What is a Mafia Game - Round 3 - Signups

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 10:05:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello new members of this site.

So you've probably noticed "mafia" being thrown around the site but don't understand any of it and have avoided playing games for fear of looking stupid and losing.

Here's a basic explanation.

Mafia is a forum game.

It is started by a moderator, or a user who decides to start a game.

The moderator then conducts "signups" where people put there name onto a list. Then once all people have signed up, the moderator randomly assigns 1/3 (roughly) of the players onto the mafia team, and then the other 2/3 are signed onto the townie team. None of the teams are announced but are done individually through Private Messages or PMs.

There are two phases in mafia: The day phase and the night phase.

The townies do not know what team any other player is on. However the mafia know who is on their team and can communicate with them in one group private message set up by the moderator. The mafia can communicate in this PM throughout the entire game. Usually the mafia get to "kill" a player during the "night phase"

Basically the mafia decide as a whole who they want to remove from the game. Once they decide the "night phase" is over and the day phase begins. During the night phase no one may post in the forum.

During the day phase everyone can post in the forum. All players decide to "lynch" or kill one play during the day phase. This decided democratically via votes.

A majority of votes are needed to lynch a player. Once the player has been lynched he is removed from the game and the night phase begins.

Whoever survives at the end is the winner.

Some quick things to know:

1. The night phase is not done actually at "night" in real life. It just is a name for a part of the game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

2. The day phase is not necessarily done during the "day" in real life. It is just a name for a part of he game where the mafia decide on who to remove from the game.

3. The mafia are unknown to the townies

4. Other townies are unknown to the townies.

5. The mafia know who the mafia are.

6. The mafia via process of eliminationo know who the townes are.

7. When the mafia decide to remove someone during the night phase it is known as a "night kill"

8. When all the players decide during the day phase to vote someone out of the game it is known as a "lynch"

9. Games last as long or as quickly as it takes for players to make decisions on their votes.

10. Votes can be changed until a majority is met.

11. Sometimes other powers are thrown in to mix things up however this is generally the theme.

I will be conduction an amateur mafia game in which only new players can play in. I will explain every part of the game. Essentially this is a training for new members who wish to try out mafia.

This is for any beginner who has not graduated in the previous set of beginner games. And 1 or 2 players who graduated but who only played 2 games last time.

Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 10:21:19 AM
As you know, I will offer to be a replacement or if you need any help filling in anywhere (even if it is just keeping track of votes).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:17:37 AM
1. ravynkelly
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:30:41 PM
I love these newbie games. Good work askbob.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:38:34 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
Snipe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:38:52 PM
Sign me up - I read the last set of newbie games you did, looked like tons of fun so I decided to sign up and play this time.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:39:36 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Snipe
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:40:09 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:38:52 PM, Snipe wrote:
Sign me up - I read the last set of newbie games you did, looked like tons of fun so I decided to sign up and play this time.

Wow, you lurk like a mother fvcker don't you.
You joined a YEAR ago, you've never done a debate and that was only your second post.

VOTE TO LYNCH SNIPE!!!

Muh threads
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:48:19 PM
Ok sure I'll play.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:49:32 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Snipe
4. phantom
Snipe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:52:32 PM
At 3/31/2011 9:40:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Wow, you lurk like a mother fvcker don't you.
You joined a YEAR ago, you've never done a debate and that was only your second post.

VOTE TO LYNCH SNIPE!!!

Yeah, I read a lot of the debates done here and some of the forums too. Now that it looks like I might start actively participating on the site I should work on some debating.

That's 1 vote out of the 0 required. That's a lynch.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:32:10 PM
So many first time players...

o.O;

Muh threads
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:56:51 PM
At 3/31/2011 11:32:10 PM, tvellalott wrote:

o.O;

you don't think they just randomly sign up? I recruit
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 11:57:16 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Snipe
4. phantom
5. DictatorIsaac
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 12:16:20 AM
At 3/31/2011 11:56:51 PM, askbob wrote:

o.O;

Oh, derp derp. :P

Muh threads
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 2:41:50 AM

o.O;

You actually recruit? Guess I was non-recruit who started playing. By the way, if you need extra players for games 2 or 3, I'll be quite happy to play. Still, let the new players have their turn first.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:27:50 AM

o.O;

Askbob is raising an army!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:32:05 AM
I'll be a replacement, and I'll play in the other games if you need me to.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:12:13 AM
bump
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 11:28:01 AM
I guess I'll play...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 12:38:32 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Snipe
4. phantom
5. DictatorIsaac
6. devinni
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 12:44:33 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Snipe
4. phantom
5. DictatorIsaac
6. devinni
7. Denote
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 12:54:42 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Snipe
4. phantom
5. DictatorIsaac
6. devinni
7. Denote
8. headphonegut
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 2:44:12 PM
If there's still room I'll play.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 2:45:12 PM
1. ravynkelley
2. Andromeda_Z
3. Snipe
4. phantom
5. DictatorIsaac
6. devinni
7. Denote
8. headphonegut
9. socialpinko

I need 5 experienced players as I'm pretty sure half the people that signed up aren't online anymore.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 2:49:28 PM
Yeah.

1. ravynkelley - 3 days ago
2. Andromeda_Z - 12 hours ago
3. Snipe - 1 week ago
4. phantom - 7 hours ago
5. DictatorIsaac - 1 day ago