25/2011 12:49:13 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Except me and Danielle already agreed that xxdark should be voted for if nonentity showed up guilty.

And your roles were stupid and showed no consistency, bluesteel. Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre are essentially exact opposites, yet they're both townies. My role talked about the US Olympic team, yet LeBron was the only one in the game on the US Olympic team. LeBron James and Brett Favre are easily more hated than all the other three mafia members. I think you just showed a lack of knowledge in sports, which really hindered my play. If you're going to make a sports-themed mafia, at least know what you're talking about.

I didn't want the characters to mean much of anything, just to fit the roles. If I made all the mafia on one basketball team and all town on another, for example, with only 8 players, there'd be one mass claim, the 5 starters for town would lynch everyone else, game over.

And Brett Favre and LeBron are only hated depending on what area you're from. Cleveland obviously isn't that happy with LeBron, but that doesn't make him hated everywhere. He has an awful lot of fans.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 2:08:39 PM
And why are you so pissy nags - you had an easy win in this game as long as you didn't lynch xxdarkxx without even giving him a chance to speak.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 2:27:53 PM
At 2/25/2011 2:07:07 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I didn't want the characters to mean much of anything, just to fit the roles.

Then maybe you should have told us that - a bit misleading, eh?

And Brett Favre and LeBron are only hated depending on what area you're from. Cleveland obviously isn't that happy with LeBron, but that doesn't make him hated everywhere. He has an awful lot of fans.

Brett Favre was just voted the most hated NFL player and LeBron has the sixth-highest negative rating Q-score in all of sports.

At 2/25/2011 2:08:39 PM, bluesteel wrote:
And why are you so pissy nags - you had an easy win in this game as long as you didn't lynch xxdarkxx without even giving him a chance to speak.

What he said wouldn't have made a difference. Me and Danielle agreed. Besides, his investigation as cop would have been irrelevant. He would have chose between three people and all of them would have shown up innocent - because the Godfather turns up innocent. I'm not pissy, you just didn't execute the game properly.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 2:40:55 PM

I didn't "act like a retard" I didn't even know of that plan!
After you told me I took half a min to check it out, and then voted with you.

f-ck off, don't blame your short comings on me.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 2:43:08 PM
At 2/25/2011 2:40:55 PM, lovelife wrote:

Lol, you admit to not reading the previous day phase thread and I'm the one who has short-comings? Okay.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 2:49:23 PM
At 2/25/2011 2:43:08 PM, Nags wrote:

Lol, you admit to not reading the previous day phase thread and I'm the one who has short-comings? Okay.

Lol, I read everything but the last page cause I was doing rl stuff. I'm more active in the games (and tend to read it more) than half the other people that play consistently.

Actually I did want to vote askbob but I didn't know why I saw your plan, forgot about the cop role (that last bit is mostly my fault) and ignored that. If I had stalled it longer we could have won.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 2:55:25 PM
At 2/25/2011 2:49:23 PM, lovelife wrote:

Lol, I read everything but the last page cause I was doing rl stuff. I'm more active in the games (and tend to read it more) than half the other people that play consistently.

Convenient.

Actually I did want to vote askbob but I didn't know why I saw your plan, forgot about the cop role (that last bit is mostly my fault) and ignored that. If I had stalled it longer we could have won.

Hindsight bias.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 3:07:15 PM
At 2/25/2011 2:55:25 PM, Nags wrote:
At 2/25/2011 2:49:23 PM, lovelife wrote:

Convenient.

Yes, it really does help out.

Hindsight bias.

sure. w/e
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 6:56:21 PM
@nags

You can dislike my characters if you want; that's fine. I didn't spend tons of time making this game because it was mostly a test. But it's still the case that you single-handedly lost this one for the town. Whether you and Danielle thought it was a viable theory that xxdarkxx made up nonentity's fake claim based on his hometown (I wonder if this was part of askbob's plan), I'm almost 100% sure that Danielle would not have been okay with you lynching a cop the next DP before that person had said who they had investigated. That person could be lying, but in case they are telling the truth, there's no reason to sacrifice important info. And if askbob's fake claim for nonentity faked you out, that has nothing to do with my characters. That just means askbob played you.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 8:08:44 PM
If i had made that bs role I would have used Chris Osgood not Jimmy Howard. and how stupid do you think I am to make up a claim like that. Good job losing the game. This is why you DON'T LYNCH with only 9 damn post in the thread.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 9:47:56 PM
Nags quit being butthurt. You lost. It is not bluesteels fault.

Also bluesteel should make a rankings similar to what is done in the beginner game. They are interesting to read.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 10:37:18 PM
RANKINGS

1. askbob - created a fake claim for nonentity that convinced nags and Danielle that if nonentity was mafia, xxdarkxx was mafia too. Successfully read the mood at the time to kill Danielle, the voice of reason, and knew that nags would most likely get xxdarkxx lynched next DP. His fake role claim of watcher was also very good and convinced Danielle - using his fake character to go along with his fake role. At the time, I thought it was dumb for him to kill Danielle and not the cop, who was trying to investigate him, and this tactic was definitely risky, but it was likely his only path to victory. Because he claimed an investigative role, killing xxdarkxx, the cop, and revealing xxdarkxx's role to everyone would likely have gotten askbob lynched the next DP, especially since nags and lovelife claimed they wanted to go after askbob next. Great decision-making and took the right risks.

2. Danielle – played her role well; claiming early managed to keep suspicion off of her the whole game. She played the hated townie role very well, well enough to merit askbob killing her for her playing ability, since it definitely wasn't for her role. Her role actually benefited askbob, so killing her was major kudos to her playing ability.

3. xxdarkxx – investigated the correct person twice in a row. He had good instincts about who mafia was. Too bad he was killed before he could say his results. He might have wanted to nip the "xxdarkxx must have come up with nonentity's role" theory in the bud in the previous DP, but he couldn't have foreseen this getting him lynched without a chance to defend himself.

4. Atheism – played his bulletproof role well. Got the mafia to target him NP1 and prevented a NK. Didn't make any helpful deductions for the town, but also didn't screw up.

5. Nonentity – had good instincts about who to roleblock. Used her role well. Saved askbob from being lynched on DP2 by blocking the cop. But her fake claim did not work out well. She should have re-thought her bulletproof claim in light of there only being one townie role left un-claimed. She should have tried to reveal after Atheism, in which case she could have chosen doctor, or anything she wanted.

6. lovelife – cast the lynching vote on xxdarkxx without giving him a chance to report who he investigated. Should have waited even if she thought dark's claim was fake. Also revealed her vanilla townie role DP1 without being prompted; she would have been more useful un-revealed because mafia might have targeted her to be role blocked instead of cop.

7. nags – killed the cop without hearing askbob was guilty first. Pushed lovelife to lynch the cop without waiting for the cop's report. Thought lovelife's hesitation to lynch someone after a couple seconds made her look guilty and used his power to force her to VTL herself, losing the game for the town. He should have realized with so few players that using his power wrong would end the game, but he missed this key deduction. He made great deductions in danielle's quickfire game, but his deductions this game just seemed to be consistently off.

Rogue – unranked b/c not enough play time.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 11:31:49 PM
Congrats on a successul game bluesteel!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 11:51:40 PM
At 2/25/2011 11:31:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Congrats on a successul game bluesteel!

Thanks! And I'm glad it's convinced feverish to run a third mafia game.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 11:53:57 PM
see, I'm really not that great of a player.

2nd to last if you don't count unranked.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 12:28:35 AM
At 2/25/2011 11:53:57 PM, lovelife wrote:
see, I'm really not that great of a player.

2nd to last if you don't count unranked.

I think you're throwing games to feed your low self-esteem in relation to mafia.

How many people have to tell you you're a good player before you believe it?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...