Video Game Top-10 GOAT

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 11:17:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
[Inspired by the Mario thread, but with a little more organization.]

I'm an older gamer, and haven't really played a lot of the new ones after the year 2000, so my list will certainly be a bit older than what the opinions of our younger crowd will yield. I believe it's hard to make a mark in this newer generation, as most of the more startling innovations have been discovered already. Please note the year of the game's release for reference, as the relativity to the existing technology is of prime importance.

1. The Legend of Zelda - 1986
Hands-down the GOAT. Zelda invented adventure in video-gaming. It also invented 'epic.' The ability to tour many stages of dungeons, collect money and buy cool weapons, and build your character up through hours of play was unheard of before Zelda (at least in any meaningful sense). The music was and still is top-notch, the gaming engine is flawless, and the graphics were very inviting. 25 years old, and still worth your time - hours of it.

Later versions of Zelda were awesome, but none carried the relative impressiveness of the original. Zelda II was somewhat of a disappointment in comparison, even though it was an impressive title nonetheless. Zelda III was a genuine improvement over the original (unlike Zelda II) but it was years before this game surfaced and and there were too many other good titles to compete with it to make the top 10 list. Ocarina of Time was supposedly the most critically-acclaimed title in history, but I personally didn't care for the 3D version of Zelda at all and while it was truly ground-breaking, again there was just so many other great games of other types that it wasn't going to steal the show like the original did. Comparatively speaking the original far outdoes its predecessors - just look at what we had to choose from in 1986!

2. GTA III - 2001
Before GTA III, racing games had very little depth. You had one street to travel on, and if you went off the beaten path there would be an imaginary wall to block you. This game wasn't the true pioneer of the open-environment concept, but it certainly takes the crown based on its quality. The ability to just turn left or right anywhere and drive felt like you were jumping straight out of the video game and into the real world, since prior games were so restrictive. I can still remember my shock and thrill at experiencing this.

3. Super Mario Bros - 1985
SMB conquered videogaming when it debuted. Its fluid control and bright, crisp graphics were unmatched prior to its arrival. SMB grabbed the throne of video-gaming and has arguably retained it for nearly three decades.

4. Tetris - 1987
Tetris combined simplicity, grace, and challenge like no other game ever will. You just can't; there's something about the program that is more of a physical truth, waiting to be unearthed like some mathematical formula, than an actual creative program. If we met aliens from another galaxy, chances are they would have a version of Tetris in their ancient libraries (along with pong). There's a reason Tetris continues to sell, as in make money off of, copies of its program 24 years after its release (through the cell-phone market).

5. Phantasy Star III - 1990
OK this is my spot for my personal pick, and I doubt anyone will agree with me on it. PSIII is the most under-rated game in history. PSIII is the only serious role-playing game of any quality that has ever been released. If you look at the comparable titles of the era, even pushing out several years later, there is nothing that looks even half as good as this game. Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy were the other two major RPGs out there, and they looked like garbage compared to this title. Not only were the graphics amazingly crisp and clear, but the music was astounding. Zelda is the only game with music as well composed. PSIII maintained a serious feel while other RPGs went for furry, huggable characters or silly cartoonish anime. It's menus were very user-friendly and the gaming engine was inviting and easy to learn. The production was rushed, so there were some imbalances in the choices you had to make (combat magic was wholly ineffective, for example) but it is still one of the funnest RPGs you can possibly play.

6. Super Mario Bros 3 - 1990
When SMB3 came out, it was like a tidal wave hitting game stores. I remember renting it for the first time and having to be put on a wait list, and then having to get a talk-to from the game store owner to discuss special reparations if the cartridge wasn't returned on-time. This game was absolutely amazing. It wasn't as original as the first two SMBs, but it definitely raised the ceiling for quality and its replay value was far better than the other two.

7. Quake - 1996
Move over FPSs, a new standard is here. It's 3am and I'm blowing apart a n00b with a nail-gun who lives 2,000 miles away. What exactly did you say a social life was, again? Quake was to FPS what Micheal Jordan was to basketball. It was the first to employ actual 3D graphics - so now I can go around to the back of something and actually see a rear-view instead of watching it turn with me as I strafe. The gaming engine was amazing and the sound-effects were done by none other than Trent Reznor. Even with later games with better graphics and sound quality, nothing approaches that creepy effect that Q1 had, at least outside of the Resident Evil series which wasn't even the same Genre.

8. Street Fighter II - 1991
Before SFII, fighting games were not worth mentioning. This game was the arcade superstar; Beating your friends with Ryu or Guile was all that mattered if your arcade had a SFII cabinet. Although MK and Tekken would eventually steal the lime-light, SFII had the jump on them and most of the excitement over this genre would be in front of a SFII cabinet, not Tekken or MK.

9. Goldeneye 007 - 1997
Rare created the standard for console FPS gaming engines with this title. Later versions of Bond by EA would go right into the trash. Crisp graphics, unbelievably fun gameplay (both in one and multiplayer modes), and great music make this title the last great advancement for console FPS. Newer games have much better graphics and many new bells and whistles, but nothing created since is a true advancement from this game, at least for use with a gamepad.

10. Civilization - 1991
No explanation needed. Very original, fun and addicting.

Honorable Mention: Quake III -1999
Quake III was for the computer what Goldeneye was for console FPS - the gold standard which has been yet to be surpassed (other than improving graphics and adding bells and whistles). Quakelive.com continues the QIII experience through a totally-free FPS online experience which is the ultimate test for skill; other games depend mostly on buying weapons and building up your character, while QIII is all skill. There is no ceiling for skill on this game; advanced players learn ways to propel themselves through the levels with rockets, learn to shoot more accurately, and learn to dodge enemy fire all while starting on equal ground each match with no character-building. The weapons are also magnificently balanced so that each weapon has certain advantages based on distance, elevation, etc. and no one weapon is clearly superior to another, unlike other games where you simply fight to get more powerful guns.
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 6:40:33 PM
At 6/10/2011 11:18:45 AM, Brainmaster wrote:
Zelda 1 and 2 are God. The rest are good but overrated.

That's interesting that you wouldn't like Zelda 3, considering it's just a beefed up version of Zelda 1. I can see why you wouldn't like the later ones which are 3D...
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:13:01 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics takes #1 for me, followed by Final Fantasy 7, than Chrono Trigger. Super Mario Bros (SNES) was pretty good, and of course love all the secret of Gaia, Legend of Mana, and Legend of Evermore.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:16:26 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:13:01 PM, OreEle wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics takes #1 for me, followed by Final Fantasy 7, than Chrono Trigger. Super Mario Bros (SNES) was pretty good, and of course love all the secret of Gaia, Legend of Mana, and Legend of Evermore.

Chrono Trigger is the best game of all time. Of all time!

FF tactics is genius.

FF7 is commercialized JRPG crap. It ruined the genre by sending it over the top.
Kfc.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:22:25 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics takes #1 for me

Have you played the Tactics 1.3 Fan-Hack? It turns a great game into an insanely great game.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:24:48 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:16:26 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

Chrono Trigger is the best game of all time. Of all time!

FF tactics is genius.

I've gotta say that Tactics is better than Trigger, though both are amazing.

FF7 is commercialized JRPG crap. It ruined the genre by sending it over the top.

Bull, the depth of the story is almost on par with Tactics, and surpases trigger. The character development is (of Cloud, Tifa, and Aries) is just as good, if not better than Tactics. The battles are classic style, so you can't knock it for that though tactics battles were much more in-depth. And the graphics were cutting edge at the time.

And the materia system was great. It created a new spin on equipment and allowed for so many different combinations, as well as having to consider how everything effected everything else. Having too many summons would greatly hurt your stregth and HP.

Plus going back through to get everything (Aries's level 4 limit break, epic), made it enjoyable time after time. I still start the game over are play it, probably once or twice a year (though I do the same with Tactics and Trigger aswell).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:25:34 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:22:25 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

Have you played the Tactics 1.3 Fan-Hack? It turns a great game into an insanely great game.

...give me a download link, or I swear to God I will find you and kill.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:26:25 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:25:34 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/10/2011 7:22:25 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

...give me a download link, or I swear to God I will find you and kill.

I already know that you're somewhere in Ireland/ That's narrowed it down about 99.93%
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:27:21 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:24:48 PM, OreEle wrote:

Bull, the depth of the story is almost on par with Tactics, and surpases trigger. The character development is (of Cloud, Tifa, and Aries) is just as good, if not better than Tactics. The battles are classic style, so you can't knock it for that though tactics battles were much more in-depth. And the graphics were cutting edge at the time.

And the materia system was great. It created a new spin on equipment and allowed for so many different combinations, as well as having to consider how everything effected everything else. Having too many summons would greatly hurt your stregth and HP.

Plus going back through to get everything (Aries's level 4 limit break, epic), made it enjoyable time after time. I still start the game over are play it, probably once or twice a year (though I do the same with Tactics and Trigger aswell).

It was a good game. But it commercialized the genre to the level we are now.
Kfc.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:31:16 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:27:21 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

So you're saying it made JRPGs too popular? They should have made it less good, so that JRPG could continue to be somewhat small?

I disagree.

Nearly every RPG was Japanese to begin with, I mean, nearly every gaming system was Japanese.

You had Zelda, well established before FF7, you even had the FF1, 2, and 3 (or 4, 5, and 6) which were successful in their own right. As well as Chrono Trigger (though I thought Chrono Cross had too many twists in it, it was hard to follow at times).
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:33:43 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:31:16 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/10/2011 7:27:21 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

So you're saying it made JRPGs too popular? They should have made it less good, so that JRPG could continue to be somewhat small?

I disagree.

Nearly every RPG was Japanese to begin with, I mean, nearly every gaming system was Japanese.

You had Zelda, well established before FF7, you even had the FF1, 2, and 3 (or 4, 5, and 6) which were successful in their own right. As well as Chrono Trigger (though I thought Chrono Cross had too many twists in it, it was hard to follow at times).

Earthbound, Chrono trigger and FF3/6 all happened before the explosion of JRPGs.
Kfc.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:35:12 PM
Zelda isn't considered RPG, but Action-Adventure. And it's the best Action-Adventure series ever.

@OP: It's a shame you didn't like the 3D Zelda. I actually played Ocarina of Time first, and it was rather amazing, although also excruciatingly difficult at times. I personally preferred Majora's Mask, but Twilight Princess tops both of them.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:37:20 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:35:12 PM, mongeese wrote:
Zelda isn't considered RPG, but Action-Adventure. And it's the best Action-Adventure series ever.

@OP: It's a shame you didn't like the 3D Zelda. I actually played Ocarina of Time first, and it was rather amazing, although also excruciatingly difficult at times. I personally preferred Majora's Mask, but Twilight Princess tops both of them.

Wind waker rapes every one of them
Kfc.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:44:58 PM
super fail thread

I will have a counter-list soon
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 7:47:01 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:44:58 PM, askbob wrote:
super fail thread

I will have a counter-list soon

And I will have a counter list consisting of games no one has ever played because I found them dumped out the back of GameStop
Kfc.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 8:17:44 PM
Gameboy, NES, SNES, N64

1. Mario Bros All Stars including Super Mario Bros. (SNES)

2. Zelda Links Awakening (GB)

3. Secret of Mana (SNES)

4. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)

5. Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)

6. Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)

7. GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark (N64)

8. StarFox (N64)

9. Super Mario 64 (N64)

10. Super Smash Bros (N64)

--CD Games--

1. Civ 5

2. Age of the Empires 2

3. Age of Mythology

4. Baldurs Gate Weidu

5. Warcraft 2

6. Total Annihilation

7. The Sims

8. X-COM UFO Defense

9. Diablo II

10. Doom

11. Half Life 2

--Other/Honorable Mention--

1. Super Smash Bros Melee (GC)

2. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)

3. Super Mario Kart (SNES)

4. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

5. Grand Theft Auto Series (Mult)

6. Tony Hawk Pro Skater (GC)

7. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (SNES)

8. Guitar Hero (PS2?)

9. Street Fighter II

10. Final Fantasy Series
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 8:19:06 PM
At 6/10/2011 8:17:44 PM, askbob wrote:
Gameboy, NES, SNES, N64

3. Secret of Mana (SNES)

4. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)

8. StarFox (N64)

9. Super Mario 64 (N64)

--CD Games--

1. Civ 5

2. Age of the Empires 2

3. Age of Mythology

4. Baldurs Gate Weidu

5. Warcraft 2

6. Total Annihilation

7. The Sims

8. X-COM UFO Defense

9. Diablo II

10. Doom

11. Half Life 2

4. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

8. Guitar Hero (PS2?)

9. Street Fighter II

10. Final Fantasy Series

I agree with that list. It's just not really fun to read without descriptions and reasons for choosing though.
Kfc.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 8:28:45 PM
At 6/10/2011 8:19:06 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
I agree with that list. It's just not really fun to read without descriptions and reasons for choosing though.

I don't need a description. Most everyone has played those games and if they haven't they should. I just don't have the time to explain the whole list, but I can tell you that they are the best games ever invented.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 8:29:47 PM
At 6/10/2011 8:28:45 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/10/2011 8:19:06 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

I don't need a description. Most everyone has played those games and if they haven't they should. I just don't have the time to explain the whole list, but I can tell you that they are the best games ever invented.

Also, Guitar Hero FTW.
Kfc.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 8:42:31 PM
At 6/10/2011 7:35:12 PM, mongeese wrote:

Yeah I'm willing to admit it's just taste... just being old-fashioned I guess :)
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 8:57:55 PM
At 6/10/2011 8:17:44 PM, askbob wrote:
Gameboy, NES, SNES, N64

When Super Mario All-stars came out, there were so many better games around it is unbelievable.

Never played.

3. Secret of Mana (SNES)

Never Played, but I have the emulator so I'll check it out.

4. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)

Never played.

Not a fan of the 3D-style games, but again that's just my taste and this game was highly decorated.

Never played, but have emulator...

Good job. I can't count how many hours I spent playing these two, probably my single favorite games as a pair.

8. StarFox (N64)

Awesome game. Never give up! Trust your instincts!

9. Super Mario 64 (N64)

Again, not a 3D guy. I also thought the originals were comparably better given the options of the day.

Excellent game, although OAT?

--CD Games--

1. Civ 5

Geez, they made it to 5? I made it through 1 and dabbled with 2... you make me feel old!

2. Age of the Empires 2

Never played.

3. Age of Mythology

Never heard of.

4. Baldurs Gate Weidu

Never heard of.

5. Warcraft 2

Played the first one, (I think it was the first one). It was in '97, I know that...

6. Total Annihilation

Never heard of.

7. The Sims

I had a fat friend who was playing this once... had his character on a treadmill. The irony was... astounding. Seeing people waste their lives playing a game while they are sending their characters to college and all that is just tragic.

8. X-COM UFO Defense

Never heard of.

9. Diablo II

Never played.

10. Doom

The second FPS, definitely the standard of it's day, but it wasn't the true pioneer like wolfenstein, didn't start the 3D engine like Quake... I wouldn't say it deserves GOAT status over other such obvious choices.

11. Half Life 2

I've heard this is awesome, still never got to play it. I just refuse to spend money on them and have to wait until they are dirt-cheap/free.

Good, not ground-breaking though. The Wii one is really cool.

Arguably GOAT status, but a hard argument to make.

Could make an argument for this one based on originality.

4. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

I started a game with this on my emulator, I'm trying to get past the cartoony graphics (SNES was infamous for this) but it seems to have cool minigames and stuff in it.

Good job.

Could make an argument.

I'm working my way through Ganon's castle right now, this game is really cool but I would argue the original was much more ground-breaking.

8. Guitar Hero (PS2?)

Definitely original.

9. Street Fighter II

Good choice.

10. Final Fantasy Series

The early one's were cartoony, I prefer Phantasy Star (especially III) but the later ones are supposedly really good (never played them myself). I'm not into the anime-type graphics, or the skinny dude with the 800 pound sword. But that's probably just me being stubborn.
kfc