Jump to topic:

Unconventional mafia mod idea

feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 8:39:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
OK, so I really want to run my game with 26 characters but only have 21 sign ups right now. I'm considering starting the game without assigning some of the less significant roles and then putting the first few dead townies back in as add-ons in these other characters/roles.

Do other mods and players think this is a good idea?
Can anyone point out any flaws with it or problems it might cause?

Thanks.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:32:22 PM
well, given that your keeping the roles you deemed good to saturate the sign-ups; meaning they are guaranteed to to be the first ones mafia take out regardless of who the choose to kill, yeah I think there would be a few hitches.

doing what you are suggesting would be a lot like just making the first few people to die to be slightly immune to death, death would only mean a dulled down role for them until all the roles are used up. given that all your 'on hold' roles will be town, it does provide a advantage to the town in there lynch power.

so town and mafia have a few new advantages on there side if you did it like that.

not sure what you could do to remove the towns advantage from not being able to die/ even knowing that the ones who came in as immediate replacements where confirmed, But to balance out the mafias advantage in there virtual guarantee to eliminate the good town powers first, you could purposely keep some of the better roles on your reserve list.

or better yet make it clear your using a random number generator to determine what roles will be on temporary hold so no correlation can be reasoned on if new roles are probably good ones the mafia want to target or bad.

if you plan on including a mafia role 'on hold' spot that might cause problems if its not a dead mafia member when it increases the ranks of mafia players that can vote against the town in the middle of the game, and it might cause problems when its given to a dead mafia player in that the town could reason since he replaced it he must be mafia. really there is no good way to put mafia in there.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 3:07:15 PM
At 6/16/2011 8:39:42 AM, feverish wrote:
Can anyone point out any flaws with it or problems it might cause?

You can't let anyone with privileged information back into the game until that information becomes objectively useless. Like, if the game starts with three masons that can't recruit new members, and one of them dies in NP1, you can't let the dead one back in until all the other masons are dead.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:36:29 AM
sounds like it'd make for much more efficient role use and might speed up the game a whole lot, but i wouldn't think it'd throw the balance. besides maybe that a mafioso could benefit far more from entering the game as an initially inactive than a townie could.
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:29:24 AM
At 6/17/2011 5:36:29 AM, el-badgero wrote:
sounds like it'd make for much more efficient role use and might speed up the game a whole lot, but i wouldn't think it'd throw the balance. besides maybe that a mafioso could benefit far more from entering the game as an initially inactive than a townie could.

which might be balanced out what with the town usually having more roles than the mafia.

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:31:04 AM
i say go for it if it's that you want to get this game going already. you could use it to make the game more interesting too maybe? whatever though.. i'd play now anyway :)