Jump to topic:

News Mafia - ENDGAME

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 3:17:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. M.Torres: Megyn Kelly – You shamelessly work those good looks to sway the ratings in your favor: http://www.ihatethemedia.com... garnering support from both sides of the aisle. http://www.huffingtonpost.com... At any time during the DP, you can sway someone's vote to anyone of your choosing. You win with the mafia.

2. Askbob: Barbara Walters – you have had a long career and are extremely popular and well-liked. http://en.wikipedia.org... You are the popular townie – it takes one more vote to lynch you.

3. Koopin: George Stephanopolous – anchor, blogger, political advisor to Bill Clinton. You can do it all. You are the Jack-of-all-trades. You have a one-shot vig kill, cop, and protect. You win with the town.

4. Innomen: Rachel Maddow – this fiery female pundit does not pull any punches, ruthlessly pursuing her right-wing opponents. You are the liberal vigilante. You win with the town.

5. Danielle: Sean Hannity – You hide behind Alan Colmes and pretend you give equal coverage to both sides. Alan Colmes protects you from critics and you thus fool ALL investigative roles, convincing them you are "Fair and Balanced." However, Colmes will leave your bullsh!t show on DP3 and then you're on your own, exposed to the world as a right-wing shill. You win with the mafia. http://www.metacafe.com...

6. LaissezFaire - Chris Matthews – You are so annoying! Your voice . . . your program . . . your face. http://www.harpers.org... You are the hated townie – it takes one fewer votes to lynch you.

7. Darkkermit - Keith Olbermann – in a segment on your former show Countdown, you were always able to identify the "worst person in the world." Each night, you may investigate one player. You win with the town.

Actually = paranoid cop; all results are "worst person in the world."

8. m93samman - Jon Stewart – Conservative pundits, particularly O'Reilly, claim that young people actually get their news from your show; even though you are supposedly a comedy program, you do a great deal of fact checking on the right-wing and are good at identifying lies. http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com... You are the lie detector. Each NP, submit one statement to test, with the link to the statement from the game thread or identify the PM the statement is from. You win with the town.

9. Lovelife - Katie Couric – As you age, you become less attractive and your ratings go down. http://entertainment.gather.com... On DP1, you start with 3 votes, on DP2, you have 2 votes, and on DP3, one vote, and on DP4, zero votes and zero every NP after that. Your extra votes do not show up in the vote count but will count towards lynching. You win with the town.

10. Thaddeus - Brian Williams – Named the Walter Cronkite of the 21st century. http://en.wikipedia.org... Walter Cronkite was beloved by all and was known as "the most trusted man in America." You are the beloved princess – if you are lynched, the next DP will be skipped; if you are night killed, the next NP will be skipped. You win with the town.

11. LeafRod - Bill O'Reilly – You have the unique ability to shout so loud than no one else can get a word in edge-wise. By screaming over another pundit for the entire night phase, you have the ability to role block the targeted individual. You win with the mafia.

12. badger - Anderson Cooper – you do lots of dangerous sh!t, like swimming with sharks and traveling to Egypt amid the fighting between protesters and pro-Mubarak forces. Yet none of it seems to phase you. You are bulletproof. You win with the town.

Mafia victory?
In all fairness, this is really a tie. The town so ridiculously owned on DP1 that I gave the mafia a conversion because I still wanted to see if the PM's would help the town in a scenario where they don't hold all the cards (you can complain, but this game was an experiment after all). Apparently the PM's didn't help - they just made everyone really paranoid.

The town really won the game DP1 and correctly guessed all the mafia. Got danielle to be cc'ed and correctly lynched her. Correctly guessed that leafrod's role was BS and that Torres' delay in claiming made him mafia. The problem was that the mafia did not take advantage of the PM's at all DP1 and only the townies were PMing and getting them to trust each other. Good job to everyone, especially badger and lovelife.

I tried to balance the game as much as possible before starting it, but I balanced it as if it were a normal mafia game. With all the voting roles and M.Torres power activating during DP, the mafia should have been quite powerful, even with only 3 players. Especially with lovelife having multiple votes DP1, giving them a potential easy lynch (they almost got one on Thad, after lovelife claimed, all they needed as one more person to VTL him), or askbob might have tried to confirm his role DP1, allowing Torres to hammer him. In addition, the paranoid cop should have thrown town off.

Mafia MVP - danielle

Once I gave the mafia conversion, Torres wanted to use it on lovelife, even though I made clear that town would learn of the conversion. Danielle correctly understood that town would lynch either badger or lovelife most likely if it was announced. Instead she chose innomen, which won this for the mafia. Had they chose any other role, it shouldn't have affected the game that much. The vig would have likely killed leafrod, giving town a lot of leeway to find M.Torres and the person who was converted. Inno was the only person they could have chosen that easily swung the game in their favor.

Innomen - for targeting askbob instead of leafrod, even though he was town at the time. It's like he was psychic and knew he'd be converted. This really helped his soon-to-be team. (another reason the conversion shouldn't have affected the game this much - if inno used his power on someone more suspicious)

Town MVP's

badger - great job getting town to trust him initially and really good idea with having all the claims go through him. Too bad he didn't trust darkkermit getting role blocked and didn't tell town that his mistrust wasn't based on any hard evidence.

lovelife - great job getting town to trust her as well, even though she had a very strange role. Good partnering with badger and great job realizing that neither she nor badger were converted.

askbob - great instincts DP1. Called danielle out immediately. Good job not trying to confirm his role because that would have gotten him lynched (using M.Torres power).

I'm not sure I like this PM thing. It puts mafia at a huge disadvantage DP1. Maybe if mafia were more aware of the need to start PM's with townies DP1 and roles for mafia were made to mess with town's communication or spy on PM's, this would give this game format some interesting flavor. And it seemed like all the townies had a lot of fun with this format. I'll use your guys feedback to see if this style of game is worth running again.

Also, sorry mafia for the mistake with koopin. He chose m93samman to investigate; I was so shocked at the apparent waste of his power that I told him his result without thinking. I realized like right after that that you guys wouldn't know who he targeted and might want to role block him. Won't make that mistake again.

Feel free to critique the mod here, and definitely want your feedback on the format and whether it is worth doing again in future games.

Thanks all for playing and making this a successful concept test.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 3:18:56 AM
The townies lying to each other was really interesting as well (koopin claiming doctor to badger, askbob claiming Sean Hannity hated to lovelife). A role for mafia that could spy on people would make things more interesting, forcing more townies to lie about their roles, depending on who they are talking to. This had the potential to make things very interesting, even though it didn't end up being that important in this game.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 3:21:59 AM
In case it wasn't clear, Innomen was the one converted. LeafRod used him to bolster his fake claim. That should have potentially been a red flag on who was converted, since leafrod's role was so weird and would have really overpowered town (role copier). It would have meant town essentially started with two lie detectors. Or could potentially have 4 extra votes DP2 (copying lovelife).
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 4:29:14 AM
At 3/31/2011 3:21:59 AM, bluesteel wrote:
In case it wasn't clear, Innomen was the one converted. LeafRod used him to bolster his fake claim. That should have potentially been a red flag on who was converted, since leafrod's role was so weird and would have really overpowered town (role copier). It would have meant town essentially started with two lie detectors. Or could potentially have 4 extra votes DP2 (copying lovelife).

It was a weird impulse to knock off askbob - but was i appointed by you bluesteel to be mafia, or chosen? It would be odd to remove the power of the vig from the town after the first dp.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 5:04:43 AM
At 3/31/2011 4:29:14 AM, innomen wrote:
At 3/31/2011 3:21:59 AM, bluesteel wrote:

It was a weird impulse to knock off askbob - but was i appointed by you bluesteel to be mafia, or chosen? It would be odd to remove the power of the vig from the town after the first dp.

chosen. by danielle. It was a good and lucky choice. Not only were you the vig, but you knew who the lie detector was.

Oh yeah, m93samman investigated leafrod. He would have busted him, had he not been killed or had his identity been kept secret.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 7:43:13 AM
I liked the PM style game, i wouldn't mind a few more to see where this type of game can go.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 7:46:09 AM
also you should reveal the PMs from the mafia
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:21:10 AM
yeah too bad i didn't do that stuff..

i was thinking it was you all right, innomen, you crafty homosexual you.

what did koopin do with his role so if he didn't protect himself?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:24:02 AM
got myself a bit carried away with thaddeus. only really cos he backed leafrod.. and that bit about how i figured the mafia wouldn't have expected a story to come up..

crafty homosexuals!
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:26:36 AM
At 3/31/2011 11:24:02 AM, badger wrote:
got myself a bit carried away with thaddeus. only really cos he backed leafrod.. and that bit about how i figured the mafia wouldn't have expected a story to come up..

crafty homosexuals!

and i wouldn't mind only he was being nothing but sensible in backing leafrod.
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:32:44 AM
At 3/31/2011 11:21:10 AM, badger wrote:
yeah too bad i didn't do that stuff..

i was thinking it was you all right, innomen, you crafty homosexual you.

what did koopin do with his role so if he didn't protect himself?

It was a little tricky to shift gears like that. Also all the PM's keeping them straight was a nice challenge. When you and lovelife removed me from th PM'si thought i was cooked.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:33:35 AM
badger, sorry i dind't trust you.

Crafty mod you, favoring the mafia, :p
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 12:12:44 PM
Actually, i'm a little curious about Bluesteel's experience modding the game. How hard was it to walk through all the PM's? What did you think about the game from your perspective.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 12:18:31 PM
At 3/31/2011 12:12:44 PM, innomen wrote:
Actually, i'm a little curious about Bluesteel's experience modding the game. How hard was it to walk through all the PM's? What did you think about the game from your perspective.

he needn't really have read any of them if he didn't want to.. though i hope he did. i'd be interested to hear an answer.
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 12:23:19 PM
At 3/31/2011 12:18:59 PM, badger wrote:
i most certainly would not have if it was my game.

I give you credit, where i started a PM without including Bluesteel by accident and you stopped it abruptly.

then started another Pm without me :-P
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 1:00:27 PM

Initially I tried to record who started a PM with whom, who lied to whom, who fake claimed to whom, but it got too cumbersome, so I just skimmed them all to see what was going on.

The game looked fun from my perspective. At least on the town side, I think the PM's got people to be more active than normal, giving the town something to do other than random pressure and FOSing/posting theories on everyone. I thought it was really funny when the townies started lying to each other - it's not a bad tactic, but it adds something completely new to the game.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 1:03:33 PM
At 3/31/2011 1:00:27 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Initially I tried to record who started a PM with whom, who lied to whom, who fake claimed to whom, but it got too cumbersome, so I just skimmed them all to see what was going on.

The game looked fun from my perspective. At least on the town side, I think the PM's got people to be more active than normal, giving the town something to do other than random pressure and FOSing/posting theories on everyone. I thought it was really funny when the townies started lying to each other - it's not a bad tactic, but it adds something completely new to the game.

I can imagine it would be funny to see the lying.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 1:33:27 PM
At 3/31/2011 1:00:27 PM, bluesteel wrote:

haha yeah i suppose.

so how likely will we see a game like this again?

I liked it anyway. I think the whole PM thing was great. I got worried when I had like 5 messages after being gone an hour for dinner at one time. Only like 1-2 were about this game tho, so it was all good :p
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 1:58:53 PM
At 3/31/2011 1:43:22 PM, badger wrote:
yeah i'd like to see a few more of these. i'd like to have a go as mafia.

I want to be a bulletproof jester plz
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 7:03:36 PM
LOL

Lovelife and Badger should have totally figured out how much BS my claim was. A regular cop would've been able to investigate the traitor. My role was totally unnecessary.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 7:24:36 PM
At 3/31/2011 7:03:36 PM, M.Torres wrote:
LOL

Lovelife and Badger should have totally figured out how much BS my claim was. A regular cop would've been able to investigate the traitor. My role was totally unnecessary.

Yeah, I stopped reading in depth at that point, but good job convincing them of that role. It seemed like complete BS, especially after darkkermit came back innocent.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 7:36:37 PM
At 3/31/2011 7:24:36 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 3/31/2011 7:03:36 PM, M.Torres wrote:
LOL

Yeah, I stopped reading in depth at that point, but good job convincing them of that role. It seemed like complete BS, especially after darkkermit came back innocent.

Let me use and abuse them, so that's all that matters.

And Blue, honestly, the only reason I wanted Lovelife was for that list. I am lucky I got such a good claim! Honestly, when we were in the next DP and Badger was pressuring me, I just thought "Fvck it" and pretended to be an investigator. I was SO happy to find out Badger didn't believe Kermit. Ha ha. So that was close and lucky and awesome.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:14:10 PM
At 3/31/2011 7:46:09 AM, askbob wrote:

I'd do that for you Askbob, but how do you get the whole PM into one image like I've seen you do?

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:16:07 PM
At 3/31/2011 8:14:10 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 3/31/2011 7:46:09 AM, askbob wrote:

I'd do that for you Askbob, but how do you get the whole PM into one image like I've seen you do?

Get Firefox

1. https://addons.mozilla.org...
2. Take a complete page screenshot
3. www.picturepush.com upload without an account
4. Get the direct link to the full image and post it here