Jump to topic:

Worlds largest mafia game?

ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 8:38:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So during my break from DDO, I signed up for this massive comparison in Dayton, Ohio, USA called "The World Mafia Tour" and it essentially was a massive mafia game where the winners moved on to the next round and at the end of the day, a group of about 4 people were crowned champs. The setup was that 1 game of mafia contained 24 people maximum with 1 judge officiating. The judge would take votes, NAs etc. Then depending on which side won, those who were on that side would live to play another game. They continually played games until 4 or less people remained. Where then the number of deaths acquired by the four would be a tie-breaker as to who is the overall champion. So suppose, person A and B both are the last People remaining. Person A has died 4 times and B 2 times. Person B would win then. I think that this format would be great for a tournament of champions thing here on DDO. Thoughts?

Also: I did rather well getting 4th overall (I made it to the final four but lost on tie-break).
My Results (as they appear on my scoring sheet):
Game 1: Win (Killed by participant 34) - Mafia
Game 2: Win (Survived) - Mafia
Game 3: Win (Killed by Mafia 12) - Healer
Game 4: Win (Killed by participant 1121) - Villager
Game 5: Win (Killed by role default) - Human Shield
Game 6: Win (Survived) - Mafia
Game 7: Win (Survived) - Villager
Game 8: Win (Killed by Mafia 54) - Detective
Game 9: Win (Won by Accomplishing Role) - Jester
Game 10 (Finals): Top 4 Qualifier (Survived) - Healer
Tie-Break:
4th Place - Christian May (#236) Pembroke Pines, FL (5)
3rd Place - Michael Whittington (#1412) Dayton, OH (3)
Runner-up - Kimberly Olson (#563) Springfield, IL (2)
Champion - Doug Mayer (#945) Clarksville, TN (1)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 1:41:06 AM
Well done. A mafia tournament would be outrageously difficult to make work; we simply don't have enough players.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 2:28:41 AM
A few problems that could become a problem:

Side equality

I saw somewhere that, without roles, it is mathematically an even game if there are 10,000 players and 50 mafia members* (which is much different than what we play at).

*My numbers might not be right there.

Players advancing

Any system will have a problem. Even naturally, advancing 15 people in one game and 3 in another and 1 in another seems nonsensical. Also, mafia is such a high variance game that it seems impossible to get the best players to win consistently.

Although props to your 10 game run!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 10:04:15 AM
Maybe if everyone playing were strangers it would be more telling, but I don't think a system like this would depict the best mafia player by any means. Luck would be 80% of it here. Why? One example is that the same people are always targeted. Another is that mods always SAY they give out roles randomly, but it's clear they don't. Askbob, Bluesteel and I will never wind up on the same team so you know if one of us is mafia then the other two are likely innocent. We are also prime night targets whereas other players (say Leafrod) always fade away into the background because they're not seen as threats. Clearly if the best players are sought to be eliminated first then the remaining people aren't necessarily the best but just those who rode on the coat tails of those who actually play and thus get killed first. Lol just stuff like that. I think people can tell who the better players are (a final 4) without having to do a tournament... but it could be fun, though I'm not joining any tournament you run lol you don't have the best success with that :P
President of DDO
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 5:21:48 PM
At 4/13/2011 10:04:15 AM, Danielle wrote:
Maybe if everyone playing were strangers it would be more telling, but I don't think a system like this would depict the best mafia player by any means. Luck would be 80% of it here. Why? One example is that the same people are always targeted. Another is that mods always SAY they give out roles randomly, but it's clear they don't. Askbob, Bluesteel and I will never wind up on the same team so you know if one of us is mafia then the other two are likely innocent. We are also prime night targets whereas other players (say Leafrod) always fade away into the background because they're not seen as threats. Clearly if the best players are sought to be eliminated first then the remaining people aren't necessarily the best but just those who rode on the coat tails of those who actually play and thus get killed first. Lol just stuff like that. I think people can tell who the better players are (a final 4) without having to do a tournament... but it could be fun, though I'm not joining any tournament you run lol you don't have the best success with that :P

Albeit I usually become occupied when I host games, I should be able to host better games now, L.