Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:30:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Mafia won.

=============

Roles:
nonentity: Golden Snitch: Jester
You are the Golden Snitch. You are an annoying golden orb that tends to hold up Quidditch games. Unlike normal Jesters, your goal is to hold off getting lynched for a little while. Get within two votes of being lynched on two separate DP's, and you win, even if you are subsequently lynched. You are third party, of course, and will come up guilty upon investigation.

Logic_on_rails: Sorting Hat: Investigator
You are the Sorting Hat. You can determine one player's affiliation each NP. You win with the town.

Danielle: Dumbledore: JOAT
You are Dumbledore, the wise old headmaster of Hogwarts. Your power is virtually unmatched in the books, and so you are the Jack-of-All-Trades in this game. Each night you can choose one player to protect, investigate, or kill. You win with the town.

Bluesteel: You Know Who (Lord Voldemort): Possessor
You are the evil Lord Voldemort, also known as Tom. Each night you can choose a player to possess. You may then use their role power (if any) for that one night on any player you choose. You will not be informed what the player's power is, or if they have one. You win with the mafia.

Thaddeus: Argus Filch: Hated Townie
You are the foul Filch, hated by everyone. It takes one less vote to lynch you. You win with the town.

xxDarkxx/Mongeese: Neville Longbottom: Doctor
You are Neville Longbottom, the skillful young herbologist. Each night you can choose one player to protect. You win with the town.

Nags/askbob: Alastor Moody: You are really Barty Crouch Jr. using a Polyjuice Potion to impersonate the famed vigilante wizard Alastor. You come up not guilty when investigated. You perform the night kill for the mafia. You win with the mafia.

Innomen: You are Draco Malfoy, Bulletproof Mafia. You are just generally nasty, but not particularly effective. However, as much as some may want to strangle you, you cannot be killed at night. You win with the mafia.

Vi_Veri/nonentity: Deluminator: You put out lights wherever you go making it impossible to see. You may visit one player each night, hiding them from investigation. Any investigation on you will come back inconclusive. You win with the mafia.

Koopin: Resurrection Stone: You are a tiny rock with the power to communicate with the dead. You may choose one (and only one) player that has died to ask who killed them, and your answer will be correct. It is extremely dangerous to use your power, though, as you run a 25% chance of dieing the next NP. You win with the town.

Lovelife: Vernon Dursley: You are a Muggle; an ordinary person with nothing at all magical about you. You win with the town.

OreEle:Cedric Diggory: You are a fine Quidditch player; pity you died so tragically. You have no special powers. You win with the town.

Badger: Dudley Dursley: You are an annoying, spoiled, worthless, fat Muggle; but you're better than some, if only by not being capable of psychopathic mass-murder. You win with the town.

M.Torres: Sonnets of the Sorceror: You are a Forbidden Book that makes anyone who reads you to forever after speak in limericks. Unfortunately, I cannot translate that literally into a role power, but here's what you can do. If you are killed in the NP, you cause the person who killed you to speak in rhymes for the remainder of the game. I need not point out that you ought not get yourself vigkilled. You win with the town.

===========
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:42:13 AM
I lol'd when I read bluesteels role. From no on we should just consider him to be mafia. This is like, the 4th game he has not been town.
kfc
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:42:48 AM
I really wish I could have been town. I called out my suspicion of bluesteel in DP2. I was also suspicious of askbob for the same reason (when they're town, they're more helpful). And after DP2 ended I realized that if Innomen was as ignorant of Harry Potter as he claimed he was, he wouldn't have known his character was from Ravenclaw unless (1) it was in his Role PM or (2) he Google'd it. He wouldn't have needed to Google it so quickly because (1) nobody was pressuring him and (2) nobody else had claimed their house. So in DP3 I was going to ask OreEle if it said he was Hufflepuff in his Role PM but by then I had died.

And the mafia voted for Badger.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:43:19 AM
Town was sucky, and Lovelife just screwed the town with odd behavior. However, huge kudos to Danielle, at the end you had every mafia listed. You really held up the town with pretty much no help.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:45:08 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:42:31 AM, Danielle wrote:
Meh, so I was completely right. No biggie. Let's move on to the next game.

fyi, Chrys said if you targeted me with your vig kill, I would have died, even if I switched your role
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:45:30 AM
Question for mod: If there were 4 living mafia yesterday, why did the game continue? There should never have been a day phase to begin with.

Town:
Danielle
Mongeese
Logic
M.Torres

Mafia:
Bluesteel
Askbob
nonentity
Innomen

The game should have been over; the mafia would have forced a No Lynch. The mafia wins when they equal HALF the players.

Innomen was pathetically obviously mafia toward the end (way too quiet, and way too pushy about Vi being mafia after our convo). I think it's more than obvious the mafia was way over-powered (3 vanillas, a hated townie, etc.) but meh who's got next game? Alex?
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:46:51 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:45:30 AM, Danielle wrote:
Question for mod: If there were 4 living mafia yesterday, why did the game continue? There should never have been a day phase to begin with.

Town:
Danielle
Mongeese
Logic
M.Torres

Mafia:
Bluesteel
Askbob
nonentity
Innomen

The game should have been over; the mafia would have forced a No Lynch. The mafia wins when they equal HALF the players.

Innomen was pathetically obviously mafia toward the end (way too quiet, and way too pushy about Vi being mafia after our convo). I think it's more than obvious the mafia was way over-powered (3 vanillas, a hated townie, etc.) but meh who's got next game? Alex?

When there is a vig and a doc, game doesn't end when it's a tie in the DP, since town can still win during the NP.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:47:00 AM
My internet is completely screwy so I don't know what happened to the rest of my post...

Anyway, Danielle basically carried the town. My one question though is: WTF LOVELIFE??
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:48:55 AM
Lol. As I said on day phase 1 - lovelife can suck my d!ck :)

Her and Zetsubou should get married and have retard mafia babies.
President of DDO
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:49:11 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:43:19 AM, innomen wrote:
Town was sucky, and Lovelife just screwed the town with odd behavior. However, huge kudos to Danielle, at the end you had every mafia listed. You really held up the town with pretty much no help.

Or maybe you should realize I play completely diff than most people.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:49:56 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:49:11 AM, lovelife wrote:
Or maybe I should realize I just suck a$shole.

Yeah I'd say that's about right :)
President of DDO
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:51:32 AM
This poem is dedicated to all vanillas, everywhere.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

-Dylan Thomas

===============

I made mistakes in the setup of this game, under-powering the town with all those vanillas. Frankly, I was afraid of overpowering the town with the roles that I invented for this game; I didn't realize that those vanillas would become such an idee fixe with the town. I've never seen a town obsess so much on killing vanillas before.

This could have been a very winnable game for town, with three investigative roles (and Danielle's gave not only affiliation but vague role as well; e.g. "x is town, with a protective role."), one of which was a necromancer; a role that pinned the killer after death; and a doctor. Some very sloppy thinking and a lack of doing the math doomed the town, and by the time they caught on it was 4/4, with JOAT's night kill the only thing keeping them in the game.

IMHO Bluesteel was the most important player in this game; he led the mafia in selecting reasonable false claims early on, did a lot of research (you should see the list of potential character claims he posted in the PM!), and outed the JOAT NP1. He and the mafia used his role fairly well; though they seemed a bit puzzled that the "vig" didn't kill after the first night.

LVP goes to Lovelife, who hammered himself after she had been confirmed innocent. Cannot blame the town loss entirely on that, but it aided greatly. He should have fought that lynch to the end.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:51:48 AM

What?? You completely attacked someone for no reason, other than the fact that they claimed to know nothing about Harry Potter (which Innomen also claimed, by the way, but you chose Danielle).

Everyone thought you looked like mafia but was afraid to lynch you because it was too obvious you were mafia. I knew you weren't Jester because I was Jester. But you completely fvcked the town, and you fvcked me from trying to get the town to VTL me because they were so focused on the vanillas.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:52:56 AM
we were pretty overpowered, but town had many good roles. You had a non-one-shot vig, koopin's power found an automatic mafia with only 1/4 chance of him dying the NP after announcing his result. M.Torres could have automatically found a mafia for you if killed, unless that person went completely silent, which would have been just as obvious.

We got lucky really. Danielle, you FOS'ed me for questioning the vig kill on lovelife DP1. I just randomly guessed that you were vig b/c you were so sure about there being a vig.

We also got lucky on our kills. Initially we were upset that we killed a hated and a jester, but it looked better than having targeted Torres. And we got lucky killing koopin DP1 - really lucky.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:54:22 AM
Damn Danielle is on my case.

Anyway I'll reveal the WTFishness now.

I was trying to figure out Danielle's exact playing style.
So I could see when she's guilty, and know when to trust what she says.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:54:55 AM

Play? You're good at playing mafia, but town you, at least in this case, had no rhyme or reason to your play. You almost seemed to want the town to lose because you were getting a little pissy at the end.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:55:05 AM
town was overpowered
Lwerd we were purposefully acting suspicious the last DP. You would have had a chance at winning had you let it reach a No Lynch, and killed bluesteel
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:56:17 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:45:30 AM, Danielle wrote:

Most mafia games I've played, mafia win when they get half+1. Plus you had a night kill, and there was still a doctor; if the mafia targeted someone the doctor protected, and you killed one, the town could still win.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:56:54 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:51:48 AM, nonentity wrote:

What?? You completely attacked someone for no reason, other than the fact that they claimed to know nothing about Harry Potter (which Innomen also claimed, by the way, but you chose Danielle).

Everyone thought you looked like mafia but was afraid to lynch you because it was too obvious you were mafia. I knew you weren't Jester because I was Jester. But you completely fvcked the town, and you fvcked me from trying to get the town to VTL me because they were so focused on the vanillas.

I thought you might be role cop nonentity after you said so adamantly that lovelife wasn't jester. That's the main reason we killed you (well, also lack of a better, for sure NK). I didn't think of the possibility that you could be the real jester.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:57:31 AM
only reason it seemed underpowered is because we discovered JOAT on NP1, used her to kill off the most powerful investigative role and rendered her role pretty useless.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:57:38 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:55:05 AM, askbob wrote:
town was overpowered
Lwerd we were purposefully acting suspicious the last DP. You would have had a chance at winning had you let it reach a No Lynch, and killed bluesteel

As far as she knew, there were only 3 mafia and her role kept getting switched to someone else anyway.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:57:43 AM

That has been noted. Most people attempt not to die.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:59:27 AM
At 3/30/2011 11:57:31 AM, askbob wrote:
only reason it seemed underpowered is because we discovered JOAT on NP1, used her to kill off the most powerful investigative role and rendered her role pretty useless.

She thinks we used her on Thadd. I guess Chrys didn't inform her how we used her power.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 11:59:43 AM
That said, now is your chance to criticize the mod. How'd I do with my first game?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 12:02:03 PM
At 3/30/2011 11:59:43 AM, Chrysippus wrote:
That said, now is your chance to criticize the mod. How'd I do with my first game?

Besides the mod mistake with Vi (which Danielle was right i did flip shitt to get chrys to partially correct the error) I think it was pretty good. Some of the vanillas could have been flavored more (what I did with Luna) but otherwise it was very good. Mod did a great job on being vague to mafia when we asked questions. Very well done.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 12:02:23 PM
At 3/30/2011 11:57:43 AM, Chrysippus wrote:

Well, the vanillas in this game could have been helpful by attempting TO die. If lovelife had claimed role cop, we'd prob have let "the vig" kill her or killed her ourselves DP1. OreEle even suggested this option before lovelife claimed.

Better than what she did. Lovelife, you realize it takes special skills to get investigated innocent and yet act so suspicious that you get lynched as godfather? lol. That's unusual.

Not that I'm complaining...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 12:02:31 PM
At 3/30/2011 11:59:43 AM, Chrysippus wrote:

better than I'd do I'd say.

Inno, I do have to say I act how mafia normally act when I'm town, and like town when I'm mafia. Duh, its going to seem like I'm better when I'm mafia.

I don't do well with not having information, and it makes me want to get it, and it makes me question everything.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 12:03:54 PM
At 3/30/2011 12:02:23 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/30/2011 11:57:43 AM, Chrysippus wrote:

Well, the vanillas in this game could have been helpful by attempting TO die. If lovelife had claimed role cop, we'd prob have let "the vig" kill her or killed her ourselves DP1. OreEle even suggested this option before lovelife claimed.

Better than what she did. Lovelife, you realize it takes special skills to get investigated innocent and yet act so suspicious that you get lynched as godfather? lol. That's unusual.

Not that I'm complaining...

Not special skills, just piss off danielle.