Holiday Mafia - Day Phase 1

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:08:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
- RULES -

1. No copy and pasting your role, or anything else that you and I might talk about in your role PM in the day phase thread (unless you have permission from me to clarify something). Doing so will result in an automatic mod kill. You may also not post screen shots of your role PM in the day phase, obviously. Communicate all questions with me directly through your role PM.

2. Participate regularly or expect to be replaced. Pay attention to the game and to get your night actions in as soon as possible, in order to keep the game moving :)

3. Try to remember to unvote before casting a new vote, and make sure to vote in bold.

- INFO -

Badger has replaced timbeech.

Replacements: timbeech, tvelalott

The theme for this game is American Holidays, Celebrations and Popular Days. A cohesive list of examples can be found here ( http://www.madmanmike.com... ); however, the characters in this game are not limited only to that list.

Dead mafioso can still participate in the mafia's PM.

Note: I will not be revealing a dead player's affiliation until the following day phase.

You need 8 votes to lynch. The DP will end on Saturday, March 12 @ 3:45 pm CST.

- LIVING PLAYERS -

01. Vi
02. Askbob
03. m93samman
04. innomen
05. Koopin
06. bluesteel
07. badger
08. Alex
09. OreEle
10. xxdarkxx
11. mattrodstrom
12. annhasle
13. Thaddeus
14. Chrysippius
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:22:02 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:18:47 PM, innomen wrote:
Okay then, let's get started.....VTL? Who's the newest NooB?

lol, this seems like a common strategy in each game. It would be Thaddeus or timbeech, but timbeech got replaced.

VTL Thaddeus I guess
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:25:12 PM
In case he's too n00bish to know what's happening:

people are pressuring you b/c you're a n00b to character claim, to see if you mess up. Don't freak out like mattrodstrom did last game and refuse to claim - it's common to randomly pressure people for character claims.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:27:10 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:25:12 PM, bluesteel wrote:

people are pressuring you b/c you're a n00b to character claim, to see if you mess up. Don't freak out like mattrodstrom did last game and refuse to claim - it's common to randomly pressure people for character claims.

Of course, you probably shouldn't claim if you have a really powerful role because that'll put a target on your back.

Just holiday-claim, no need for role.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:27:55 PM
VTL Thaddeus for pressure, then.

Nice to actually be around when one of these games starts :)
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:27:59 PM
It understand the tactic, though I question its validity, as you have less idea of how I might react for any allegiance. However, as a purely pseudo-random hazing thing it makes as much sense as any systematic vote-to-get-the-game-going does.
That said; I can assure you I win with the town.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:28:40 PM

Good point VTL Matt
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:28:52 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:27:10 PM, m93samman wrote:

Of course, you probably shouldn't claim if you have a really powerful role because that'll put a target on your back.

Just holiday-claim, no need for role.

I was planning to do this, don't worry. I have played mafia before.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:30:40 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:24:11 PM, innomen wrote:
I agree that its a really bad tactic, but it gets things started. I generally fear the more experienced players.

I'd rather try to find things out that the mafia already know. Like what kind of holidays, as I asked in the sign up thread.

The mafia have most likely already shared what they are with each other, so they know some info about if everyone is a particular day, or if they may be a symbol of the day, or what.

I think it would be worth brainstorming what we think might be mafia holidays.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:31:57 PM
Vote Count

Thaddeus (bluesteel, Chrysippus) -- 2/8 votes needed to lynch

mattrodstrom (innomen) -- 1/8 votes needed to lynch
President of DDO
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:32:54 PM
I like innomen's thinking on this. VTL matt

Lynch-o-tron

<2/8> Thaddeus - Bluesteel, Chrysippus

<2/8> mattrodstrom - innomen, m93samman
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:33:37 PM
or however Danielle wants to format it. 2 players have 2 votes now
:
:
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:33:56 PM
you guys are idiots. No holiday claiming as it will indicate your role. I mean seriously.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:34:44 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:33:56 PM, askbob wrote:
you guys are idiots. No holiday claiming as it will indicate your role. I mean seriously.

If you managed to get my role from my holiday I would be very impressed.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:36:00 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:34:44 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

I can guess exactly what it is. It's not hard at all really. You should not have claimed.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:36:05 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:30:40 PM, OreEle wrote:
I agree that its a really bad tactic, but it gets things started. I generally fear the more experienced players.

I'd rather try to find things out that the mafia already know. Like what kind of holidays, as I asked in the sign up thread.

The mafia have most likely already shared what they are with each other, so they know some info about if everyone is a particular day, or if they may be a symbol of the day, or what.

Dunno about that. I could easily be thought of as a mafia holiday, and i am not mafia. Considering it's Danielle's game we don't know how she'd do it. She's not fond of religion so who knows she could make those mafia days, or she isn't real fond of nationalism, so July 4th could be mafia. It could be tricky doing that until we get one mafia and work out a possible pattern from that.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:36:48 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:34:44 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

unvote - I think I know it, but I'm a Jew.

Hate to go right when the thread is starting to get active, but I g2g. I'll be on much later tonight.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:37:53 PM

Presumably, if a holiday were "bad," people wouldn't celebrate it; the interpretation obviously varies greatly from one person to the next. Festivus and Halloween have their detractors, and they have those who think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year to some, and a over-hyped, crass, commercial racket to others. Easter turns off a lot of our atheists, Boxing Day doesn't mean much to those of us living south of Canada.

I don't know how useful such a list would be, in other words.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:38:10 PM
I'm gonna say the following are Mafia holidays:

Kwanza
Halloween
Presidents Day
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:39:34 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:37:53 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

Presumably, if a holiday were "bad," people wouldn't celebrate it; the interpretation obviously varies greatly from one person to the next. Festivus and Halloween have their detractors, and they have those who think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year to some, and a over-hyped, crass, commercial racket to others. Easter turns off a lot of our atheists, Boxing Day doesn't mean much to those of us living south of Canada.

I don't know how useful such a list would be, in other words.

Exactly unless we had some kills where we can find a pattern, but otherwise it's just a dangerous guessing game.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:40:04 PM
Vote to lynch Chryspius

He's clearly mafia.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:40:39 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:38:10 PM, askbob wrote:
I'm gonna say the following are Mafia holidays:

Kwanza
Halloween
Presidents Day

Probably. But I don't know about the other two... I'd throw up tax day or something. Maybe April Fools cuz so many people get pissed off that day
:
:
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:41:27 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:40:04 PM, askbob wrote:
Vote to lynch Chryspius

He's clearly mafia.

Based on what? I think I'm missing something, but we're hardly 3 pages in
:
:
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:41:30 PM
Vote to lynch Chryspius

He's clearly mafia.

Cool story, bro.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:42:00 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:36:05 PM, innomen wrote:

Dunno about that. I could easily be thought of as a mafia holiday, and i am not mafia. Considering it's Danielle's game we don't know how she'd do it. She's not fond of religion so who knows she could make those mafia days, or she isn't real fond of nationalism, so July 4th could be mafia. It could be tricky doing that until we get one mafia and work out a possible pattern from that.

That's true, it will be hard. But you know that the mafia is talking about it and figuring it out in their PM, so by us trying to figure it out, we are not helping them.

Personally, I don't think my holiday would actually give away my role, since my holiday could be one of several different roles, though I would like to save it, since it is kind of obscure enough that a mafia might try to claim it for cover (and so I can counter claim).

I will say mine is a religious holiday, so I don't think religion would be the divider. I would guess that maybe holidays which have been corrupted by materialism might be mafia (mine slightly is, but not nearly as much as many others).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:42:08 PM
Vote to lynch Chryspius

He's clearly mafia.

That just confuses me..
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.