Jump to topic:

The Awesome Game of Risk

nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 8:28:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I always loved the game Risk and wondering if I have create something like that on Debate.org would people play it.
Also wondering am I allowed to make something like this on Debate.org?
I just think something like 8-player game where each player is assigned a continent and you state your battle plan to conquer the world is pretty cool.
The other players will have to come up with their counter attacks....

This is just an idea.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 10:57:23 PM
At 4/25/2011 8:28:44 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
I always loved the game Risk and wondering if I have create something like that on Debate.org would people play it.
I just think something like 8-player game where each player is assigned a continent and you state your battle plan to conquer the world is pretty cool.

This is just an idea.

Do it. We encourage developing new forum games here.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 11:18:49 PM
At 4/25/2011 10:57:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:

This is just an idea.

Do it. We encourage developing new forum games here.

thanks man
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 1:53:08 PM
Good luck!
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 4:17:58 PM

This is just an idea.

Love the game, and would love to play. Ever play diplomacy? That might even be more doable on DDO.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 6:56:33 PM
Count me in as well kind sir.
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 7:46:29 PM
I'm in if there's room.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 8:28:53 PM
At 4/26/2011 4:17:58 PM, innomen wrote:

This is just an idea.

Love the game, and would love to play. Ever play diplomacy? That might even be more doable on DDO.

I actually started to try and adapt Diplomacy a few weeks ago, but never went through it. lol

I considered adapting Risk but figured this would be HELLA easier with Diplomacy. But the logistics of maps for BOTH games proved most challenging. lol
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 8:40:11 PM
At 4/26/2011 8:28:53 PM, M.Torres wrote:

This is just an idea.

I actually started to try and adapt Diplomacy a few weeks ago, but never went through it. lol

I considered adapting Risk but figured this would be HELLA easier with Diplomacy. But the logistics of maps for BOTH games proved most challenging. lol

I agree with the fact about the map....
Its not going to be easy, but I think if it happens it will be fun.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 8:50:08 PM
Good luck completing the game. I don't think it will work. Try to limit the number of players in the first game. If it works the first time, I'll do it the second.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:14:28 AM

This is just an idea.

Good idea. Count me in. But it will be hard to make it work.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:25:05 AM
At 4/26/2011 8:28:53 PM, M.Torres wrote:

This is just an idea.

I think you'd need to make it a hybrid of the two actually to make it work and make it interetesting. Diplomacy isn't that far away from being like mafia.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 1:45:46 AM
Hey guys!
The concept for the game is really difficult....
So far I am not sure if I should do some thing like countries (Germany, Russia, USA, England, France, and China) fighting.
Or
Just the original Risk type which is all eight continents.
The map is a biggest problem.

I was thinking that if we go with the countries idea that every country has a special power or advantages.
Only 6 countries in mind so far.....
Germany- Blitz (Faster movement of troops.)
Russia - Nuclear Power (Able to conquer one area in one turn without fighting for that area.)
USA - Secret Ops (Able to attack without letting the enemy know who attacked.)
England - Fortification (Receive extra reinforcement when attacked in England.)
France - Poison (Destroy 1/2 of enemies soldiers when took over.)
China - Army (Receives more reinforcements every turn)

These are only ideas.
If you have any other ideas tell me please.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 1:49:14 AM
At 4/30/2011 1:45:46 AM, nerdykiller wrote:
Hey guys!
So far I am not sure if I should do some thing like countries (Germany, Russia, USA, England, France, and China) fighting.
Or

I was thinking that if we go with the countries idea that every country has a special power or advantages.
Russia - Nuclear Power (Able to conquer one area in one turn without fighting for that area.)

These are only ideas.

Well I could guess it was America if I didn't know who attacked. :P
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 1:57:00 AM
At 4/30/2011 1:49:14 AM, M.Torres wrote:
Hey guys!
Or

These are only ideas.

Well I could guess it was America if I didn't know who attacked. :P

ah cr@p I messed up.....
I will fix it later...
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 1:58:02 AM
But is it okay concept?
Having the countries....
I think they are evened out.
I will fix them later, but for now they are pretty good.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 12:55:35 PM
Hey guys!
Or
8 continents? there are only 7 on the planet for real and only 6 conquerable continents on the risk board (minus-ing ant-Antarctica). the risk 2022 board has the sea's on the moon and the different underwater citys as capturable territory which is cool. if your risk game has a nerdy theme of some kind like that behind it I'm all for it.

I saw in mafia game that was conquest theamed once wjm basically made his own picture and colored it in to go with each day phases results and put it in his pictures for this site and gave a link.

you could openly demand all who play must own a classic risk board (or 2022 risk board if you go that diriction but that probably wont work :( ) and tell everyone to reserve a space in there house for the board to sit at for weeks until the game is over. then just give the instructions to the player for what you judge the board should look like after every turn. to be honest I think this is actually doable since chances are most who are interested in playing own a risk board anyway.

if need be for our houses cleanness purposes and we must put the board up at the end of the day, it would be easy to just set up were we left off again with your posting what it should look like all throughout the game. and if you fall short do to inactive modding of this game then its just as easy for us to move and not get the board out again to set it up again.

faster how? infentry just move one adjacent conquered country per turn when reinforcing right, so how much more countries will 'faster' mean and what are the limits
this needs some limitations added to or this is just overpowering whoever owns Russia (or do you mean thats our special powers if we get a role 'Russia' like we get roles in mafia even if we don't own Russia the territory itself?). even if I restricted myself from attacking more than once per turn, its too easy to just conquer everywhere if you get that one free one every turn. no matter what you meant by 'Russia' I am against giving the ability to conquer a country without possible cost. its not a 'Risk' anymore.
same thing torres said
I'm okay with this one
okay with this one too
not this one depending on how much 'more' is. if its just like one extra renforcement I'm okay with it, 2 is pushing it, and at 3 this is overpowering player I think. not quite as much as the nuke power does, but given all the other reinforcements people get by other means the easy path to getting more troops will make the game a little too easy for the 'China' player.

These are only ideas.

I'd practice seeing how this game works on a normal version first just to see if you can work coordinating it before adding the special power roles.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 12:57:40 PM
At 4/30/2011 9:59:06 AM, MonsieurChen wrote:
Kevin count me in too! If there is no space-- I'll be happy to be an alternative

this is like this guys only post ever, don't make him a player over me if it comes down to that, or anyone else, and don't start a game with him unless there is an available alternative.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 1:07:31 PM
At 5/1/2011 12:57:40 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/30/2011 9:59:06 AM, MonsieurChen wrote:
Kevin count me in too! If there is no space-- I'll be happy to be an alternative

this is like this guys only post ever, don't make him a player over me if it comes down to that, or anyone else, and don't start a game with him unless there is an available alternative.

I agree.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 7:49:44 PM
lol
Sorry I will think about it more, but its going to take a while...
Finals at school this week or next eek.
Don't really remember.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 4:43:40 PM
At 5/1/2011 12:55:35 PM, Marauder wrote:
Hey guys!
Or
8 continents? there are only 7 on the planet for real and only 6 conquerable continents on the risk board (minus-ing ant-Antarctica). the risk 2022 board has the sea's on the moon and the different underwater citys as capturable territory which is cool. if your risk game has a nerdy theme of some kind like that behind it I'm all for it.

I will make it 8 by creating some thing like what you said...
If we don't do the continent idea...

I saw in mafia game that was conquest theamed once wjm basically made his own picture and colored it in to go with each day phases results and put it in his pictures for this site and gave a link.
That is a great idea!
Thank you I will do something like that.
you could openly demand all who play must own a classic risk board (or 2022 risk board if you go that diriction but that probably wont work :( ) and tell everyone to reserve a space in there house for the board to sit at for weeks until the game is over. then just give the instructions to the player for what you judge the board should look like after every turn. to be honest I think this is actually doable since chances are most who are interested in playing own a risk board anyway.

its okay I will make a map and I will post the pictures.
if need be for our houses cleanness purposes and we must put the board up at the end of the day, it would be easy to just set up were we left off again with your posting what it should look like all throughout the game. and if you fall short do to inactive modding of this game then its just as easy for us to move and not get the board out again to set it up again.

faster how? infentry just move one adjacent conquered country per turn when reinforcing right, so how much more countries will 'faster' mean and what are the limits
Like you can send two units to move two times.
this needs some limitations added to or this is just overpowering whoever owns Russia (or do you mean thats our special powers if we get a role 'Russia' like we get roles in mafia even if we don't own Russia the territory itself?). even if I restricted myself from attacking more than once per turn, its too easy to just conquer everywhere if you get that one free one every turn. no matter what you meant by 'Russia' I am against giving the ability to conquer a country without possible cost. its not a 'Risk' anymore.
No i meant it could take a portion of a country.
How do you feel ifI give the ability a cooldown of 3 turns.
same thing torres said
Maybe then the ability can also frame another country of attacking.
I'm okay with this one
okay with this one too
not this one depending on how much 'more' is. if its just like one extra renforcement I'm okay with it, 2 is pushing it, and at 3 this is overpowering player I think. not quite as much as the nuke power does, but given all the other reinforcements people get by other means the easy path to getting more troops will make the game a little too easy for the 'China' player.

receive one two extra unit to one place only ( the place as in a portion of the country)
These are only ideas.

I'd practice seeing how this game works on a normal version first just to see if you can work coordinating it before adding the special power roles.
hmmm
do you really think so?