mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 12:51:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 12:50:27 PM, OreEle wrote:
http://ddomafia.com...

what makes one game a "concept" game, and another one not a "concept" game?

If the mod wants to skip the line.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 1:52:19 PM
I think there is a certain evolution to the mafia games that's going on here. I also think that it's good in that they're getting more interesting and exciting to play; but i can see the traditional games as being boring now, and not terribly compelling to participate in. I can see this in the Meme game, where it is large and not exciting, no twists and honestly i have no desire to continue to play.

Now my concern is, i am scheduled to mod a game, and i haven't put any sort of twist in the game like the new concept games have, although they have given me ideas. I think it's great that there are new roles that we're developing, although it's good to know that this is a possible direction when you're playing. As a first time mod, I'm getting some help from a more experienced mod/player, and i think that moving forward it is going to be important that the games are up to some of the challenges that the concept games have provided.
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 2:07:39 PM
I think it has to be fundamentally different than a regular mafia game. Besides that, it is hard to provide a definition that could be applied to everyone wanting to try something new (we will have to decide each games legitimacy case-by-case).

My new concept game that I signed up in the Mod List thread seems to fit that criteria. Rather than giving everyone a role (like Doctor, Cop, etc.), provide people with abilities (healing, revival, killing, etc.). This would provide the opportunity to give multiple 'abilities' to a single person.

Some new abilities that I have thought of:

-Revealed (or maybe leader or something): In the first Day Phase, the entire game will know every ability you have and which side you are on (for this it would obviously be town). You do not count towards the town majority. (I'm unsure if I'd let this person lynch).

-DP/NP Immunity (intended for the revealed player): You can not be killed during the DP/NP

-Agent (this is already a role): You can start a PM thread with X players per day phase.

I've thought of some others, but am unsure if I should reveal them if I'm going to do this game.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 2:26:39 PM
Concept games are supposed to be non-traditional mafia games. For example, Panda created a concept game called Kingmaker (which I thought was great). The town would start with one Kingmaker, which is the sole person who gets to decide who is lynched during the day phase. I'm pretty sure a new Kingmaker was voted in every day phase. I forget all the details but needless to say it was an interesting concept.

With my most recent game, the "twist" was that almost every single role was new which changed the dynamic of traditional mafia. Now I'll respond to a few things from your post on DDO Mafia...

"The purpose of the list is to slow down the huge supply for modding, compared to the relatively low demand for mafia games."

See, this is what I said in another thread about "paying your dues." I'm not going to play in a mod's game that never plays. If you want to host a game and have your idea come into fruition, then you ought to help other mods put THEIR ideas into fruition. Several upcoming mods are ones who rarely or never play in anybody else's games and I personally think that's lame. I don't care if other people play (obviously) but I wouldn't. The people who always sign up but never play might not be the most anticipated mods either.

"Why is a list even needed? This has been brought up a few times, mostly by Bluesteel, though others have followed."

As I said, it's been brought up long before blue but what happened is that with a "free market" list, several games would be going on at once which all diminished the quality of each game. Sometimes people would post in the wrong thread revealing their roles in other games, sometimes activity and participation in particular games dropped, etc. Also there are lots of "good" mods so how would you decide when to go/host? At best there would be an unofficial list. I have about 4 games with roles and themes already decided and ready to go, so I could literally mod at the drop of a hat. But I bet a lot of people could or would want to. Anyway maybe you should try a temporary suspension of the official list and see how it works out. I'm willing to bet you go back to the list (I say you because I can't play mafia starting in May) in a relatively short amount of time. But you guys should try it. I think what will happen is that people who want to mod might get bitter about you not signing up for their games and maybe not play in yours? I dunno I just see kinda chaos but admittedly the list is long and crappy so try an alternative I suppose.

"Danielle... had her game crippled due to lack of participation. The game hit 4 DPs in a row which ended in a no lynch through expired time limits."

I completely agree that several games going on at once can be confusing, but in fairness a lack of participation is not why there were no lynches. Only 2 people were pretty inactive (CCstate and Leafrod) though Leaf was killed early and CCstate was replaced. The reason that happened is because the mafia confused the sh!t out of everyone and nobody could agree on who to lynch. There were plenty of votes and people voting, so lack of participation had nothing to do with it. It was because all the votes were scattered on so many different people that the day phase ended in a NL.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 2:28:57 PM
At 4/19/2011 2:07:39 PM, Johnicle wrote:
I've thought of some others, but am unsure if I should reveal them if I'm going to do this game.

Haha where were you 2 weeks ago when I was asking people to send me a list of roles created by us DDO members? I'm going to compile a list of new roles next week for future mods to incorporate into their game. You should post them so I can add it to a huge cohesive list of potential mafia roles, so that mods have a bunch more to choose from instead of just the traditional. I think that will make the games more interesting.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 2:30:28 PM
I also loved Quickfire Mafia. I would play in a Quickfire game if someone hosted another. You have 10 minute day phases and 5 minute night phases. The game would last 1--2 hours. I know there are people who sit their a$ses on DDO for a lot longer than that at a time so it could work. You just need X amount of people to commit to being online at once at a certain time.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 2:35:20 PM
At 4/19/2011 2:26:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
Concept games are supposed to be non-traditional mafia games. For example, Panda created a concept game called Kingmaker (which I thought was great). The town would start with one Kingmaker, which is the sole person who gets to decide who is lynched during the day phase. I'm pretty sure a new Kingmaker was voted in every day phase. I forget all the details but needless to say it was an interesting concept.

Wasn't "King Maker" done a few times? Why was it that it stopped? Maybe it could be brought back if successful.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 2:39:58 PM
At 4/19/2011 2:35:20 PM, OreEle wrote:
Wasn't "King Maker" done a few times? Why was it that it stopped? Maybe it could be brought back if successful.

I'm not sure. I only remember playing in it once, the first time it was tried when Panda hosted it. Sure it can be brought back... I think it's a concept game :P See some people only like or strongly prefer traditional mafia (I'm one of them). Ragnar once hosted a mafia game that he advertised as a mafia game but really wasn't one at all. It had several mafias and was far more like an RPG. That would be a "concept" mafia game I guess.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 2:44:23 PM
At 4/19/2011 2:39:58 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 4/19/2011 2:35:20 PM, OreEle wrote:

I'm not sure. I only remember playing in it once, the first time it was tried when Panda hosted it. Sure it can be brought back... I think it's a concept game :P See some people only like or strongly prefer traditional mafia (I'm one of them). Ragnar once hosted a mafia game that he advertised as a mafia game but really wasn't one at all. It had several mafias and was far more like an RPG. That would be a "concept" mafia game I guess.

I might try to work that into my multi-town game (no idea when I'm going to get to roll that one out). It basically has 3 or 4 towns (and only 1 mafia), each with 4 players. The townies don't know which town everyone else belongs to and they are competing against each other for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Each role is given so many points (1 for vanilla, 2 for cop, 3 for doctor, and so on). When the game ends, the town with the most points left alive wins (unless the mafia win, in which case, the town with the most points gets 2nd). That way, if one town starts to fall behind (the town that players are on are revealed upon their deaths), they may start turning on each other to improve their own town scores.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"